[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gene Pingatore dead at 83. Hoop Dreams (St. Joe's Coach)  (Read 1513 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Gene Pingatore dead at 83. Hoop Dreams (St. Joe's Coach)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
Heartbreaking.

Saw him coaching just last week at the Riverside-Brookfield summer league.

Looked in good health at that.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 04:29:47 AM »
Heartbreaking.

Saw him coaching just last week at the Riverside-Brookfield summer league.

Looked in good health at that.

I returned to my alma mater Carmel HS during my Junior year at MU to watch a game between my Corsairs and St. Joe’s. Coach Pingatore’s team featured a well-built SR phenom recovering from knee injuries and surgery (forcing him to miss his Jr. year) by the name of William Gates. I also came to get a glimpse of a real project Marquette was recruiting named Amal McCaskill. The St. Joe’s JR was very raw but looked to have a real motor. While his talent was nothing next to St. Joe’s 5star center, Ohio State-bound Gerald Eaker, you could see from the bleachers how coachable Amal was. More importantly, you could see how Coach Ping really got the attention of his team, especially Amal. I saw Coach Pingatore take Amal aside a couple times to hammer a point home.

Those St. Joe teams played with a blue-collar combination of grit, swagger, and humility. No trash talking, no wasted effort. You could see the imprint of their head coach all over that team. Imagine if Amal McCaskill had been coached by a guy who neglected his back-up center and didn’t take time for those teachable moments. Coach Pingatore was portrayed somewhat unfavorably by HoopDreams.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:47:20 AM »
I returned to my alma mater Carmel HS during my Junior year at MU to watch a game between my Corsairs and St. Joe’s. Coach Pingatore’s team featured a well-built SR phenom recovering from knee injuries and surgery (forcing him to miss his Jr. year) by the name of William Gates. I also came to get a glimpse of a real project Marquette was recruiting named Amal McCaskill. The St. Joe’s JR was very raw but looked to have a real motor. While his talent was nothing next to St. Joe’s 5star center, Ohio State-bound Gerald Eaker, you could see from the bleachers how coachable Amal was. More importantly, you could see how Coach Ping really got the attention of his team, especially Amal. I saw Coach Pingatore take Amal aside a couple times to hammer a point home.

Those St. Joe teams played with a blue-collar combination of grit, swagger, and humility. No trash talking, no wasted effort. You could see the imprint of their head coach all over that team. Imagine if Amal McCaskill had been coached by a guy who neglected his back-up center and didn’t take time for those teachable moments. Coach Pingatore was portrayed somewhat unfavorably by HoopDreams.

I always hated how that school treated the Agee family. Sticking them with that tuition bill was heartless.

Pingatore and the school should be ashamed. Users.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
Pingatore came off as a complete douche.  Seemed to act smug and tried to act big time, didnt work real well on film.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
Pingatore had 100% control over how he came across in Hoop Dreams. He was who he was. It was, as Crash says, shameful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback