[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brett Nelson named head coach at Holy Cross  (Read 27218 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Brett Nelson named head coach at Holy Cross
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »
Baldwin earns $350K and has a $700K buyout.
So, I guess the question is, is it worth it for MU to pay $1.1 million-ish this year and about $400K a year going forward for a one-and-done? That's way above adidas' rate.

Yes.

He's already a D1 head coach, so it's not like he's some completely useless mind in terms of basketball.  He just happens to have a future NBA player as a son.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »
Timing is not great and it hurts MU a little.    However, cannot pass on this kind of opportunity.    Congratulations and good luck, Brett. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
Yes.

He's already a D1 head coach, so it's not like he's some completely useless mind in terms of basketball.  He just happens to have a future NBA player as a son.

This should be the first call. Baldwin is a legit coach, so it's not like wasting a spot on someone you'll release after their kid leaves. And landing the potential #1 recruit in 2021 & #1 NBA pick in 2022 would be worth far more than the $1.2M it would probably cost to get him here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
Yes.

Unless Baldwin feels he is about to be fired, why would an active D1 coach voluntarily leave his position to become an assistant under Wojo?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »
Unless Baldwin feels he is about to be fired, why would an active D1 coach voluntarily leave his position to become an assistant under Wojo?

It does happen. Buzz left being a head coach to be an assistant.  The head coach of north Dakota left to be an assistant at Illinois state this summer iirc.

That being said,  I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that either party is interested here
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Let's say he's making $350,000 per year. Marquette offers him $500,000 per year to be an assistant. That would certainly be high, but I believe around what they were paying Isaac Chew when they added him. So you are offering him more than a 40% pay raise for less responsibility and working at a more prestigious basketball program than he's ever worked at before (sorry, Northwestern).

He's a legit assistant, so as long as Marquette doesn't tank under Wojo, he would be able to seek out a new HC job in 3 years while commanding a higher salary when he does. In addition, it's job security. He likely can't afford too many more 9-22 seasons at UW-Milwaukee and after losing 2 senior starters this year and having 4 set to graduate next year, a soft landing might be appealing. And if everything worked out really well, he'd be in prime position to interview for Marquette if Wojo left in the next few years.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
Nah man, dat ain't happen'ng. Da dude's a D-1 head coach. He's knot sittin' next ta Woj ta bee his lackey, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
Nah man, dat ain't happen'ng. Da dude's a D-1 head coach. He's knot sittin' next ta Woj ta bee his lackey, hey?

Just like Buzz, a D1 head coach, would never sit next to Crean to be his lackey?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 11:05:17 AM »
I'd see if John Scheyer is gettable. He'd be closer to home as well.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
Ummm...Rob Judson

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »
It does happen. Buzz left being a head coach to be an assistant.  The head coach of north Dakota left to be an assistant at Illinois state this summer iirc.

That being said,  I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that either party is interested here

The Northern Arizona coach, Jack Murphy, resigned this summer to take a job as Associate Head Coach at Arizona. MU connection there is that he is now coaching alongside Justin Gainey, and replaced Mark Phelps.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »
Ummm...Rob Judson

LOL No...no offense Doc, but I'd like to think MU could do better than Judson. I know he's already on staff, but still. Don't think he's much of a recruiter.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
LOL No...no offense Doc, but I'd like to think MU could do better than Judson. I know he's already on staff, but still. Don't think he's much of a recruiter.

Lon Kruger and Bill Self would disagree. He was their top recruiter at Illinois, especially for in-state players, back when the Illini kept most of the top players in state.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 11:34:15 AM »
Lon Kruger and Bill Self would disagree. He was their top recruiter at Illinois, especially for in-state players, back when the Illini kept most of the top players in state.

That was a long time ago..I personally want to see either...A. A veteran X's and O's guy(not Judson), it's too bad Phil Martelli is no longer available.

B. a grand slam type recruiter. Not that Stan/Dwayne aren't, but even more "fire power" COULD mean a whole new world for MU recruiting, IF they were to hire the right guy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »

Are we recruit players from Illinois from 20 years ago? If not, pass
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
That was a long time ago..I personally want to see either...A. A veteran X's and O's guy(not Judson), it's too bad Phil Martelli is no longer available.

B. a grand slam type recruiter. Not that Stan/Dwayne aren't, but even more "fire power" COULD mean a whole new world for MU recruiting, IF they were to hire the right guy.

Look, I'm not arguing for or against Judson, but you saying he's not much of a recruiter" is simply wrong.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2019, 12:10:01 PM »

Please no, my head may explode if that happened.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
Just like Buzz, a D1 head coach, would never sit next to Crean to be his lackey?

I think New Orleans was a mess of a program at that time to be fair. A little different than Milwaukee.

MrCNote

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »

He ain't leaving Duke except for head coaching job.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »
Because Wojo has the team trending upward. We heard that here
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »
Because Wojo has the team trending upward. We heard that here

That’s a good point, Willie.  That’s why I think it’ll be an attractive opening. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
It doesn't matter if it's a one year hire - go get the best there is.  Why is one year OK?  The bucks are bring Wesley Matthews to town for what will likely be his last year in the NBA.  Following that, MU needs to grab him as top assistant where he'll be ready to take over for Wojo after a couple years of adjustment. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »
and by the way, congrats to Brett and family - great move to a great place. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »
Rob Jeter is currently an assistant at Minnesota. Would be a solid candidate if he wanted to move back to Milwaukee.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback