[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Deficiencies  (Read 6852 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Wojo's Deficiencies
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
Whether it's the overdiscussed huddles, the inability to keep next year's roster together, or the complaints we've heard from Froling of late, it seems like there's a communication problem.

The guy who left two schools after one year and whose brother left school after one year?  I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 04:44:22 PM »
Rocket

Joey was not going to have diminished role. Again, everyone is high on Elliott making a big jump, but based off small sample size. Joey has a much bigger sample size and to not think he would improve is crazy. The loss of Joey will prove to big a one down the road.
Agree with this analysis
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
The guy who left two schools after one year and whose brother left school after one year?  I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

Sure, maybe so, but the expectation of reduced transfers hasn't really been the case. I'll be the first to say that my huddles comment was tongue in cheek, but I do think there are some communication issues overall. The loss of either Hauser, as near as I can tell, would be unprecedented. A junior that was one of the stars, all-conference, & expected to start on a top-10 team leaving without being able to play immediately and no roster changes? Never heard of that before. A first-team high-major freshman that would be a presumptive starter on a top-10 team leaving and burning a year of eligibility in the process? Haven't heard that before either. Both at the same time? That's a problem. No way around it.

And this isn't the first time we've seen some questionable transfers that seem to be communication related. Gabe Levin left never seeing the court. Steve Taylor going for the sit-one/play-one before that became a thing (and it is still fairly uncommon). Traci Carter leaving mid-season after being a freshman starter. Froling leaving to go pro after being a bit contributor then talking about how his situation was similar to the Hausers after the fact. Haanif leaving when he had started & earned 20+ mpg in every game. There are plenty that were fairly straight-forward, but some that were pretty weird. Individually, they can all be explained, but in general we have 1-2 kind of weird transfers each season. That would seem to be down to some sort of communication problem.

People who defend Wojo on everything are willing to excuse everything. People who want him fired immediately find a way to blame him for everything. I'm neither of those, but I do think there are a lot of concerning issues that give me pause & there are very few sentinel moments to convince me he's the long-term answer. And when we're in the midst of two simultaneously unprecedented transfers out, I think it's fair to at least consider the words of those that left here feeling slighted.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
And this isn't the first time we've seen some questionable transfers that seem to be communication related. Gabe Levin left never seeing the court. Steve Taylor going for the sit-one/play-one before that became a thing (and it is still fairly uncommon). Traci Carter leaving mid-season after being a freshman starter. Froling leaving to go pro after being a bit contributor then talking about how his situation was similar to the Hausers after the fact. Haanif leaving when he had started & earned 20+ mpg in every game. There are plenty that were fairly straight-forward, but some that were pretty weird. Individually, they can all be explained, but in general we have 1-2 kind of weird transfers each season. That would seem to be down to some sort of communication problem.

Hausers are certainly a red flag. The rest of those? Not so sure. Levin and Taylor both left after Henry committed. Traci left when it became apparent that Rowsey and Howard were going to take all of his minutes. Froling was bad. Haanif depends on if you believe that he truly wanted to move home or not. Could have been a red flag I guess.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 05:30:27 PM »
Hausers are certainly a red flag. The rest of those? Not so sure. Levin and Taylor both left after Henry committed. Traci left when it became apparent that Rowsey and Howard were going to take all of his minutes. Froling was bad. Haanif depends on if you believe that he truly wanted to move home or not. Could have been a red flag I guess.

Like I said, individually they can all be excused. Collectively, it seems like it's the head coach who should communicate to guys how their roles may be impacted by new arrivals. The Hausers are a screaming, neon sign level red flag, but I think the others may have been caution signs that we just dismissed because, as I said, individually they can all be explained & they were spread apart.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
Like I said, individually they can all be excused. Collectively, it seems like it's the head coach who should communicate to guys how their roles may be impacted by new arrivals. The Hausers are a screaming, neon sign level red flag, but I think the others may have been caution signs that we just dismissed because, as I said, individually they can all be explained & they were spread apart.

Eh....D1 programs average somewhere between 2-3 transfers a year. I'm having a hard time saying that 1-2 easily explainable transfers a year should have been warning signs.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.