[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Open returns to Portrush  (Read 2160 times)

tower912

• All American
The Open returns to Portrush
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:48:46 AM »
What I love about the Open is the unpredictability.    Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton.    So much of it is contingent upon the weather.   Sometimes, the timing of the weather the first two days can all but eliminate half the field.     But I also love how the R&A sets up the course.    If there is weather, the scores are high.    If it is warm, dry, and calm winds, the scores will be low.      Who wins?    Tell me what the weather is going to be relative to the morning and afternoon waves on Thursday and Friday. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: The Open returns to Portrush
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:46:51 AM »
What I love about the Open is the unpredictability.    Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton.    So much of it is contingent upon the weather.   Sometimes, the timing of the weather the first two days can all but eliminate half the field.     But I also love how the R&A sets up the course.    If there is weather, the scores are high.    If it is warm, dry, and calm winds, the scores will be low.      Who wins?    Tell me what the weather is going to be relative to the morning and afternoon waves on Thursday and Friday.

Excellent point.  Tom Watson nearly pulling off a greater miracle than Jack at Augusta in ‘86? VanDeVelde probably a 1-9 favorite going into the final couple holes? John Daly proving his PGA win wasn’t a fluke? Doug Sanders missing a crucial 1 foot putt? Open golf and unpredictability...truly hand-in-hand.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 08:03:45 AM »
https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/15/british-ope-2019-weather-forecast-rain-royal-portrush/

Rain forecast all 4 days.    Temperatures from the mid 50's to the mid 60's.   

Koepka's caddy grew up playing Portrush.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:10:19 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:12:56 AM »
https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/15/british-ope-2019-weather-forecast-rain-royal-portrush/

Laying off Tiger for sure.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »
Is there a way we could combine our weather with theirs and both have a nice weekend in the 70s?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »

I think the weather will not favor Tiger and his injuries. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

I thought they were playing in Scotland not Wisconsin.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »

9-9-9 think Tiger will win by 23 strokes and they will rename the course after him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
9-9-9 think Tiger will win by 23 strokes and they will rename the course after him.

"I lean towards Tiger here.  _____ Course plays perfectly to his strengths.  He's very dialed in and hitting his _____ extremely well.  Look for him to (insert literally any first round outcome here) and push into Saturday where the field will fall apart.  They won't know what to do when Tiger is behind them at the (insert major here)."

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
Saw today that Tiger has only played 10 tournament rounds since winning The Masters. That was three months ago.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »
Not a fan of his, but I like Jon Rahm at The Open.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »

Is the Open any flukier than the PGA or US Open.  You mention Curtis and Hamilton and Beem and Micheel won the PGA in ‘02 and ‘03.  Y.E. Yang in ‘09.

I’d say Michael Campbell and Lucas Glover were pretty fluky wins, too.

You’re absolutely correct on the luck of the draw.  Going out in the wind and rain versus missing it can make all the difference.  Rory shot 63 in round 1 in 2010 and then played in “Open conditions” the next day and shot 80
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
I think the weather will not favor Tiger and his injuries.

Bump

feedback