[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excellent Research Report on Jayce Johnson  (Read 8806 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Excellent Research Report on Jayce Johnson
« on: May 26, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
An excellent research report done by Mr. Dodds on Jayce Johnson. Interviewed some the close followers of Utah. This is part 1 of the report:

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Scouting-report-on-Jayce-Johnson-131987720/

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Jayce-Johnson-132330216/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:15:41 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Excellent Research Report on Jayce Johnson
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »
Well written report. My favorite quote is:

"They  sources have me permission to use their comments but only if I quoted them anonymously."

Virtually no offensive game, whatsover. Maybe a 10 minutes/game type player?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:49:24 PM by Jockey »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:20:26 PM »
Virtually no offensive game, whatsover. Maybe a 10 minutes/game type player?

Not sure where you got that in this article.

Still don't know how Jayce is going to factor into this lineup. He's a better rebounder than Theo. A worse defender. And I would put his offensive game slightly above Theo's. If Ed gets moved to the 4, I could see Jayce splittling time with Theo almost evenly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »

Still don't know how Jayce is going to factor into this lineup. He's a better rebounder than Theo. A worse defender. And I would put his offensive game slightly above Theo's. If Ed gets moved to the 4, I could see Jayce splittling time with Theo almost evenly.
The interview is from John Dodd’s. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
The interview is from John Dodd’s.

He said in, not who wrote the article.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 11:48:52 PM »

“On the offensive side of the ball, he is more of a player who is valuable as an offensive rebounder.  He scored most of his points after offensive rebounds on put backs.  There were very few sets in the Utah offense that were designed for him.  He was not a particularly good passer – so you didn’t see him getting the ball a lot in the post – just when he fought and was scrappy for the offensive rebound.”

That makes it sound like his offense is not even as good as Theo's or Ed's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 01:42:18 AM »
So because he was good at scoring off offense rebounds and Utah didn't run sets for him he has virtually no offensive game? Personally, if a guy is an elite offensive rebounder and converts those offensive boards into points, I'm pretty happy with his offensive game.

Also, as usual, the eye test of a single fan is very flawed. Roughly 1/3 of Johnson's points came on offensive rebounds. A percentage for most players but far from the most recalled by the random Utah fan. Jayce did a lot of damage by posting up opponents and on cut plays to the basket.

My reaction was mostly to your 10 minutes per game comment. If Jayce averages 10 minutes a game next season, one of two things has happened. Either Jayce has regressed or the rest of the team is a lot better than expected and is demanding his minutes.
TAMU

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 06:44:51 AM »
As I mentioned when we first signed him.  Do not have massive expectations. Seems like a fine young man, but his offensive skill set is very limited.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 07:13:36 AM »
The line that most caught my eye:

I think Marquette fans are going to like him.  He can be frustrating to watch on the offensive side of the ball because he is not polished as an offensive player.  Jayce is a guy who is easy to like when you watch how hard he plays.

That is what I am expecting from him: Play hard, with a lot of energy, grab rebounds, play D, any offense is a bonus.

If he ends up being more of an offensive contributor for us, I will be pleasantly surprised. If not, I will appreciate the other things he brings to the table, not the least of which is more depth at a position where depth matters.

Glad Jayce is a Warrior.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 07:21:18 AM »

I think Marquette fans are going to like him.  He can be frustrating to watch on the offensive side of the ball because he is not polished as an offensive player.  Jayce is a guy who is easy to like when you watch how hard he plays.

That is what I am expecting from him: Play hard, with a lot of energy, grab rebounds, play D, any offense is a bonus.

If he ends up being more of an offensive contributor for us, I will be pleasantly surprised. If not, I will appreciate the other things he brings to the table, not the least of which is more depth at a position where depth matters.

Glad Jayce is a Warrior.

You’re no wee willie.....82, where you get off having any hint of positivity in the morning?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
Bottom line, MU needed a body, he is it, good or bad.  He is 7 feet, that alone is good enough for me with about a 10 and 10 at Utah the last month of the season.
Thats not bad.  He will give MU some depth inside, where Theo and Morrow love to foul.  He helps!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »

Glad Jayce is a Warrior.

Sounds similar to Matt, but with more defense and boards. As others have said, he likely backs up Theo at the 5 with Morrow getting more minutes at the 4.

I'll take that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
With Koby and Greg, there are going to be more opportunities for the bigs.   Not necessarily from the post ups, but from the dump offs.   In the Murray St game, Markus whistled a pass right past Theo's head because Theo's hands weren't up.      This year, all of the post players had better have their hands up.   And then go up strong.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »
So because he was good at scoring off offense rebounds and Utah didn't run sets for him he has virtually no offensive game? Personally, if a guy is an elite offensive rebounder and converts those offensive boards into points, I'm pretty happy with his offensive game.

I think we might be talking apples and oranges here, tAMU. I was referring to him being in the offensive flow of the game plan. He does not seem to be a guy where you call plays for him. He has no outside shot and he's not a guy you can dump the ball in down low ala Luke Fischer. And if it is sent in to him down low, he does not pass well out of the post - less than 1/3 of 1 assist per game.

He's also not a shot blocker for his size - less than 1 per game.

I hope I'm wrong, but he appears to be a taller, slightly better version of Matt Heldt. I don't know where his minutes will come from as he is not as good as Theo.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
I think we might be talking apples and oranges here, tAMU. I was referring to him being in the offensive flow of the game plan. He does not seem to be a guy where you call plays for him. He has no outside shot and he's not a guy you can dump the ball in down low ala Luke Fischer. And if it is sent in to him down low, he does not pass well out of the post - less than 1/3 of 1 assist per game.

I hope I'm wrong, but he appears to be a taller, slightly better version of Matt Heldt. I don't know where his minutes will come from as he is not as good as Theo.

I think I can live with a taller, slightly better version of Matt Heldt.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
I don’t expect him to take Theos minutes. And really hope he doesn’t.

But when Theo inevitably gets in foul trouble, someone has to pick up those minutes. And I hope Jayce can do that solidly.

If Theo transforms into a guy who doesn’t follow. He would get most of the minutes
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »

I consider offensive boards to be within the flow of the game plan. It's a boon to be able to throw up a shot and know you have a pretty good shot of getting a second chance if you miss it.

Johnson averaged 1.1 blocks a game last season and was in the top 150 in the country in block%. He's not elite like Theo but he's a capable shot blocker.

I wouldn't say he's not as good as Theo yet. Theo's the better defender, Jayce is the better rebounder, and I think Jayce has the slightly better offensive game. I don't know how he fits because of Ed. I'm not sure how they are going to fit all three in there. If Ed moves mostly to the 4, I could see Theo and Jayce splitting time equally at the 5.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 12:04:05 PM »

I don't understand the relevance of per game statistics. Do you not care how many possessions he played?

Anyway, he'll block shots. He's at around 6% for his career and never under 5.5% in a single season. That would have been #2 the past two seasons behind elite Theo John.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »
I consider offensive boards to be

Thought for sure Buckyville or MUScoop was coming next after that
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »

Or “ACT & SAT” if you’re Felicity Huffman.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »
I consider offensive boards to be within the flow of the game plan. It's a boon to be able to throw up a shot and know you have a pretty good shot of getting a second chance if you miss it.

Johnson averaged 1.1 blocks a game last season and was in the top 150 in the country in block%. He's not elite like Theo but he's a capable shot blocker.

I wouldn't say he's not as good as Theo yet. Theo's the better defender, Jayce is the better rebounder, and I think Jayce has the slightly better offensive game. I don't know how he fits because of Ed. I'm not sure how they are going to fit all three in there. If Ed moves mostly to the 4, I could see Theo and Jayce splitting time equally at the 5.

Hoping you are right and I am wrong.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »

Ha! Well played
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »
Sounds similar to Matt, but with more defense and boards and offense. As others have said, he likely backs up Theo at the 5 with Morrow getting more minutes at the 4.

I'll take that.

FIFY

Matt averaged under a point a game.

Guys are talking like our offense ran thru the post last year.

Last year this guy averaged 7.1 points a game compared to Theo's 5.5 and Ed's 5.6.
At the very least, we lose nothing offensively with Jayce on the floor, likely we get a slight offensive uptick, particularly from offensive rebounds.

Defensively, we lose blocks compared with Theo, but gain better positional defense.  Anybody remember the main knock on Theo's defense last year?

Bottom line, it's not a quantum leap, but we're better in the post next year than we were last year.  Probably significantly better when trying to defend a team playing two bigs.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

panda

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »
JJ is twice the player Matt is. Certainly not a slight to Heldt, just the truth.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
Defensively, we lose blocks compared with Theo, but gain better positional defense.  Anybody remember the main knock on Theo's defense last year?

Even though I've been on the pro-JJ train in this thread, I wouldn't say this is true. JJ wasn't a great positional defender at Utah, Theo was much better across the board on defense except for rebounds.
TAMU

feedback