[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hausers' NBA Draft stock  (Read 4960 times)

Cream Biggums

• Starter
Hausers' NBA Draft stock
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:33:58 AM »
After thinking it over it's pretty clear, Sam has a much better chance of getting drafted by transferring. As great of a team we're supposed to be next year, it's the Markus show and Sam's stats suffer because of it. If Sam transfers to a team like Virginia or Michigan State, he has a good chance to be the leading scorer on an elite team. Looking back at previous drafts, that situation almost always gets you drafted.

Even though we're a projected a top 10 team for next season, going through the end of season collapse has to affect your confidence that this team can really make a final four run or even a sweet 16. By going and playing at Michigan St or Virginia, teams that routinely finish near the top of their conferences and make sweet 16 runs almost every year, he has that confidence that he'll be showcased to scouts. It's what I would do in his situation and likely what most of you would do if you were in his shoes and not behind your MU goggles.

Joey is a different story, but most likely feels similarly to Sam about the program and playing with Markus.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: Hausers' NBA Draft stock
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
The problem is that scouts see past the college stats. Sam will get drafted on a number of other factors.

I believe they look at the intangibles and project forward. PPG isn't a reliable barometer of fit in the NBA.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:40:33 AM »
Too many variables.  Maybe they feel if they make it to the NBA, then it was the right move for them.  If they don't they probably weren't going to make it at Marquette (which may or may not be true).  In the past I hadn't cared much about the resulting college careers of players who transferred from MU, were getting plenty of playing time, the fans liked and considered important parts of the team.  But this time I have to admit, I want to see how this all plays out. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:21:36 AM by NCMUFan »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 05:45:42 AM »
I think they just wanted to enjoy playing bball for a coach who practices what he preaches...resulting in them playing on a true team.  Then let the chips fall where they may.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 06:36:18 AM »
I think they just wanted to enjoy playing bball for a coach who practices what he preaches...resulting in them playing on a true team.  Then let the chips fall where they may.
That is an interesting comment.  I can see where someone might come to that conclusion if they looked at last year only.  But was that the case for the previous four years?  Would that have been the case in 2019-20 with better ball handlers and play makers than Markus?  Were the circumstances this past year with lack of guards and play makers that pushed MU to play as it did?  Anyone can check my posts this previous year that I advocated an offense with four players that could score 15 plus points per game as I believed this was the model of MU success in the Crean and Buzz years.  I for one also was not a fan of the hero ball mentality.  But to say they weren't playing for a "true team" is a bit of a reach.  Maybe grass is just greener on the other side of the fence.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:27:19 AM by NCMUFan »

connie

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:41 AM »
You ignore the reality that there are many teams with multiple players that get drafted. If Sam has what it takes, he would be found.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 07:24:43 AM »
You ignore the reality that there are many teams with multiple players that get drafted. If Sam has what it takes, he would be found.
Yep. Sam has one elite skill and that’s pretty much it. He can display that anywhere and to say that he couldn’t display it well enough at MU is laughable.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
Sam has one elite skill, but he does a lot of things very well.  He's a good rebounder.  He's got good vision.  He plays well when the pace is high.  He's never going to be a star, but I certainly think he can be a rotational player.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
Sam will be really old by the time he finishes college now, will hurt his draft stock significantly unless he absolutely blows up.  If he averages like 18 and 8 and plays well he's not getting drafted as a 5 year college player.  Look at Malcolm Brogdon, very good in college, game that fit the NBA (much more than what Sam would bring), second round pick because of his age.  Transfer makes little since to help Sam be drafted, Joey it could help if he turns out to be good but that has yet to happen to an NBA extent.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 07:42:46 AM »
And if the 2016 draft were held now, Brogdan would be a top 10 pick.

There are players his age drafted almost every year.  And don't worry about stats.  NBA scouts look at skills.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »
Sam has one elite skill, but he does a lot of things very well.  He's a good rebounder.  He's got good vision.  He plays well when the pace is high.  He's never going to be a star, but I certainly think he can be a rotational player.
He is a good rebounder in college, not so sure against NBA level athletes, but the only skill that’s going get him a look at next level is his shooting. If we think he looks slow now, just wait. Only going to be magnified and I don’t think he’s going to do himself any favors if he goes to Virginia/ACC.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:55:11 AM »
Henry was taller, quicker, and handled the ball better.  The Hausers shoot better.  I don't know they can stay in front of G-league forwards.  But I wish them well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:03:06 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 08:02:04 AM »
And if the 2016 draft were held now, Brogdan would be a top 10 pick.

There are players his age drafted almost every year.  And don't worry about stats.  NBA scouts look at skills.
My point is being old is going to hurt his stock, not that it is right or wrong.  I can tell you for sure I would not be happy with my NBA team drafting Sam in the first round (or Ellenson, or Marcus for that matter). 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
After thinking it over it's pretty clear, Sam has a much better chance of getting drafted by transferring. As great of a team we're supposed to be next year, it's the Markus show and Sam's stats suffer because of it. If Sam transfers to a team like Virginia or Michigan State, he has a good chance to be the leading scorer on an elite team. Looking back at previous drafts, that situation almost always gets you drafted.

Even though we're a projected a top 10 team for next season, going through the end of season collapse has to affect your confidence that this team can really make a final four run or even a sweet 16. By going and playing at Michigan St or Virginia, teams that routinely finish near the top of their conferences and make sweet 16 runs almost every year, he has that confidence that he'll be showcased to scouts. It's what I would do in his situation and likely what most of you would do if you were in his shoes and not behind your MU goggles.

Joey is a different story, but most likely feels similarly to Sam about the program and playing with Markus.

I really don't see Sam as a leading scorer on an elite team where he would be the primary focus of a defense.  That said, he is an outstanding complimentary player would should thrive in a situation where he benefits from defensive attention being drawn to other guys and him knocking down kick out passes with an occasional post up opportunity. The situation at MU could have pretty easily met that criteria with a more balanced approach and emphasis on finding the open man.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
I think a lot of fans assume this transfer by the Hausers was to put them in the best position to showcase for the next level, and it’s an understandable assumption to make. I don’t think that was much of the motivation. I think playing for a different coach they can trust in a healthier program is the primary motivation.
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »
Put Sam and Joey on a team with a slashing pass-first PG and they both thrive.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
I think a lot of fans assume this transfer by the Hausers was to put them in the best position to showcase for the next level, and it’s an understandable assumption to make. I don’t think that was much of the motivation. I think playing for a different coach they can trust in a healthier program is the primary motivation.

I think you make a good point. If you read the comments by their SPASH coach, he did say these boys really just want to win. Maybe they just want to go play a better program?

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
Who cares? They made the decision for their own reasons. You think they'd perform better while miserable? That alone, being chronically unhappy for any reason whatsoever, is enough to transfer. Maybe they had seasonal affective disorder. Wisconsin winters suck. Maybe they'll go play in Hawaii.

The act of leaving a suboptimal situation alone should improve their results. Good for them. Why does it matter to us?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 09:01:08 AM »
Who cares? They made the decision for their own reasons. You think they'd perform better while miserable? That alone, being chronically unhappy for any reason whatsoever, is enough to transfer. Maybe they had seasonal affective disorder. Wisconsin winters suck. Maybe they'll go play in Hawaii.

The act of leaving a suboptimal situation alone should improve their results. Good for them. Why does it matter to us?

It matters to us because we’re stuck with the guy who created that suboptimal situation.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »

Assuming Sam would be the leading score on MSU or UVA after sitting out a year is a massive leap.  NBA scouts already know what he is capable of. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
It matters to us because we’re stuck with the guy who created that suboptimal situation.

Okay, so what exactly does their NBA draft stock have to do with Wojo?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 09:34:12 AM »
If Pat Connaughton can get significant minutes with the Bucks, anything can happen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
If Pat Connaughton can get significant minutes with the Bucks, anything can happen.

Pat Connaughton is way more athletic than Sam. You saw Sam barely able to dunk this season, right?
Here's Connaughton posterizing Jabari Parker back on college. No comparison.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 10:31:44 AM »

No.

Connaughton is an elite athlete. I would bet his vertical is double what Sam’s is.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
No.

Connaughton is an elite athlete. I would bet his vertical is double what Sam’s is.

He had the 2nd highest max vertical jump in combine history (44 inches).

An interesting side stat, he had a lower usage rate at ND his final year (16%) than Hauser (20%).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:38:20 AM by forgetful »

feedback