[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wimbledon  (Read 5093 times)

MU82

• All American
Wimbledon
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
Roger ... Rafa ... Novak ...

Has there ever been a sport completely dominated by 3 athletes for as many years and as thoroughly as these 3 have dominated men's tennis?

Arnie, Jack and Player didn't dominate golf as a group for 16 years, and I can't think of anyone else even in the team picture. Martina and Chris never had a third competitor who hung with them as long as Roger, Rafa and Novak have been going at it.

Of the last 64 majors since Roger won his first title (2003 Wimbledon), he, Rafa and Novak have combined to win 53 of them.

That's effen crazy!!!

And it looks like it's gonna be 54 out of 65 in a few days, as all 3 are in the semis.

Rafa vs. Roger on Friday. Can't wait for that one!

I just hope the winner has enough energy left for when he faces Novak in Sunday's final.

It has been fun to watch history in the making this last decade and a half.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:11:05 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Wimbledon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
Roger ... Rafa ... Novak ...

Has there ever been a sport completely dominated by 3 athletes for as many years and as thoroughly as these 3 have dominated men's tennis?

Arnie, Jack and Player didn't dominate golf as a group for 16 years, and I can't think of anyone else even in the team picture. Martina and Chris never had a third competitor who hung with them as long as Roger, Rafa and Novak have been going at it.

Of the last 64 majors since Roger won his first title (2003 Wimbledon), he, Rafa and Novak have combined to win 53 of them.

That's effen crazy!!!

And it looks like it's gonna be 54 out of 65 in a few days, as all 3 are in the semis.

Rafa vs. Roger on Friday. Can't wait for that one!

I just hope the winner has enough energy left for when he faces Novak in Sunday's final.

It has been fun to watch history in the making this last decade and a half.

I don't know...Tennis in the 70s had a few great dominant players...

But to be fair. that's the last time I followed tennis.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
I don't know...Tennis in the 70s had a few great dominant players...

But to be fair. that's the last time I followed tennis.

For a little perspective ...

Rafa sometimes gets grief because of his 18 majors, 12 are his French Open titles.

But his other 6 are twice as many as Arthur Ashe had, total. They are only one fewer than McEnroe had, total. One fewer than Newcombe had, total. As many as Becker had, total. As many as Edberg had, total. Two more than Vilas had, total. Two fewer than Connors had, total.

In other words, take away Rafa's 12 French Open titles and he's still in the team picture of greatest tennis players ever. But they can't be taken away, only celebrated.

Roger and Novak have similar crazy numbers ... and they all got theirs despite having to battle each other.

When they are all finished, they will be the top 3 ever ... and the gap to #4 will be pretty large. And they all played in the same era.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:21:39 AM »
It has been special as arguably the GOAT is one of these three and they are all playing each other at the top of their game at the same time.

Imagine Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, and Lebron all playing each other at their peaks at the same time.

Interestingly (since you got me on tennis), the woman's game is showing the opposite, parity like no other time in tennis history.  The last 10 majors have been won by 9 different players (Osaka twice) and every couple of months we get a new first-time number 1.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:23:28 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
Both Serena and Halep absolutely cruising today in the semi's.  Should be a good final Saturday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:53:30 PM »
Serena is the greatest ever, and has held that mantle for awhile. Nothing she does surprises me.

Unless she plays poorly, specifically serves very poorly, she will smoke Halep.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »
Yup, imagine how many titles Novak, Rafa, and Federer would have if they were in a normal era with only one, “once in a generation” player.

Further more, think about how many majors Murray would have if he didn’t have to go against the Big 3 for his entire prime.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »
Yup, imagine how many titles Novak, Rafa, and Federer would have if they were in a normal era with only one, “once in a generation” player.

Or was the top-level talent pool simply deeper in previous eras? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »

No

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
Not taking anything at all away from Roger, because he deserved to win, but Rafa did not play very well most of the match. He was tentative and simply not very sharp.

Although the last half-hour featured some incredible points, with tremendous shot-making by both, the vast majority of the match was actually quite dull given that it was Roger-vs-Rafa.

It's hard to imagine Djokovic not beating Roger, and doing so pretty handily.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »

Absolutely not.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
Love it when grown ass men refer to athletes by their first names.   So cute, so Badger like.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 08:52:35 AM »
It's nice to be loved.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
Serena is the greatest ever, and has held that mantle for awhile. Nothing she does surprises me.

Unless she plays poorly, specifically serves very poorly, she will smoke Halep.

Well, I was right and wrong here ...

Serena did not beat Halep, but she couldn't have played much more poorly than she did. It was the worst I have ever seen a healthy Serena play. Routine backhands into the net; serve sucked; forehands sailing long by a mile; seemingly little energy.

Congrats to Halep, though -- she played great.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
Well, I was right and wrong here ...

Serena did not beat Halep, but she couldn't have played much more poorly than she did. It was the worst I have ever seen a healthy Serena play. Routine backhands into the net; serve sucked; forehands sailing long by a mile; seemingly little energy.

Congrats to Halep, though -- she played great.

I think Serena has lost a step and is on the marked downside of her career, not to mention it’s not easy to return after a child. None of this is a fault against her, however, I think she’s been a bit arrogant in her approach. She’s played very few tourneys, no warm ups for Wimbledon, and this is the result. She’s still good enough to mow down a lot of competition, but the gap is narrowed in the top 10 and she can’t just overpower people as much anymore, especially someone like Halep.

Nothing is impossible, especially for the best to ever do it like Serena, but if she doesn’t change her approach and play a more regular and rigorous schedule to keep her sharp, she likely won’t win another Grand Slam IMO.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
I think Serena has lost a step and is on the marked downside of her career, not to mention it’s not easy to return after a child. None of this is a fault against her, however, I think she’s been a bit arrogant in her approach. She’s played very few tourneys, no warm ups for Wimbledon, and this is the result. She’s still good enough to mow down a lot of competition, but the gap is narrowed in the top 10 and she can’t just overpower people as much anymore, especially someone like Halep.

Nothing is impossible, especially for the best to ever do it like Serena, but if she doesn’t change her approach and play a more regular and rigorous schedule to keep her sharp, she likely won’t win another Grand Slam IMO.

That’s basically the Tiger Woods method at the moment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »

Agree with every word.

It's natural that tennis is no longer the most important thing in the world to her. It happens to athletes, female and male, quite often.

It's always most surprising when it happens to one who has been at the top of her/his sport for years.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
Love it when grown ass men refer to athletes by their first names.   So cute, so Badger like.

I propose that all athletes renounce their first names when turning pro. It will ease the feelings of dozens of little snowflakes.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »

Cutting back on your schedule when you are 37 years old with a new baby doesn’t strike me as being arrogant.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
Cutting back on your schedule when you are 37 years old with a new baby doesn’t strike me as being arrogant.

Strikes me as someone who has her priorities in order.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 11:53:11 AM »
This has been a fantastic match.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 01:11:23 PM »
Roger wins 36 games
Novak wins 31 games

Novak wins championship.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 02:11:49 PM »
What a match. Mr. Federer ( ;) Ziggy) is the GOAT (as of today), but he's starting to look like a an all-time great and crafty pitcher who has lost his strikeout pitch. His shotmaking is incredible and allowed him to counter Mr. Djokovic's athleticism and power from game to game and set to set - but when it was #winningtime, he just didn't have the knockout punch. He lost all three tiebreaks and let his opportunity to serve out the match in the 5th set get away.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
Roger wins 36 games
Novak wins 31 games

Novak wins championship.

Roger won the popular vote. Novak won the electoral college

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »

Make Wimbledon Great Again!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »

Yup....individual battles don’t mean as much if you can’t capture the most important part setup by the rules.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »

Cutting back means not playing every week. Not 3 non-major tournaments in the first half of 2019. And still expecting to be the top dog and viewed as such, both personally and by the media. Again, she’s earned the right to do as she wishes and to be a mom. But there is no reason to expect she walks up and washes the competition in the Grand Slams while not being a regular player on tour.

Men’s final was absolutely unreal. Federer is not human, but Novak just picked his moments. He honestly looked like he knew he wasn’t 100% so he was playing/preparing for 5 sets. His break back from 2 match points down was stunning. Kind of crappy how the entire stadium was pro-Federer but I love the guy and he’s earned the adoration. Novak is an extremely loved and likeable guy on tour, so he likely would have had the same treatment against anyone else

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
Greatest day in non-American sports history?

All-time great tennis final.
Greatest cricket final of all time, hands down.
First time in history that a South African has won a stage at the Tour de France.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 02:52:00 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the final.

Almost every time any of the big 3 play each other with tons on the line, it is great sports theater. Add in the commentary of John McEnroe, whom I would argue is one of the best analysts (if not the best analyst) in any sport, and you have a truly enjoyable experience.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed the final.

Almost every time any of the big 3 play each other with tons on the line, it is great sports theater. Add in the commentary of John McEnroe, whom I would argue is one of the best analysts (if not the best analyst) in any sport, and you have a truly enjoyable experience.

You win the “dedicated Scooper of the month” award. Doing your duty at 2:52 AM.

I’m jealous.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »
I would rather they kept on playing, no tiebreaker after 12 sets.  Dissatisfying finish.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
I would rather they kept on playing, no tiebreaker after 12 sets.  Dissatisfying finish.

Men aren't men anymore

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »

It becomes unappealing tennis.  I watched a large portion of the Isner/Mahut marathon.  There was no intrigue and suspense.  It was too exhausted guys hoping the other makes a mistake on their service game.  To get to 12-12, you've already had an extremely competitive, compelling match.  But whatever.

Its incredible how good McEnroe has become.  He's uncensored and frank, not at all afraid to show and express his emotion, and he provides fantastic insight without needing to hear himself talk.  Pleasantly unexpected given his history.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
I love John McEnroe and Darren Cahill calling tennis. I can do without Patrick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
You win the “dedicated Scooper of the month” award. Doing your duty at 2:52 AM.

I’m jealous.

I am vacationing in Oregon. It wasn't even midnight when I wrote that. But I accept your nomination!

It becomes unappealing tennis.  I watched a large portion of the Isner/Mahut marathon.  There was no intrigue and suspense.  It was too exhausted guys hoping the other makes a mistake on their service game.  To get to 12-12, you've already had an extremely competitive, compelling match.  But whatever.

Its incredible how good McEnroe has become.  He's uncensored and frank, not at all afraid to show and express his emotion, and he provides fantastic insight without needing to hear himself talk.  Pleasantly unexpected given his history.

Totally agree with both points. I wouldn't even mind the tiebreak starting at 9-9 or 10-10.

McEnroe is the best.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
I am vacationing in Oregon. It wasn't even midnight when I wrote that. But I accept your nomination.

McEnroe is the best.

Ahh -I’m in Montana for the next week. Where at in Oregon?

I agree that MAC is the best.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »

We are in Bend with family and friends, having a grand ol' time.

In a few days, my wife and I will be driving down to N Cali to check out the redwoods and then driving up the Oregon coast.

Fun!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
Men aren't men anymore

Undeniably true

But on the subject of tennis I would have liked them to keep going.  My personal opinion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »

Disagree on the Mahut match.  It was spellbinding in my view. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 06:23:50 PM »

Careful, Montana folk don’t care for your kind too much....careful what you wear.  Tip of the day from your Uncle Chico.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
We are in Bend with family and friends, having a grand ol' time.

In a few days, my wife and I will be driving down to N Cali to check out the redwoods and then driving up the Oregon coast.

Fun!

You could offer Chico a ride out of Cali while you’re at it. Not sure if anyone else will have him, though.

We’re headed to Jackson, Wy after 6 days here. Then slowly back home.