[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wimbledon  (Read 5113 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Wimbledon
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
Roger won the popular vote. Novak won the electoral college

Yup....individual battles don’t mean as much if you can’t capture the most important part setup by the rules.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »
Cutting back on your schedule when you are 37 years old with a new baby doesn’t strike me as being arrogant.

Cutting back means not playing every week. Not 3 non-major tournaments in the first half of 2019. And still expecting to be the top dog and viewed as such, both personally and by the media. Again, she’s earned the right to do as she wishes and to be a mom. But there is no reason to expect she walks up and washes the competition in the Grand Slams while not being a regular player on tour.

Men’s final was absolutely unreal. Federer is not human, but Novak just picked his moments. He honestly looked like he knew he wasn’t 100% so he was playing/preparing for 5 sets. His break back from 2 match points down was stunning. Kind of crappy how the entire stadium was pro-Federer but I love the guy and he’s earned the adoration. Novak is an extremely loved and likeable guy on tour, so he likely would have had the same treatment against anyone else

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
Greatest day in non-American sports history?

All-time great tennis final.
Greatest cricket final of all time, hands down.
First time in history that a South African has won a stage at the Tour de France.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 02:52:00 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the final.

Almost every time any of the big 3 play each other with tons on the line, it is great sports theater. Add in the commentary of John McEnroe, whom I would argue is one of the best analysts (if not the best analyst) in any sport, and you have a truly enjoyable experience.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the final.

Almost every time any of the big 3 play each other with tons on the line, it is great sports theater. Add in the commentary of John McEnroe, whom I would argue is one of the best analysts (if not the best analyst) in any sport, and you have a truly enjoyable experience.

You win the “dedicated Scooper of the month” award. Doing your duty at 2:52 AM.

I’m jealous.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »
I would rather they kept on playing, no tiebreaker after 12 sets.  Dissatisfying finish.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
I would rather they kept on playing, no tiebreaker after 12 sets.  Dissatisfying finish.

Men aren't men anymore

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »

It becomes unappealing tennis.  I watched a large portion of the Isner/Mahut marathon.  There was no intrigue and suspense.  It was too exhausted guys hoping the other makes a mistake on their service game.  To get to 12-12, you've already had an extremely competitive, compelling match.  But whatever.

Its incredible how good McEnroe has become.  He's uncensored and frank, not at all afraid to show and express his emotion, and he provides fantastic insight without needing to hear himself talk.  Pleasantly unexpected given his history.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
I love John McEnroe and Darren Cahill calling tennis. I can do without Patrick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
You win the “dedicated Scooper of the month” award. Doing your duty at 2:52 AM.

I’m jealous.

I am vacationing in Oregon. It wasn't even midnight when I wrote that. But I accept your nomination!

It becomes unappealing tennis.  I watched a large portion of the Isner/Mahut marathon.  There was no intrigue and suspense.  It was too exhausted guys hoping the other makes a mistake on their service game.  To get to 12-12, you've already had an extremely competitive, compelling match.  But whatever.

Its incredible how good McEnroe has become.  He's uncensored and frank, not at all afraid to show and express his emotion, and he provides fantastic insight without needing to hear himself talk.  Pleasantly unexpected given his history.

Totally agree with both points. I wouldn't even mind the tiebreak starting at 9-9 or 10-10.

McEnroe is the best.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
I am vacationing in Oregon. It wasn't even midnight when I wrote that. But I accept your nomination.

McEnroe is the best.

Ahh -I’m in Montana for the next week. Where at in Oregon?

I agree that MAC is the best.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »

We are in Bend with family and friends, having a grand ol' time.

In a few days, my wife and I will be driving down to N Cali to check out the redwoods and then driving up the Oregon coast.

Fun!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
Men aren't men anymore

Undeniably true

But on the subject of tennis I would have liked them to keep going.  My personal opinion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »

Disagree on the Mahut match.  It was spellbinding in my view. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 06:23:50 PM »

Careful, Montana folk don’t care for your kind too much....careful what you wear.  Tip of the day from your Uncle Chico.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
We are in Bend with family and friends, having a grand ol' time.

In a few days, my wife and I will be driving down to N Cali to check out the redwoods and then driving up the Oregon coast.

Fun!

You could offer Chico a ride out of Cali while you’re at it. Not sure if anyone else will have him, though.

We’re headed to Jackson, Wy after 6 days here. Then slowly back home.