[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill  (Read 7065 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The MECCA Sports Bar and Grill
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
Is volleyball even a sport?

Guess it depends.  Do you consider kicking a ball around the 80 yards where you can do basically nothing to score for 85 out of 90 minutes on a 120 yard field to be a sport?  Averaging 1.3 goals per match for a team to be a sport?  Averaging maybe 5 scoring opportunities per 90 minute game to be a sport?

If so, then I'd say yes, volleyball is definitely a sport.  If not, I suppose it could not be.  The difference being, of course, that volleyball fans won't get butthurt and compare their country's awful team to the Green Bay Packers (partly because the volleyball fans' country isn't awful at volleyball).  Don't like volleyball?  Cool.

But soccer sucks.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:26:10 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
Guess it depends.  Do you consider kicking a ball around the 80 yards where you can do basically nothing to score for 85 out of 90 minutes on a 120 yard field to be a sport?  Averaging 1.3 goals per match for a team to be a sport?  Averaging maybe 5 scoring opportunities per 90 minute game to be a sport?

If so, then I'd say yes, volleyball is definitely a sport.  If not, I suppose it could not be.  The difference being, of course, that volleyball fans won't get butthurt and compare their country's awful team to the Green Bay Packers (partly because the volleyball fans' country isn't awful at soccer).  Don't like volleyball?  Cool.

But soccer sucks.

I hope someday you have things in your life that require you to re-direct your energy from defending your various hot takes on MUScoop.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Is volleyball even a sport?

Nude volleyball is.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »

If so, then I'd say yes, volleyball is definitely a sport.  If not, I suppose it could not be.  The difference being, of course, that volleyball fans won't get butthurt and compare their country's awful team to the Green Bay Packers (partly because the volleyball fans' country isn't awful at volleyball).  Don't like volleyball?  Cool.

But soccer sucks.

I question, do you have anything else going on in your life besides scoop?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »
I question, do you have anything else going on in your life besides scoop?

Nothing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »

But soccer sucks.

My friend coaches high school boys and girls volleyball.  I went to watch her high school boys compete in a tournament and was struck by how completely unathletic most of the boys looked (not just the ones on her team).  Watching those kids try to run was comical.

Sorry that you don’t like soccer.   Not everyone has the intelligence to truly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:06:00 AM by jutaw22mu »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »
My friend coaches high school boys and girls volleyball.  I went to watch her high school boys compete in a tournament and was struck by how completely unathletic most of the boys looked (not just the ones on her team).  Watching those kids try to run was comical.

Sorry that you don’t like soccer.   Not everyone has the intelligence to truly appreciate it.

Both are great sports. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »

Depends on where your friend is coaching. If it’s a place like Minnesota that is just startling to see schools add boys volleyball they’re probably tripping over their own feet learning the sport. Just like a kid just picking up soccer for the first time in high school. If you’re watching high level kids in California or Illinois you would probably not think volleyball players look unathletic.

Unlike soccer fans I don’t really care what people think about men’s volleyball. It’s a niche sport that I think is awesome. I realize it’s not for everyone and that’s totally cool. I just realize that, unlike soccer, there’s actually a history of success in volleyball for the USA. If you want to see whether volleyball players are athletic or not turn on ESPN2 at 7:00 central tonight. Maybe you’ll still think so, maybe not.

I do find it fun to troll soccer fans because they go nuts about it. If someone dares poke fun at “the beautiful game” the pitchforks and torches come out and we get to hear all about how the US is to soccer as the Packers are to football. Which, of course, is absurdly laughable.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »
If you want to see whether volleyball players are athletic or not turn on ESPN2 at 7:00 central tonight. Maybe you’ll still think so, maybe not.

Thanks for the reminder; DVR set.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »

Thanks for the reminder; DVR set.

Should be a good one. Fourth matchup between what have been the two teams that are head and shoulder better than the field this year. Home team won the first three matches. At Long Beach again tonight. Sadly I think they repeat tonight.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »
Both are great sports. 

Yep. And people who engage in “my sport is great and your sport sucks” debates are the worst.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Depends on where your friend is coaching. If it’s a place like Minnesota that is just startling to see schools add boys volleyball they’re probably tripping over their own feet learning the sport. Just like a kid just picking up soccer for the first time in high school. If you’re watching high level kids in California or Illinois you would probably not think volleyball players look unathletic.

Unlike soccer fans I don’t really care what people think about men’s volleyball. It’s a niche sport that I think is awesome. I realize it’s not for everyone and that’s totally cool. I just realize that, unlike soccer, there’s actually a history of success in volleyball for the USA. If you want to see whether volleyball players are athletic or not turn on ESPN2 at 7:00 central tonight. Maybe you’ll still think so, maybe not.

I do find it fun to troll soccer fans because they go nuts about it. If someone dares poke fun at “the beautiful game” the pitchforks and torches come out and we get to hear all about how the US is to soccer as the Packers are to football. Which, of course, is absurdly laughable.

Haha I’ve never heard that Packers/soccer comparison.  There is a history of success if you include women’s soccer but no one cares about women’s sports, as evidenced by allowing males to compete as women in women’s sports, so I understand why you excluded that from the conversation.   I will agree that, for the most part, the men have been atrocious....how you don’t qualify for the World Cup from a region that includes tiny Caribbean Islands is beyond me.

I’ll check out the game tonight.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

Antagonizing people to give yourself a laugh is says a lot about someone.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2019, 04:34:57 PM »
Antagonizing people to give yourself a laugh is says a lot about someone.

Saying "all 12 soccer fans would have the place rocking" is antagonizing people?  Sheesh.  Soccer people are even softer than they appear when they get stretchered off the field only to be back in the game 30 seconds later.

I will continue to get a good laugh out of soccer fans getting butthurt over a little playful comment.  Including this comment.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »
Saying "all 12 soccer fans would have the place rocking" is antagonizing people?  Sheesh.  Soccer people are even softer than they appear when they get stretchered off the field only to be back in the game 30 seconds later.

I will continue to get a good laugh out of soccer fans getting butthurt over a little playful comment.  Including this comment.

Dude you are 30+ years old, and you get joy about getting other people upset?  I mean, really?  Free country for sure, but internet trolling is just an extension of teasing.  Which 99% of the time is harmless, but my 4 year old daughter knows better not to tease, but you as grown man find weird joy in it. 

Now my guess, your response will be some kind of combination of.  you Mad?!? You really butthurt, huh?!?!  Or some other not very clever retort, but at the end of the day do you I guess. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »
Dude you are 30+ years old, and you get joy about getting other people upset?  I mean, really?  Free country for sure, but internet trolling is just an extension of teasing.  Which 99% of the time is harmless, but my 4 year old daughter knows better not to tease, but you as grown man find weird joy in it. 

Now my guess, your response will be some kind of combination of.  you Mad?!? You really butthurt, huh?!?!  Or some other not very clever retort, but at the end of the day do you I guess.

Lol. 30 year olds can’t make harmless playful comments. You’re a better person than me “dude.” Also, you don’t know my age lol.

Glad you’ve never ribbed a Badger fan or a Brewers fan as an adult.

Sheesh! Glad you knew your response was worthy of a response you predicted. Even you, the great, mature adult knows how silly you sound! Just proving my point.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:54:27 PM by wadesworld »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
Has the build up of the "deer district" had a negative effect on Old world third at all? I imagine that places like loaded slate, brat house and Buck Bradleys aren't getting the same amount of pregame or postgame crowds anymore
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 06:19:37 PM »
Went to MECCA for the Bucks game last night. Food was pretty good. Drinks were slightly overpriced. You're paying for environment, and the environment was incredible. Nice place.

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »
So what you are saying is the US has won 1 game in bracket play since 1934? Kind of like what I just said? Wait, no, EXACTLY what I just said.

What, exactly, has changed in my arguments? The 8 volleyball fans never have to worry about not being able to watch their country play in the biggest competition in the world. Not the same for soccer. Unless, again, I was just sleeping for the one game I might’ve got to see them play in in the World Cup last time there was one. Certainly possible that was the case.

If you're trashing soccer, at least pick a sport other than volleyball to justify your take. LOL

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »
If you're trashing soccer, at least pick a sport other than volleyball to justify your take. LOL

I think if you followed along you’d see it’s been pretty easy to bash soccer. LOL!

But once again. The US is to soccer as the Packers are to football. Hysterical. If that’s the case, the US is to volleyball what UCLA was to college basketball in the 70s.

panda

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »
I think if you followed along you’d see it’s been pretty easy to bash soccer. LOL!

But once again. The US is to soccer as the Packers are to football. Hysterical. If that’s the case, the US is to volleyball what UCLA was to college basketball in the 70s.

Saying soccer isn’t popular in this country because USMNT hasn’t succeeded in the WC is extremely naive. Justifying your take using volleyball as a benchmark of public interest is beyond moronic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:30:00 PM by panda »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »

There is a very simple common thread

the US is to volleyball...(Morgan- Massachusetts)

the US is to basketball...(Naismith- Massachusetts---just 10 miles from Morgan)

the US is to American football...(various US citizens.. Walter Camp,John Heisman, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Pop Warner, Fielding H. Yost, and George Halas...with nod to origins in Rugby),

the US is to baseball....(Abner Doubleday--Cooperstown, with nod to Cricket and Rounders)

ie

the US is the inventing/ founding home of these sports

the US is to soccer....

Well clearly its not the home of the sport.

Do you see it as profound of you to say ...

US sports are popular and the US has much success in the sports they founded....but not as much in sports with their roots in other lands.

...Or are you simply entertained by creating a facially false premise and seeing if you can get others to bite and argue with your point.

I have met your type at the local bar, ....I quit drinking long ago.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
There is a very simple common thread

the US is to volleyball...(Morgan- Massachusetts)

the US is to basketball...(Naismith- Massachusetts---just 10 miles from Morgan)

the US is to American football...(various US citizens.. Walter Camp,John Heisman, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Pop Warner, Fielding H. Yost, and George Halas...with nod to origins in Rugby),

the US is to baseball....(Abner Doubleday--Cooperstown, with nod to Cricket and Rounders)

ie

the US is the inventing/ founding home of these sports

the US is to soccer....

Well clearly its not the home of the sport.

Do you see it as profound of you to say ...

US sports are popular and the US has much success in the sports they founded....but not as much in sports with their roots in other lands.

...Or are you simply entertained by creating a facially false premise and seeing if you can get others to bite and argue with your point.

I have met your type at the local bar, ....I quit drinking long ago.

I find people who can’t take a little ribbing to be entertaining. And there is no group of people who take a little running worse than soccer fans. Meaningless, harmless comment that someone came back with a good meaningless, harmless comment to. It was well done. Then we had to go all “You’re so wrong! The US doesn’t suck at soccer, they’re the Packers/Xavier of soccer you’re just clueless!” So I responded because that is just hysterical.

Also, no idea where soccer was invented, but I’d think a country with the third largest population in the world would have more success in soccer than it has.

But maybe countries like Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, and France all simultaneously invented the sport of soccer, giving them an advantage the US does not have in soccer.

Or, sorry, futbol!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:51:07 PM by wadesworld »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2019, 07:15:15 AM »
I find people who can’t take a little ribbing to be entertaining. And there is no group of people who take a little running (?) worse than soccer fans. Meaningless, harmless comment that someone came back with a good meaningless, harmless comment to. It was well done. Then we had to go all “You’re so wrong! The US doesn’t suck at soccer, they’re the Packers/Xavier of soccer you’re just clueless!” So I responded because that is just hysterical.

Also, no idea where soccer was invented, but I’d think a country with the third largest population in the world would have more success in soccer than it has.

.But maybe countries like Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, and France all simultaneously invented the sport of soccer, giving them an advantage the US does not have in soccer

Or, sorry, futbol!

England... British Empire... Europe... European Colonial Expansion.
Around a century after USA gained independence from all this ...the British soccer game of the late 1800s spread quickly (almost simultaneously) through out its neighbors in Europe, who in turn spread it through their colonies. Track a map of pre WWI Europe and soccer is simply a game permeated through those countries and their then worldwide colonies, including South America and Africa. Even today,  The World Cup slate mirrors a competition of the Old World European powers and their world wide colonial partners with whom they shared this game of soccer.

Population size is a weird irrelevant postulate for you to make. China too has lots of people but because it too was outside the above historical loop it sputters at soccer.

Here...Soccer came to the USA not by origin but by its immigrants. Most immigrants of earlier waves simply Americanized and learned/supported the local USA sports, to "fit in" our melting pot. As modern immigration to the USA is less imposing of uniformity, newer waves brought/preserved a soccer love with them. TV has brought the international game to our home screens. A full generation of our youth have been raised playing the game. It is a popular growing demographic but soccer doesnt now and may never break through and surpass the others  here as ...Commercial support is still highest for USA origin sports. Our nativism viz sport will not permit soccer to surpass but clearly it will continue to grow and prosper.

I will move on now as I rarely engage with those who dont know what they dont know....back in the day...it was easier at the bar to smile, buy them a drink and ask them to talk of something else.

I owe you a drink (smiling)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:41:32 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »
Has the build up of the "deer district" had a negative effect on Old world third at all? I imagine that places like loaded slate, brat house and Buck Bradleys aren't getting the same amount of pregame or postgame crowds anymore

Not a gameday yesterday, but 3rd was hopping yesterday. Nice weather, looked like most of the establishments were busy during the day.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback