[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Post Cresent Article - interview with Hauser's Splash Coach About ...  (Read 3555 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Post Cresent Article - interview with Hauser's Splash Coach About ...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »
Interview for me pretty much confirms what I was hoping.  They are simply looking for a different style of offense to play in.  Our motion offense, right or wrong, is heavily dependent on being able to create your own shot off the dribble or in a post up situation.  This style of offense is perfect for high usage guards like Howard and Koby but not ideal for stretch 4s and 5s.

In having a few days to think about this I think this move might be best for both parties which is strange to say when you lose two highly talented players like the bros.  However, while I was excited for next year in that we were returning almost everyone, in the back of my mind I was having a hard time seeing how we would be any better next year then we were this year.  With this change I think we will see an entirely different flow to our offense and time will tell if that’s good or bad. 

Best of luck to Sam and Joey and fingers crossed we look back at this and see it as working out for both mubb and the Hausers. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
Interview for me pretty much confirms what I was hoping.  They are simply looking for a different style of offense to play in.  Our motion offense, right or wrong, is heavily dependent on being able to create your own shot off the dribble or in a post up situation.  This style of offense is perfect for high usage guards like Howard and Koby but not ideal for stretch 4s and 5s.

In having a few days to think about this I think this move might be best for both parties which is strange to say when you lose two highly talented players like the bros.  However, while I was excited for next year in that we were returning almost everyone, in the back of my mind I was having a hard time seeing how we would be any better next year then we were this year.  With this change I think we will see an entirely different flow to our offense and time will tell if that’s good or bad. 

Best of luck to Sam and Joey and fingers crossed we look back at this and see it as working out for both mubb and the Hausers.

Excellent response. I will have my fingers crossed as well for all parties.

Only addition for the future is the coach needs to either recruit players that match his game plan or change his game plan to match the skill set of his players. The coach lost two very talented players and put Marquette in a difficult situation because of these miscalculations.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
Yup agree 100% in that Wojo should have identified that their skill set might not best match up with his offensive scheme.  With that said though both Wojo, and Sam specifically, were able to make it work as Sam was on pace to finish his career as arguably a top 10 shooter/scorer in the history of the program so there was certainly individual success but I believe Sam will have even more success in a ball movement oriented offense with set positions on the court, i.e the swing offense or something of the sort.

In hind sight Sam committed very early on in Wojo’s tenureship and I’m sure Wojo was feeling pressure to earn his local recruiting “stripes” so while he might have identified from the get go that it wasn’t going to be a perfect marriage I’m guessing he said to hell with it, we’ll find a way to make it work.  Which they did for the most part.

My optimism/expectations for next year remain unchanged.  Bailey needs to step up to fill Joey’s abscence and it’s going to take a collective team effort to make up for the loss of production from Sammy but it’s been done before so no excuse they can’t do it again.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:48 AM »

Nice post. Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »

This quote from the SPASH coach pretty much confirmed what I was seeing all season long in body language on the court: "I know what’s important to them and winning is important to them and being in a team structure situation where the ball does move and it’s shared more, I think that’s important to them." There were so many times Sam and/or Joey had their arms out ready to receive a pass for an open look that never came while Markus dribbled for a shot or drive. Their frustration was so evident, even early on when Markus was knocking down many of the tough shots he'd take. I don't think they Hausers are necessarily looking for more shots elsewhere, they got quite a few. I think they are looking for a system that would suit their game, which would involve drive and kick outs with perimeter passing for a wide open look. I'm not necessarily blaming Markus, but have struggled to understand how we seldom had an offensive approach of getting the defense spinning until we had an open 3 with all the very high level perimeter shooters we had. We should have been a nightmare to guard from a multi-threat standpoint.

One point that I haven't really seen discussed among all the talk about why did Sam/the Hausers have Joey go to MU if they were so unhappy with the offensive system. I really think Markus's game changed quite a bit this year with his development of the change of pace dribbles and runners that opened things up for him in terms of offensive options. With that, he became so much more ball dominant and I suspect the offense became very different than what the Hausers and maybe even the coaching staff envisioned for this season. Yes, it is on the coaches to control that, but the early season success probably contributed to creating the disaster scenario that occurred as things got more difficult down the stretch.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
This quote from the SPASH coach pretty much confirmed what I was seeing all season long in body language on the court: "I know what’s important to them and winning is important to them and being in a team structure situation where the ball does move and it’s shared more, I think that’s important to them."
I think that's very important to the coach and he may be projecting a little there. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
I think that's very important to the coach and he may be projecting a little there.

That entire quote, coming from a HS coach, is such a crock.
As if Wojo doesn’t want to win.
As if Wojo doesn’t have structure to the Offense.
You don’t make those statements to the media...
Unless you are a lifer HS coach.
There isn’t a kid truly worth signing in Wisconsin that will
fall prey to or care one iota about nonsensical quotes like this.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
I thought his comments were pretty fair.  I mean, what can you do.  They both played major minutes and got a ton of shots and very good looks.  They were highly effective in this system.  The team was positioned for major success next year.  Apparently that was not enough.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »
Given what has transpired, I don’t see how you can be so dismissive about the quote. We ran a stagnant offense where the ball often was in one player’s hands, clearly frustrating the Hausers on many occasions. The Hausers are leaving under highly unusual circumstances, especially Sam. Not much of a leap to see some merit in a comment about them preferring to play in a situation with more ball movement.

Mulu7

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 01:36:06 AM »
The SPASH coaches son, Trevor, currently plays for the rodents and is best friends with the Hausers.  No doubt that trevor and his dad have been critical of Wojo and any offense he has tried to run. 

feedback