[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OH HELL YEAH!  (Read 30144 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: OH HELL YEAH!
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
but the FT shooting MU will be losing, can not be understated.

Holy crap.  You haven't been paying attention.  FTA > FTM

I mean, statistically.  http://theseason.gc.com/basketball-free-throw-rate

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »
Some people out there just don't realize what we lost. Sam was MU's best player.

Nope.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »
I follow Jamal and a couple other players on Instagram, Jamal posted this a day or two ago and Sam actually liked the picture.

That awkward post-breakup period where you promise you'll still be friends...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
Holy crap.  You haven't been paying attention.  FTA > FTM

I mean, statistically.  http://theseason.gc.com/basketball-free-throw-rate

If that is true on a macro level - and all evidence points to that - we should be better when it comes to free throws as Cain, Elliott, and Bailey will get more attempts slashing in the lane.

I think what people worry about when they say this is micro level, end of game situations. FT% in the last two minutes of close games is very important.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »

If that is true on a macro level - and all evidence points to that - we should be better when it comes to free throws as Cain, Elliott, and Bailey will get more attempts slashing in the lane.

I think what people worry about when they say this is micro level, end of game situations. FT% in the last two minutes of close games is very important.

So much this...now in the last two minutes of games, when MU is trying to close out a win at the FT line, who in the hell do you feel confident in(besides Markus), that's going to knock them down?? Certainly not Sacar or Jamal. Koby wasn't a great FT shooter at Utah State. Greg isn't great. No way in hell Theo/Ed are going to knock them down. This could end up being a MAJOR problem.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2019, 04:35:54 PM »
Right, they likely could replace the Hauser's #'s...but now that's needed, where as before anything they added was in ADDITION to what the Hauser's also added. For example..I really believed that next year it was highly possible we would see 50PPG combined from Markus, Sam and Koby. Now, with what's coming back, it might take Markus, Koby and say Brendan and Greg to average that, at least. Where as whatever Greg, Brendan, Jamal etc would have otherwise added was just going to be a very nice addition to the other 3.

I think Sam and Joey would have been an important part of our team but I don't think that the best team would have had them both on the floor at the same time.  Sam and Joey are both better stretch fours.  With Greg and potentially Koby on the team that would push Markus from PG to the 2 which would move Sacar to the three.  Sacar needed to be on the floor to guard the best player on the other team.  If that is the case Sam would have moved to the 4 moving Joey to the bench.  At times Joey may have moved to the 5 but in a 4 out 1in system he loses his value at the 5.  Part of the problem last year was the players were playing out of position.  Throw in Bailey who I felt was playing better at then of the season also at the four and it becomes a competitive position.  Did it play a role in Sam and Joey leaving?  Probably did but there were probably other factors as well. 

I don't see Sam at a three in the NBA as he isn't as athletic as others in that position.   Neither Sam or Joey are as athletic as Dekker.  I think a slow down offense like UW would suit them better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
So just give the ball to Markus.  Or, maybe Greg and Koby improved in their year off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »
So much this...now in the last two minutes of games, when MU is trying to close out a win at the FT line, who in the hell do you feel confident in(besides Markus), that's going to knock them down?? Certainly not Sacar or Jamal. Koby wasn't a great FT shooter at Utah State. Greg isn't great. No way in hell Theo/Ed are going to knock them down. This could end up being a MAJOR problem.

Ed, Sacar, and Brendan all knocked down clutch FTs this season, so they have it in them, not really going to worry about it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muguru

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »
Ed, Sacar, and Brendan all knocked down clutch FTs this season, so they have it in them, not really going to worry about it.

So you're going to tell me that you feel 100% confident that those three can consistently knock them down in end of game situations?? and by end of game, I mean consistently make at least 75-80%??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
Far more worried about defensive rebounding than I am about end of game free throws.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »
Not very many, but I was looking at it in the simplest terms possible..15PPG and 7RPG. There are a couple of guys out there that are grad transfers that could fill that void. But it's highly unlikely they come to MU.

One underrated aspect that I think people aren't paying enough attention to..never mind the VERY good 3P shooting, they are leaving behind...but the FT shooting MU will be losing, can not be understated.
The Hauser boys brought some quality skills to the table .  I hope they do well wherever the end up. However, I am very enthusiastic about the skills Brendan and Jamal will bring to the table as well. Throwing in Kobey and Greg we should have a very solid Big East style team.

We are going to be more of a Providence style team surrounding Markus.  Going into last season I felt Markus was primed to average 24-25 a game. I think this year with the athletes he will have around him, he may move that up to the 27-28 range. With all the slashing and dishing going on the opponents will have to respect that and Markus may find himself wide open again the way he was freshman year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2019, 04:59:48 PM »
Far more worried about defensive rebounding than I am about end of game free throws.

Not an unwarranted concern, but Jamal was a better defensive rebounder (small sample size, I know) than either of the Hausers last year, and Koby was an outstanding defensive rebounder at Utah State.
But I'd really like to see MU add another option at the four before all is said and done.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »

And I recall Markus and Joey missing some clutch free throws. I'd be interested to see percentages for some of these guys in the last few minutes of close games.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2019, 06:25:14 PM »
Love the photo, and I'm not gonna muck up this mostly positive thread by dealing with the negative vibes of a few Scoopers who are only happy when they can whine about something.

Looking forward to cheering on Warriors who want to be Warriors next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »
Nope.
You never did know basketball. Dam ess absolutely Mu's best player, and most here know that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2019, 06:32:49 PM »
I am sure Sam was the best player, but likely the most important player.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »
Horribly stated.
Ur really focused on the lost production of Joey arent u?  Was it his turnovers or turnstile defense that u belive will be the hardest to replace? 
I couldnt for the life of me understand how Joey got so much time. Its now clear that Wojo was attempting to placate the crybabies and their parents. 
We have better players on the roster than Joey that will step right in and we will not miss a beat.  Bailey is a better player than Joey. Will we miss Sam for one year on offense? Yes, however, the defensive improvements at Sams spot may go along way to mitigate his loss on offense.
I think MU is gonna be waaay better than peolpe think
Markus had a hard time getting anything but a step back with 2 guys shooting over 40% from the 3pt line.  Until the other players can do that...i wont hold my breath that we will be better next year then we even were this year.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »
Markus had a hard time getting anything but a step back with 2 guys shooting over 40% from the 3pt line.  Until the other players can do that...i wont hold my breath that we will be better next year then we even were this year.

Simply untrue.

Howard's crossover dribble was much improved his Junior season creating space. He hit floaters, pull-ups, jab jumpers. His finishing at the rim through contact was better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
Unfortunately when Jamal says "big things coming our way" That BIG thing is now likely a top 25 ceiling, as opposed to the top 5 and potential 1 seed they had previously.  :-\

sounds like a little subliminal criticism of the players here to me
don't...don't don't don't don't

muguru

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »
sounds like a little subliminal criticism of the players here to me

No, but let's be honest, when you lose two players the caliber of the Hauser's, it's going to leave a mark. I'd love to see them be as good as they were projected to be with the Hauser's...but I don't think that will happen..maybe with a couple of the right outside additions, but likely not even then unfortunately.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
Guru

I hope the replacement guys end up being as good as the Hausers, but who is going to back them up?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »
Simply untrue.

Howard's crossover dribble was much improved his Junior season creating space. He hit floaters, pull-ups, jab jumpers. His finishing at the rim through contact was better.
Better...sure.  FAR from anything that worried teams...they ran him off the line...especially towards the end of the year.  It wont get any easier with two guys who shot over 40% from 3 now gone and a complete inability to scare anyone with his passing abilities.  Teams will run him off the line and the double can come from anywhere until guys prove they can hit 3's and Howard proves he can drive and kick.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
Guru

I hope the replacement guys end up being as good as the Hausers, but who is going to back them up?
5-Theo, Ed , Ike( if Healthy)
3-4 Brendan, Jamal, Sacar
1-2 Markus, Greg, Koby

Dexter should redshirt and only play in event of emergency

Target a couple of Pogo Stick grad transfers

Everyone should be happy with their role
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »
but the FT shooting MU will be losing, can not be understated.

#FTsNoMatta

Sam didn't get to the line much. That matters.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
#FTsNoMatta

Sam didn't get to the line much. That matters.
Most of his FTs were at the end of the game.  Those matta.

feedback