[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brett Nelson named head coach at Holy Cross  (Read 27234 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: Brett Nelson named head coach at Holy Cross
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »
Rob Jeter is currently an assistant at Minnesota. Would be a solid candidate if he wanted to move back to Milwaukee.

This is one of the better suggestions I've seen so far.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 01:25:02 PM »
Is this the first head coach hire from Wojo's tree?

If so, good for Brett and good for Wojo. Being able to get your assistants HC jobs helps bring in coaching talent, its like sending players to the NBA.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »
Rob Jeter is currently an assistant at Minnesota. Would be a solid candidate if he wanted to move back to Milwaukee.

Hard pass
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »
Baldwin isn’t leaving UWM to be a Marquette assistant. Completely different circumstances than Buzz.

Jon Harris makes sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 01:34:34 PM »
Hard pass

Exactly, if they can't do any better than Jeter...C'mon people, this is a position that HAS to get a big time recruiter.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »
He ain't leaving Duke except for head coaching job.

People say that about Coaches all the time. People said Wojo would never leave Duke for anything other than the Duke HC job either.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
Everyone else does this...now would be a perfect time to hire a brother or a father, uncle, family member of a top recruit.  :)

Or...the perfect time to bring in a veteran X's and O's guy

Looking forward to the "Fire Wojo and replace him with [unnamed Nelson replacement]" threads.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
Jayce Johnson...Kobe McEwen...Greg Elliot...Jamal Cain

3 juniors n a 5th year senior?

Again .... lately
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58727.0

5/7 JJ commits to MU.  That's pretty recent if you ask me. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
People say that about Coaches all the time. People said Wojo would never leave Duke for anything other than the Duke HC job either.

This is a great opportunity to hire Chris Beard as an assistant
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

M S

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »

lol!!  ;D

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58727.0

5/7 JJ commits to MU.  That's pretty recent if you ask me.
And, McEwen was last year and is now eligible to play after sitting out.  That’s recent as well.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »

What people said Wojo would never leave an assistant job at Duke for a good head coaching job at a high major school? Nobody credible said that.......what was said (by Wojo )was that he was only going to pursue the right head coaching job if he was going to leave Duke......

Forget Baldwin.....it ain't happening.....

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
Hologram Al.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
Hologram Al.
+Infinity would really help with recruiting
Goal is National Championship

muguru

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »
What people said Wojo would never leave an assistant job at Duke for a good head coaching job at a high major school? Nobody credible said that.......what was said (by Wojo )was that he was only going to pursue the right head coaching job if he was going to leave Duke......

Forget Baldwin.....it ain't happening.....

Why because Head Coaches have never left their positions to take Asst Coaching positions at a high major before??(Buzz comes right to mind). Also, as someone mentioned, he might not be at UWM much longer either if he doesn't get it turned around quickly.

Look, I don't care if it's Baldwin or who it is, but other schools do it, so it's time for MU to also have that advantage...hire a top recruit's dad, uncle, brother, HS Coach whoever. Whatever it takes to get said recruit(s).

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
It's not impossible for a standing low-major head coach to accept an assistant coach job at a major program.  However, moves like that come with substantial risk if that coach wishes to once again become a head coach again.  I remember Buzz referencing that coaches that quit D1 head coaching jobs for assistant positions can essentially be blacklisted and not be considered for head coaching roles any more (he said he thought he wouldn't be a head coach again after New Orleans; he was just in right place/right time when Crean left for IU). 

It's understandable too.  Why would any AD take a risk on a coaching candidate that quit the role for an assistant position at a prior school?  That coach better have one heck of a connection if he were to be offered again.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »

I was thinking Tony Bennett, Kelvin Sampson or who was the other guy that Scoopers thought we could get a couple months back? Lon Kruger maybe?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
Exactly, if they can't do any better than Jeter...C'mon people, this is a position that HAS to get a big time recruiter.
We wouldn’t be hiring Jeter as a head coach .  The guy has a lot of positives.  He was successful as a Head Coach at a crap program. He was a top assistant at a very successful rival and he is an assistant at the Big ten level now. The guy has many years of contacts and relationships that he can bring to the table .  And on top of all of this he had a short stint with MU as an assistant so he knows what we are all about. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
We wouldn’t be hiring Jeter as a head coach .  The guy has a lot of positives.  He was successful as a Head Coach at a crap program. He was a top assistant at a very successful rival and he is an assistant at the Big ten level now. The guy has many years of contacts and relationships that he can bring to the table .  And on top of all of this he had a short stint with MU as an assistant so he knows what we are all about.

I agree with this analysis.  Wojo could do far worse than Rob Jeter.  Jeter’s biggest mistake was staying loyal to UWM after making the tourney following Bruce Pearl.  I don’t hold his record at UWM against him.  Hard place to win consistently. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  Wojo could do far worse than Rob Jeter.  Jeter’s biggest mistake was staying loyal to UWM after making the tourney following Bruce Pearl.  I don’t hold his record at UWM against him.  Hard place to win consistently.

When has Rob Jeter ever landed a major, big time recruit?? That's what I want to fill Nelson's position...either a veteran X's and O's guy or an absolute top notch recruiter, like one regarded as one of the best in the business, or the potential to be.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2019, 06:11:20 PM »
Why because Head Coaches have never left their positions to take Asst Coaching positions at a high major before??(Buzz comes right to mind). Also, as someone mentioned, he might not be at UWM much longer either if he doesn't get it turned around quickly.

Look, I don't care if it's Baldwin or who it is, but other schools do it, so it's time for MU to also have that advantage...hire a top recruit's dad, uncle, brother, HS Coach whoever. Whatever it takes to get said recruit(s).

Buzz left because New Orleans got hit by a friggin Hurticane.......

Pass......hire  the right coach.........one who can recruit players other then his own kid.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »
When has Rob Jeter ever landed a major, big time recruit?? That's what I want to fill Nelson's position...either a veteran X's and O's guy or an absolute top notch recruiter, like one regarded as one of the best in the business, or the potential to be.

Name names

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Jeter did a very good job where he was at the Badgers top recruiter , responsible for recruiting top quality guys like Alando Tucker etc. His recruiting is why he was hired for the Milwaukee job. He recruited well enough at Milwaukee , which is a difficult place to recruit, to record a cumulative winning record while he was there. He then was fired for spurious reasons after a decent season. He then went to UNLV and recruited Brandon McKoy who was a McDonalds All American as well as other solid talent. Got rehired into the Big Ten at Minnesota . His track record is much better than anyone we have hired to date in the Wojo Era.

I doubt he would want to come to MU anyway , as he has a nice job at Minnesota. Only reason would be for significantly more money.

I am sure there are good quality young guys lining up for the MU job. I am not worried about who we will get.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »
Everyone else does this...now would be a perfect time to hire a brother or a father, uncle, family member of a top recruit.  :)

Or...the perfect time to bring in a veteran X's and O's guy

Maybe a touch of exaggeration as I can think of 5 to 10 instances in the last 25 years.  There are probably more, but with so many Division 1 schools is it not the exception than the rule?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato