[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Beloved MU Player Since Wade  (Read 9907 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Most Beloved MU Player Since Wade
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
I seriously considered adding Heldt to my "most beloved by fans" list. Based on our Scooper sample size, more seem to love and appreciate him than they do Howard, which is, um, "fun."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »
Any list that doesn't include Ousmane is wrong.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
Yea, beloved doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, so tough to make any all-encompassing list, but like SCOTUS' old obscenity test, you'll know it when you see it. But I do appreciate everyone's responses.

(Though I do think the Heldt/Otule/Frozenas of MU deserve a separate section because they are almost universally loved and it has nothing to do with basketball.)

My personal 5 (with the caveat that I started in '08):
1. Howard - I've never enjoyed watching someone play basketball as much I do with him.
2. Jimmy - All effort, clutch shots, and knew him a bit in college. Shining on the Bulls helped.
3. Jae - Ruthless and effective. That senior season keeps getting better with age.
4. Zar - I was mentally prepared for a letdown season after '09, but '10 was such a surprise. So tough.
5. S. Hauser - He dropped a bit, obvi, but his game is so smooth. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
Just about every analyst feels pretty similarly about Markus.  You must be smarter than all of them.  I hope you're as good at whatever your day job is as you are at analyzing basketball, because clearly you're the smartest man in the room when it comes to analyzing basketball.
Every analyst believes Howard is the most beloved Warrior since Wade?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
Andy Katz is out of his mind.

Why? If Markus leads Marquette on a nice tourney run, he should be beloved. The Amigos never got beyond the first weekend and a S16 will match what Jae and JFB accomplished. He will be the all time leading scorer and represents the university wonderfully off the court.

If someone has trouble with him after all that, they should look in the mirror.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
This off the court stuff is a bunch of nonsense. Check the post game threads from last year if you think he’s “beloved.” It’s not just me.

The program is trying to get ahead of the fact that a guy who isn’t just a ball hog but seems actually UNABLE to pass is going to become our all time leading scorer. This after the player who may have actually been our “most beloved since Wade” (Sam) transferred because Howard announced he was returning.

Katz is in no position to make such a statement. He doesn’t know who is “beloved.” That is coming from the university and it’s nonsense. Wojo started this sales job in his presser after the Hausers left.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »
This off the court stuff is a bunch of nonsense. Check the post game threads from last year if you think he’s “beloved.” It’s not just me.

Yeah, I kinda think it is.  Okay, you and Joey Hauser.

Have some patience, FFS.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »

The program is trying to get ahead of the fact that a guy who isn’t just a ball hog but seems actually UNABLE to pass is going to become our all time leading scorer. This after the player who may have actually been our “most beloved since Wade” (Sam) transferred because Howard announced he was returning.

Katz is in no position to make such a statement. He doesn’t know who is “beloved.” That is coming from the university and it’s nonsense. Wojo started this sales job in his presser after the Hausers left.

A lot of the responses in this thread support the notion he is quite beloved by many.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

checkmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
- Gardner
- Frozena
- Butler
- Crowder
- DJO

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »

A guy who is UNABLE to pass led the team with 4 assists per game last season and led the team in assist rate at 27.3% last season.  That is an unbelievable feat for a guy who is UNABLE to pass the ball.

But yeah you're probably right, the university called up Andy Katz and said, "Andy, our fanbase absolutely hates that we have an All American returning to our team and we really need some good press for him  PLEASE ANDY!  Please!  Write that the fanbase loves Markus Howard!  If they read it coming from you, they'll really start to believe it!  We need this, he's about to break our all time scoring record in the first game of his senior season, having come in a year early!"

OR maybe Andy has 1/100th of a brain and realizes that Markus is a once in a generation talent and that all but maybe 2 fans who call the kid a "cancer" even though he's, again, a returning All American who will break MU's scoring record by the end of the first game of what should be his junior year of college is, well, beloved for both his outstanding basketball abilities and being an outstanding ambassador for the university.

I'm sure Michigan State called up Katz to please put in a good word about Cassius Winston.

PRN is the cancer of MUScoop.  Truly clueless.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »

PRN is the cancer of MUScoop.  Truly clueless.
Maybe I’m the reason the Hausers fled!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »

Falsifications and inaccuracies used to support an argument.

As I said, look in the mirror.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »

Go write a letter about it.  And try to get the rest of Scoop to sign off on the petition.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
A lot of the responses in this thread support the notion he is quite beloved by many.

The responses in this thread support the notion that scoop-ians like to fight with each other -- many times for not very good reasons.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
No order but I'll go with Markus, Wes, Jimmy, Jae, and Jerel.

On a side note, I'm getting old and my memory is fading but just was looking at previous rosters and forgot that the 2010-2011 team had all the following on the team:
JFB
Dwight B.
Jae
DJO
Vander
Jamil
Davante

Bunch of great players.  Too bad they weren't all at their full potential at the same time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
Lots of great options, but here are my quick gut choices:

Diener - a true Warrior and cold-blooded assassin

Markus - a remarkable shooter and outstanding representative for MU

Dominic - a wonderful kid who inspired my daughter to believe she could do anything (to this day, she credits something he said to her for her change from a decent student to an outstanding one)

Derrick - maybe an unpopular choice, but the kid worked his a$$ off, left it all out on the floor and seemed never to let the boo birds and naysayers affect his attitude

Otule - another guy who gave everything he had every time he stepped on the floor, and showed remarkable perseverance

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2019, 01:40:15 PM »
Might change every day if I did this daily...

Davante (Big Sheesh)
Markus (M2N)
Jimmy
Deonte (MBD)
DJO
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
Jae
Wes
Lazar
Markus
Dominic
Diener
Novak
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:50:17 PM by 94Warrior »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Jae
JFB
Markus
Jerel
Lazar
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »

Maybe you're the reason the 4 guys who supposedly were thinking of transferring decided to stay after the Hausers fled and Markus stayed!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
Thanks again for all your responses, here's the writeup, with the full tally at the bottom.

https://painttouches.com/2019/08/02/who-is-marquettes-most-beloved-player-post-wade/

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »

Jerel
Lazar
DJO
Jimmy
Markus

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
Cam!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
Thanks again for all your responses, here's the writeup, with the full tally at the bottom.

https://painttouches.com/2019/08/02/who-is-marquettes-most-beloved-player-post-wade/

I was mostly kidding about Frozena at 1.

Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »
I was mostly kidding about Frozena at 1.

Though he may have had his name chanted more times than anyone in MU history.