[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fun(?) Fact: MU was nearly completely buried in the 2019 NCAA tournament  (Read 2175 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
We lost to Murray State, who in turn lost to Florida State, who in turn lost to Gonzaga, who in turn lost to Texas Tech, who in turn lost to Virginia.

The only game that saved us from being completely buried was Texas Tech over Michigan State. Thanks, Raiders!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
And a few years ago we lost to South Carolina, who then won their round of 32 game, then their sweet 16 game, then their elite 8 game before narrowly losing their Final Four game.

Exactly what is your point?

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BallBoy

• All American
And a few years ago we lost to South Carolina, who then won their round of 32 game, then their sweet 16 game, then their elite 8 game before narrowly losing their Final Four game.

Exactly what is your point?

The point is that last tourney MU lost to a final four team. The thought being MU lost to a hot team.

This year no team made it passed the next opponent after beating MU or the team that beat MU. The thought being that MU lost to a bad team because they lost to a team that lost to another team.

No science to it or any real logic but the thought being if you lose to a final four team then had you not played them you could have been top 8 vs top 64 because you lost to a top 32 who lost to a top 16 to a top 8 to a top 4. Had TT lost to MSU then the top 4 would have lost to a top 2.

Totally meaningless.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Understood, and you and I agree....totally meaningless.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
When I was in high school, Fairfield University was pretty good.  In the 1978 ECAC tournament, they lost in the last seconds to Rhode Island, which got an NCAA tournament birth as a result.  URI proceeded to lose a nail-biter to Duke in the first round.  Duke went on to the finals.  I'm remember thinking Fairfield was pretty close to having a chance to win a game or two in the NCAA tournament.  Which got me to thinking about who had the least reason to say that with a break they could have won the tournament, and I figured it was the team who lost to a team who lost in the next round right through the end of the tournament.  Ever since then I spend a few minutes at the end of the tournament figuring out who that team is.  It is not important and something I just think about myself and do not share.  Glas to hear at least someone else out there thought of the same thing.

This year it ended up being Mississippi State, who lost to Liberty, who lost to Va Tech, who lost to Duke, who lost to Michigan State, who lost to Texas Tech, who lost to Virginia.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
In 2018, UVa lost in the first round to #16 seed UMBC.
UMBC lost its next game to KSU.
KSU won one game (like the TTU analogy to MU), then lost to #11 Loyola.
Loyola lost its next game to Michigan.
Michigan lost its next game to Nova.

So the exact same situation - "nearly completely buried" - except UVa and subsequent teams did worse because they lost to #16 and #11 seeds along the way.

In 2019, UVa won the National Championship.

feedback