[Today at 01:00:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: GE ANKLE SURGERY  (Read 13301 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: GE ANKLE SURGERY
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »
Tough break for Greg.

As for expectations, I see him as having the potential to be a more athletic (and higher scoring) version of a guy like Sacar. Not a superstar or savior, but a guy who could be the difference between us having another pretty good year and a really good one. And that’s fine by me.

Now rest and heal, young man!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
Savior? I don't recall anyone on this board describing Greg as anything close to that.

He's a quick, athletic guard with size and length. He flashed potential on the defensive end as a freshman -- but was limited due to the hand injury (and the fact that he was a freshman). Then he missed all of last season.

If he's healthy (special emphasis on the qualifier "if"), he could (qualifier #2) be a quality contributor off the bench. With his quickness and long arms, he'd likely (qualifier #3) earn minutes for his defensive contributions alone. But the hope (qualifier #4) is that he could handle some (qualifier #5) of the ball handling duties, as well -- which might (qualifier #6) mean Markus won't have to carry the team on his back as much and can be (qualifier #7) even more of an offensive force.

Nobody knows what Greg is capable of, because he hasn't been healthy. His outside shooting is pretty much a complete mystery. But he combines great physical tools with a great attitude. I'm very curious to see him on the court again.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »
Only one Scooper who has waxed poetic about how wonderful G.E. is:

9-9-9.

For the rest of us, he is an unknown. We hope he can be a good role player. And maybe he still can be. Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 08:24:54 PM »
His injury last year became one of the excuses for why we folded down the stretch.  His impending return was one of the reasons we would be really, really good this coming season, despite losing other, higher impact players.

I hope GE comes back stronger than ever and is ready for the beginning of the season.  But having watched him as a freshman, I think being a decent role player is probably his ceiling.

It would have been nice to have another ball handler, guard when Markus was hurt down the stretch....yes....that would have been a benefit for this team down the stretch.  Do you disagree?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
Savior? I don't recall anyone on this board describing Greg as anything close to that.

I'd say about 70% of scoop was clamoring for Greg to be the point guard hero last year. About 85% were saying he would be the starting pg this year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »
I'd say about 70% of scoop was clamoring for Greg to be the point guard hero last year. About 85% were saying he would be the starting pg this year.

No way on the second one, not even close to that number.  Both way below 25%.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
Really feel for Greg. Hope the surgery goes well and he is back to his normal self quickly.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 09:12:37 PM »
Feel bad for GE, damn.

Before someone beats me to it, will somebody explain to me why this is Wojo's fault.

Did I miss someone blaming Wojo for this? Inside joke I'm not 'in' on?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
In autumn, 2018,  Wojo said that Greg was playing well enough to start before he reinjured his thumb.  After Chartouny disappointed, based on Wojo's earlier statement, it was widely assumed he was telling the truth and that Greg would have contributed.   Since guard depth was an issue, it was natural to believe Greg would have helped that weakness.

Savior?  Meh.  Contributor in an area lacking depth?   Absolutely.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
Only one Scooper who has waxed poetic about how wonderful G.E. is:

9-9-9.

For the rest of us, he is an unknown. We hope he can be a good role player. And maybe he still can be. Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.
Greg is my favorite player on the team . 

I love his unselfish style of play. Always looking for the open man, is a deep seated personal philosophy of his. The kid works hard on defense, is extremely competitive and thus is the type of player the coaches want on the floor as much as possible.  Had a very solid freshman season despite playing essentially one handed which prohibited much of a handle.

Did very well against Big East opponents which is an important consideration . The highlight of the year was his game on the road against Villanova where he put up 13 points on 5-10 shooting 1-2 from 3 made both free throws , 4 boards. 1 assist 2 steals and block with 1 turnover going up against Jalen Brunson and Phil Booth.

I think Greg is a difference maker for MU  in that he uses his length and athleticism to create in ways that no one else on the team has done on a consistent basis.

Lets hope physical therapy goes well for Greg and he can spend October getting in shape again.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 11:18:22 PM »
I can't think of reading a single post where someone said that Greg would be a savior or a starting PG, but this is at least the 25th time I've read a post claiming that.

I think I have higher expectations for Greg than most. I think he was one of our best defensive players his freshman year and his offense was coming along at the end despite playing one handed. If healthy, I think he pushes for starters' minutes this season. But as a SG, and nowhere near "savior" levels.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 08:19:25 AM »
Greg is my favorite player on the team . 

I love his unselfish style of play. Always looking for the open man, is a deep seated personal philosophy of his. The kid works hard on defense, is extremely competitive and thus is the type of player the coaches want on the floor as much as possible.  Had a very solid freshman season despite playing essentially one handed which prohibited much of a handle.

Did very well against Big East opponents which is an important consideration . The highlight of the year was his game on the road against Villanova where he put up 13 points on 5-10 shooting 1-2 from 3 made both free throws , 4 boards. 1 assist 2 steals and block with 1 turnover going up against Jalen Brunson and Phil Booth.

I think Greg is a difference maker for MU  in that he uses his length and athleticism to create in ways that no one else on the team has done on a consistent basis.

Lets hope physical therapy goes well for Greg and he can spend October getting in shape again.

I sincerely hope you are right about his potential, and obviously I (and all other Scoopers) hope he has a clean bill of health by MU Madness or shortly thereafter.

I can't think of reading a single post where someone said that Greg would be a savior or a starting PG, but this is at least the 25th time I've read a post claiming that.

I think I have higher expectations for Greg than most. I think he was one of our best defensive players his freshman year and his offense was coming along at the end despite playing one handed. If healthy, I think he pushes for starters' minutes this season. But as a SG, and nowhere near "savior" levels.

I simply don't have enough information to know exactly what to expect from Greg. He played hurt as a freshman and missed his next season. I'm hoping he can be as good as you and 9-9-9 believe, and more.

As for your first paragraph, TAMU ... that is 100% correct.

Scoop is the most hyperbole-filled site in the history of the interwebs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »
I sincerely hope you are right about his potential, and obviously I (and all other Scoopers) hope he has a clean bill of health by MU Madness or shortly thereafter.

I simply don't have enough information to know exactly what to expect from Greg. He played hurt as a freshman and missed his next season. I'm hoping he can be as good as you and 9-9-9 believe, and more.

As for your first paragraph, TAMU ... that is 100% correct.

Scoop is the most hyperbole-filled site in the history of the interwebs.

Maybe Greg hurt himself to undermine Wojo and prove Howard is a cancer
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »
Maybe Greg hurt himself to undermine Wojo and prove Howard is a cancer

PRN might know

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 10:22:44 PM »
Ankle surgery rehab protocol. 14-16 weeks. Then Greg has to get back into condition.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/sportsmed/SM-39916_Lateral_AnkleProtocol.pdf
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »
Ankle surgery rehab protocol. 14-16 weeks. Then Greg has to get back into condition.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/sportsmed/SM-39916_Lateral_AnkleProtocol.pdf

Do we know the exact injury yet? All I saw was ankle surgery. Like knee injuries (ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL) there are a number of different injuries that can lead to ankle surgery, the timelines for recovery vary considerably.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »
Well, at least the injury happened in June and not December, right?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
Well, at least the injury happened in June and not December, right?

Or February....

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »
Have some good news to share with the board.

I was at the airport in Milwaukee today and ran into Greg .  He was heading to family in Detroit . Seemed to be in good spirits . He said he dislocated his ankle and that he should be ready for the start of the season .

Greg said he spent the redshirt year primarily focused on the weight room and that he had put on a good 15 pounds of muscle .  He also said that Ike is back with the team practicing hard and that we should be seeing some good “rim protection” from Ike. Greg also reported  that Koby is going to add a lot of physicality to the team .

Seems like he had an overall upbeat view to the season.

UNC Grad MU Fan

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
Thank you.    Good news across the board.     Except of course, the dislocated ankle.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »
Dislocation a heck of alot better than a break, also first we have heard if ike practice, that could be wonderful news. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2019, 12:07:47 AM »

I was at the airport in Milwaukee today and ran into Greg .  He was heading to family in Detroit . Seemed to be in good spirits . He said he dislocated his ankle and that he should be ready for the start of the season .

Greg said he spent the redshirt year primarily focused on the weight room and that he had put on a good 15 pounds of muscle .  He also said that Ike is back with the team practicing hard and that we should be seeing some good “rim protection” from Ike. Greg also reported  that Koby is going to add a lot of physicality to the team .

Thanks for the 4-1-1, UNCE.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2019, 01:08:32 AM »

Ugh, that sounds immensely painful.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2019, 01:57:57 AM »
Dislocation a heck of alot better than a break, also first we have heard if ike practice, that could be wonderful news.

I don't think you can dislocate your ankle without a break somewhere or another. I mean, maybe it's happened before to somebody... Maybe Greg apparently. Still, break or not, doesn't necessarily mean surgery is required.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2019, 05:48:03 AM »
I don't think you can dislocate your ankle without a break somewhere or another. I mean, maybe it's happened before to somebody... Maybe Greg apparently. Still, break or not, doesn't necessarily mean surgery is required.

This. I’m guessing he broke his fibula with the dislocation. You usually don’t have surgery day after an ankle sprain. Also, if just dislocated, could sedate, put it back and he would be good to go in a few days.