[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 317053 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2100 on: January 19, 2020, 10:51:25 PM »
Yeah ... nobody is acting like that.
Just an unusual twist to today's game.

Another odd twist- ex Browns, Ravens, and Dolphins accounted for 24 Niner points tonight. Lots of teams crashing your former Bears party   ::)

I guess when Bears have been your team, it’s all you really have for bragging.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2101 on: January 20, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »
NFL teams spend millions upon millions of dollars on scouting. They analyze and re-analyze and re-re-analyze. So it's always amazing to me when a story like Raheem Mostert happens.

Here's a 27-year-old RB who had been cut by 6 teams and who never has started an NFL game. Yet now, after running for 220 yards in the NFC title game, his teammates and coaches are talking about how great he is, how quickly he hits holes, how much his speed is underestimated, etc.

Now, some of the holes he ran through Sunday was so big that a few Scoopers might have gotten TDs, too. Or at least the elite athletes among us such as Ners.

But still ...

How could so many well-compensated NFL talent evaluators have been so wrong about Mostert for so long?

And before we give the 49ers a gold star for discovering him, let's remember that he had only 40 carries for them from 2016-18 before finally getting some run as Tevin Coleman's backup this season. Heck, Mostert had 11 games this season with 10 or fewer carries, including games of 0, 1 and 4 carries. The Niners underestimated him for years, too.

One of the many things I take from this is how good most guys on a major-league pro sports roster are.

Stories like Mostert are the exception, not the norm. Still, there are enough stories like his -- not only in the NFL, but also in the NBA, NHL and MLB -- to make me believe that many of these barely-on-a-roster guys just need an opportunity.

For many of them, there is a very fine line between being cut and being a major contributor.

I don't know Mostert and I never will, but I still am genuinely happy for his success. It must have taken great belief in himself, perseverance and hard work for him to get to this point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2102 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:55 AM »
Like Porter Moser taking Loyola to a final four.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2103 on: January 20, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »
I guess when Bears have been your team, it’s all you really have for bragging.

It was a joke/odd fact.  Good lord.

Stories like Mostert are the exception, not the norm. Still, there are enough stories like his -- not only in the NFL, but also in the NBA, NHL and MLB -- to make me believe that many of these barely-on-a-roster guys just need an opportunity.

For many of them, there is a very fine line between being cut and being a major contributor.
You can scout and scout, but there is no way to analyze when a player has made tons of speed/strength/football IQ gains during training, until they get out there. Especially when you have such a physically demanding sport, its not crazy to think what leaps someone can take when they are training/focusing full time post-college. 

I think many people, especially with football, take for granted how important team "fit" is.  Whether it be a scheme, or a mindset, or a patient coach/FO, its huge.  Especially for someone that isn't already a world beater.  You see it often in soccer.  A mega talent on the rise scoring tons of goals, or defending super well, transfers to a new club and becomes a non factor or flat out bad.  Cause the fit, the scheme, etc... is just wrong.  The difference is in soccer they often transfer out soon after to a new club or league and can get back on track.  In the NFL, that can mean the end of a career sometimes as you become a nobody for the remainder of your contract as you fall behind.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2104 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:07 AM »
From social media last night

Rodgers record on the road 50-49, Tom Brady is 102-48.  Rodgers one more loss in 50 fewer games.

Aaron Rodgers 3X champion to poor kids in Africa and Haiti

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2105 on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »

Rodgers record on the road 50-49, Tom Brady is 102-48.  Rodgers one more loss in 50 fewer games.

About 60 games at the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins might slightly affect the numbers. I would bet those teams combined might have been over .500 maybe 1/3 of the time at best.

Wouldn't surprise me if 40 of those wins were against those 3 teams.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2106 on: January 20, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »
Jockey

Rodgers has feasted on some bad Lion and Bear teams over his career. In addition, Brady has played a first place schedule for a very long time. Sadly, Rodgers road record, especially against good teams, is not very good.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2107 on: January 20, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »

Wins is not a QB stat.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2108 on: January 20, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
Jockey

Rodgers has feasted on some bad Lion and Bear teams over his career. In addition, Brady has played a first place schedule for a very long time. Sadly, Rodgers road record, especially against good teams, is not very good.

Goose,

I agree - mostly. The majority of years since Brady was in the league, GB has also played a 1st place schedule, though. It is also undeniable that Brady has played most years with a better 'D'.

Your point is well taken, however.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2109 on: January 20, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
Goose,

I agree - mostly. The majority of years since Brady was in the league, GB has also played a 1st place schedule, though. It is also undeniable that Brady has played most years with a better 'D'.

Your point is well taken, however.

And a coach who is a million times the coach Rodgers has ever played for.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2110 on: January 20, 2020, 07:04:23 PM »
NFL teams spend millions upon millions of dollars on scouting. They analyze and re-analyze and re-re-analyze. So it's always amazing to me when a story like Raheem Mostert happens.

Here's a 27-year-old RB who had been cut by 6 teams and who never has started an NFL game. Yet now, after running for 220 yards in the NFC title game, his teammates and coaches are talking about how great he is, how quickly he hits holes, how much his speed is underestimated, etc.

Now, some of the holes he ran through Sunday was so big that a few Scoopers might have gotten TDs, too. Or at least the elite athletes among us such as Ners.

But still ...

How could so many well-compensated NFL talent evaluators have been so wrong about Mostert for so long?

And before we give the 49ers a gold star for discovering him, let's remember that he had only 40 carries for them from 2016-18 before finally getting some run as Tevin Coleman's backup this season. Heck, Mostert had 11 games this season with 10 or fewer carries, including games of 0, 1 and 4 carries. The Niners underestimated him for years, too.

One of the many things I take from this is how good most guys on a major-league pro sports roster are.

I don't know Mostert and I never will, but I still am genuinely happy for his success. It must have taken great belief in himself, perseverance and hard work for him to get to this point.

Running backs are an interesting discussion. I think there's a few "elite" ones out there. Well worth the paycheck. But I think Pats/Belicheck show another way. IF your OLine opens holes, just about any rosterable RB in the NFL has enough size/speed/agility to be productive behind an above-average Oline, as long as the RB understands the scheme. THat's how I think Mostert has been able to succeed this season.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2111 on: January 22, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »
Eli Manning is retiring.
Let the Hall of Fame debate commence.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2112 on: January 22, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »
Eli Manning is retiring.

Can’t spell Elite without the E-L-I.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2113 on: January 22, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »
Eli Manning is retiring.

Top 10 all-time in passing yards and TDs. Top 10 in most 4th quarter comebacks.  2 SB MVPs and rings, including beating the "best" team since the 72 Dolphins.  That will overcome a lack of All-Pro or Pro Bowl nods that resulted from him playing at the same time as 3 Top-10 all time QBs (Brees, Brady, and his big bro).  It wont be unanimous or first ballot, but I'm pretty confident he gets in.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2114 on: January 22, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
Eli Manning is retiring.

Stone cold lock....seeing him next week in Miami...very happy for him.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2116 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:15 PM »
So Antonio Brown DEFINITELY has CTE right?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2117 on: January 22, 2020, 10:15:26 PM »
So Antonio Brown DEFINITELY has CTE right?

We should be better than this. Could he? Sure. But let's not just write all bad behavior off with that narrative. He clearly needs help one way or another.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2118 on: January 23, 2020, 09:47:31 AM »
We should be better than this. Could he? Sure. But let's not just write all bad behavior off with that narrative. He clearly needs help one way or another.

Agreed. He had character/personality concerns when he was coming out of CMU. And he was at CMU cause he got expelled from FIU for legal issues. So he very well has CTE and it’s not making things any better, but it’s surely not the sole issue

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2119 on: January 24, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
Top 10 all-time in passing yards and TDs. Top 10 in most 4th quarter comebacks.  2 SB MVPs and rings, including beating the "best" team since the 72 Dolphins.  That will overcome a lack of All-Pro or Pro Bowl nods that resulted from him playing at the same time as 3 Top-10 all time QBs (Brees, Brady, and his big bro).  It wont be unanimous or first ballot, but I'm pretty confident he gets in.

I'm pretty confident he gets in.  I'm also pretty confident he doesn't deserve to.

In this era of super-efficient quarterbacks, he just isn't one.  Tied with Joe Flacco for 45th all time.  Career record of 117-117.  Outside of the two Super Bowl runs, was 0-4 as a playoff starter.  Yes, they only made the playoffs six times during his tenure.

Eli is an above average quarterback who had two magical runs in the playoffs.  That and playing in New York will get him in.  But I would never consider him one of the top quarterbacks of his generation. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2120 on: January 24, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
I agree with this.  He had two completely flukish runs, and otherwise was pedestrian or below.  But, as you said, that will probably be enough to get him in.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2121 on: January 24, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
It won't "bother" me one iota if he gets in, and I think he will. But I would consider him a fringe candidate if I were a voter. NFL has a very bizarre HoF process.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2123 on: January 29, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »
About 60 games at the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins might slightly affect the numbers. I would bet those teams combined might have been over .500 maybe 1/3 of the time at best.

Wouldn't surprise me if 40 of those wins were against those 3 teams.

https://patriotsdynasty.info/blog/2019/01-02/myth-easy-afc-east-definitive-guide

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2124 on: January 29, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »

Someone tracked all of his crazy behavior to 2 weeks after getting rocked in a game.

feedback