[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams’ Office Wall  (Read 5514 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Buzz Williams’ Office Wall
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
A story was recently released on The Athletic about Buzz. Here is a piece from the story that stuck out to me:

“He’s not too keen on hearing the assessment and criticisms of others. He has two canvases that will hang in his office. One is a collection of tweets from media and fans criticizing his jump from Marquette to Virginia Tech, and the other is a collection of tweets questioning the jump from Tech to Texas A&M.”

The guy can coach, but what a nut job. Wonder if any posts from here will make the canvas.

tower912

• All American
Re: Buzz Williams’ Office Wall
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
Gotta keep that chip on the shoulder.   Need that perception of disrespect.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
A story was recently released on The Athletic about Buzz. Here is a piece from the story that stuck out to me:

“He’s not too keen on hearing the assessment and criticisms of others. He has two canvases that will hang in his office. One is a collection of tweets from media and fans criticizing his jump from Marquette to Virginia Tech, and the other is a collection of tweets questioning the jump from Tech to Texas A&M.”

The guy can coach, but what a nut job. Wonder if any posts from here will make the canvas.

What would Todd Mayo say
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
The coaching version of KD hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 12:48:11 AM »
Can’t be many tweets on the board questioning the move from Tech to A&M. That seemed like a no brainer.

Unless they were just noting how he can’t stay in one place which is true to this point.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 04:11:37 AM »
TAMU Eagle can we get some pics of this?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 05:52:30 AM »
He blocked me on Twitter after I asked him where I could find his game against UVA this past season (top 10 matchup at the time). It was on the ACC network.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
He blocked me on Twitter after I asked him where I could find his game against UVA this past season (top 10 matchup at the time). It was on the ACC network.
Should have used teal  ;D
Goal is National Championship

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »

This is a great microcosm of Buzz.  Not for the motivational bulletin board, but for the inability to distinguish between the reason for the criticism, and just cobbling it all together as a "me vs everyone" thing.  If the tweets were about his inability to coach, or disrespecting him as a man, or his ability to connect to with recruits, or something that motivates how he carries himself that day when he looks at the board? Great, that makes sense. He's gonna get out there and prove them wrong by doing a hell of a job at those things - they fuel the fire.

But a collection of tweets criticizing how he leaves programs? What does that motivate him to do? "I'll show the haters, wait till they see me leave A&M!"  This isn't motivation to be the best you can be, its borderline paranoid. At best, it makes him withdraw. "They don't know my reasons, I just gotta double, then triple down on why I did those things."  Its not motivation to prove the haters wrong, its motivation to remember that everyone is out to get you.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Just a very bizarre thing to have on his office wall. Every time a recruit and their family steps in, they get reminded that the coach recruiting them doesn't stay put. Alas, he is a very bizarre man.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
This is a great microcosm of Buzz.  Not for the motivational bulletin board, but for the inability to distinguish between the reason for the criticism, and just cobbling it all together as a "me vs everyone" thing.  If the tweets were about his inability to coach, or disrespecting him as a man, or his ability to connect to with recruits, or something that motivates how he carries himself that day when he looks at the board? Great, that makes sense. He's gonna get out there and prove them wrong by doing a hell of a job at those things - they fuel the fire.

But a collection of tweets criticizing how he leaves programs? What does that motivate him to do? "I'll show the haters, wait till they see me leave A&M!"  This isn't motivation to be the best you can be, its borderline paranoid. At best, it makes him withdraw. "They don't know my reasons, I just gotta double, then triple down on why I did those things."  Its not motivation to prove the haters wrong, its motivation to remember that everyone is out to get you.

You can't say that unless you know the actual tweets on the canvas, though.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
Side business?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
Gotta keep that chip on the shoulder.   Need that perception of disrespect.

The little guy who is continually disrespected is Buzz's MO. It is how he motivates himself and his teams.

It is obviously purely an invented myth. But whatever works to motivate him and his teams. It clearly does help him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
The little guy who is continually disrespected is Buzz's MO. It is how he motivates himself and his teams.

It is obviously purely an invented myth. But whatever works to motivate him and his teams. It clearly does help him.
The rumor out there is that Buzzs office wall is splattered with Texas bull chips
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback