[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Biggest Hit of Wojo Era  (Read 7172 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Biggest Hit of Wojo Era
« on: June 10, 2019, 11:28:19 PM »
With all the talk of “busts” and “swings and misses”, just wondering if opinions differ as to Coach’s biggest recruiting home run and biggest actual game victories.

Looks pretty obvious that recruiting-wise it’s Markus. Some would argue Henry due to his “star factor” right out of HS, and how it positioned us for making further top100 recruiting inroads. I would actually rank Sam ahead of Henry because of how consistent his production was. Markus wins this race by daylight imo. Had Henry stayed three years and improved each year, even Markus probably wouldn’t match Hank’s home-run factor.

Game-wise, I am taking the 2nd half annihilation of Buffalo  at the brand new FF. Everyone in attendance at that game could see how strong, talented, and athletic that opponent was...and to see Wojo’s biggest recruiting “hit” take over the game and serve notice to the rest of the country how unique his individual talent is and, more importantly... to also serve notice that Marquette hoops is back.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
Re: Biggest Hit of Wojo Era
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:05:59 AM »
Obviously Markus.

Hiring Stan and Nelson.

Sam, for sure. Important player on 2 NCAA teams in 3 years; helped give us nice bragging rights over F%ckyland.

Katin, Rowsey, Morrow -- transfers who contributed significantly to NCAA tourney teams.

Henry, of course. And Joey had other options; might not have been the slam dunk we thought it was ... but certainly borderline whether Joey turned out to be a "hit" for Marquette.

Bailey if he keeps improving. A 12-year NBA veteran chose Wojo's program for his son; I happen to think that's a pretty big get. But it only becomes a "big hit" if Bailey excels on the court.

Wojo's "hit list" obviously is still a work in progress. Who knows? Koby or even Symir might be near the top of this list a year or two from now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »
I'd say either Sacar or Theo. The top-100 & transfers are pretty obvious guys to recruit. The 3-star guys, less so.

Sacar was lightly recruited & had to redshirt, but has developed into a solid starter, excellent wing defender, reliable 3-point shooter, & proven he can occasionally take over a game.

Theo is a dominating defender who made massive strides as a sophomore & still has two years left. He'll be a guy that, come January 2021, the rest of the Big East will be saying "he hasn't graduated yet?!?" Really good find.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
I'd say either Sacar or Theo. The top-100 & transfers are pretty obvious guys to recruit. The 3-star guys, less so.

Sacar was lightly recruited & had to redshirt, but has developed into a solid starter, excellent wing defender, reliable 3-point shooter, & proven he can occasionally take over a game.

Theo is a dominating defender who made massive strides as a sophomore & still has two years left. He'll be a guy that, come January 2021, the rest of the Big East will be saying "he hasn't graduated yet?!?" Really good find.

That's a great thing don't get me wrong, and as you said, he has two years left yet, but I really wish he had an offensive game..like Devante..dump it down to him and it's points. Hopefully he gets one in the next two years.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »

Sacar and Theo are definitely huge hits.  Sacar especially.  His red shirt year progress showed me a lot. 

Markus is the best recruit
Sacar is  the best coaching result
Buffalo was the best game...the combo of a Friday Night, fans packed into students seats, the new Forum, ranked opponent and Markus going HAM.  It was a special, special night.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
1. Markus
2. Sacar
3. Theo
4. Sam

Henry and Joey were recruiting wins. But that is different. Not necessarily the same thing as a hit on the court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
I'd put Rowsey #1. Yes, he put up big numbers at UNC-Asheville before coming here, but to take a sub-6 foot guy from a low major and get one of the best offensive players in program history is a huge hit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »

Reasonable take.

You went at this from a different angle than I did. I say Markus because, well, he simply has been the biggest hit of the Wojo era. Wojo (and Stan) got him out of Arizona, he improved under Wojo and the rest of the staff to be an All-American, and he will leave as by far the leading scorer in the history of a program that has had a lot of great players.

Sacar and Theo definitely were good "gets" or, as you say, "finds." And they've both been coached up well so far. But the title isn't "Biggest Find of Wojo Era," it's "Biggest Hit."

It's kind of like when Markus scores 37 but Sacar goes for 14 with 6 boards and great D. Who is SOTG? Markus is "too obvious" for some, and Sacar doesn't win many, so lots of folks might choose Sacar. But it's hard to argue that anybody other than Markus was the stud of that game.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »
That's a great thing don't get me wrong, and as you said, he has two years left yet, but I really wish he had an offensive game..like Devante..dump it down to him and it's points. Hopefully he gets one in the next two years.

Davante was pretty unique in that regard, but Theo has shown some of that. Give him any space and he'll dunk it with authority. He can also hit the hook occasionally. He did make over 60% of his field goals, which is better than Davante Gardner ever managed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »

Would Gardner have been able to stop Theo from scoring?    Do you like Theo's chances defending Gardner?     Does MU need another offensive weapon or a defensive anchor?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
Davante was pretty unique in that regard, but Theo has shown some of that. Give him any space and he'll dunk it with authority. He can also hit the hook occasionally. He did make over 60% of his field goals, which is better than Davante Gardner ever managed.
Though, to be fair, Davante had a ton of made FTs at a 79% clip....so he was quite a bit more effective than Theo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 12:21:51 PM »
I'd put Rowsey #1. Yes, he put up big numbers at UNC-Asheville before coming here, but to take a sub-6 foot guy from a low major and get one of the best offensive players in program history is a huge hit.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Kudos to u northern for even starting the thread.  Good job in the face of the negativity n doom n gllom that tends to surrroind the board by muguru and his band of unemployed eyores.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »
Though, to be fair, Davante had a ton of made FTs at a 79% clip....so he was quite a bit more effective than Theo.

This +1000

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
Would Gardner have been able to stop Theo from scoring?    Do you like Theo's chances defending Gardner?     Does MU need another offensive weapon or a defensive anchor?

A. You can never have enough weapons, in any sport. Look at the 2003 MU Final Four team..all 5 of their starters could go off on any given day. They were all weapons on the offensive side. B. Why can't he be both?? Why can't he be Rob Jackson??

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
The punch to the whiteboard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
A. You can never have enough weapons, in any sport. Look at the 2003 MU Final Four team..all 5 of their starters could go off on any given day. They were all weapons on the offensive side. B. Why can't he be both?? Why can't he be Rob Jackson??

I am not sure Todd could.  SN off the bench for sure.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:42 PM »
I am not sure Todd could.  SN off the bench for sure.

Agreed

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 09:19:38 PM »
Gardner was a weapon on offense but a liability on defense.

Theo is a weapon on defense and an ok offensive player if you go by advanced stats.

I loved Gardner's offensive game but Theo impacts the game in a similar way on the defensive end.

If you have a guy who has Gardner's offensive game and Theo's defensive game he is a 5 star who we probably aren't getting.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »
Gardner was a weapon on offense but a liability on defense.

Theo is a weapon on defense and an ok offensive player if you go by advanced stats.

I loved Gardner's offensive game but Theo impacts the game in a similar way on the defensive end.

If you have a guy who has Gardner's offensive game and Theo's defensive game he is a 5 star who we probably aren't getting.

Gardner's defense at the end of the Davidson game was pure matador.  Buzz played the maestro with line up switches from offense to defense and back again. But, Buzz got caught short on the subs and time outs at the end there. But, Vander bailed both their (big) asses out (of course, #54 set a big ass pick for Vander to win it).

Classic! Oh, for those days...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 12:22:27 AM »
Kudos to u northern for even starting the thread.  Good job in the face of the negativity n doom n gllom that tends to surrroind the board by muguru and his band of unemployed eyores.

Thanks...I truly started it just because I got tired of almost every subject being or becoming negative.

I don’t say this in any sort of lecturing way, as Lord knows I have many days where it’s a struggle to improve my outlook...but I am finally learning that life is more fun and fulfilling when one believes in abundance rather than shortage. As a golfer, a horseplayer, and just in life in general...when you approach things from a perspective of abundance, even being blessed or favored, it’s amazing how you bring about positive outcomes. You can then pass on some of your good vibes forward. When you operate from a mindset of shortage, it manifests itself.

I was floored when we lost the Hausers. That said, those lofty top5 rankings were hogwash, and people didn’t seem to factor in how was the chemistry going to be magically rectified in ‘19-‘20? Every year there are two or three major “whiffs” by the hoops publications regarding preseason top15 lists. With festering unhappiness with the same roster returning, knowing what we know now,  I believe we were poised for a season of underachieving. Now, we are going to have to overachieve...that’s not a bad thing.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09:19 AM »

Trolling?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »

Fun comp. I like Theo, but I think senior year Davante would foul out sophomore year Theo by halftime.  Theo is a monster, but his one v one game needs to continue to develop. Davante had that big, sneaky, soft man Sean May game.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:55:51 PM »
Fun comp. I like Theo, but I think senior year Davante would foul out sophomore year Theo by halftime.  Theo is a monster, but his one v one game needs to continue to develop. Davante had that big, sneaky, soft man Sean May game.
I agree with this analysis.  Theo would limit Davante...until he DQ'ed up 10-8.  Davante wouldn't stop Theo one-on-one, but he'd draw a crap ton of fouls on Theo.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »
Davante was better than Dirk, so of course he would have dominated Theo.

feedback