'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Player comments  (Read 18618 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Player comments
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »
Agreed and I feel the same way about the Hausers.  Ultimately, the coach put them together.

Yep.

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »
The amount of shots that posters here are taking at a 20 year old kid who is a great representative of the university is disgusting.

Even if that's not reality and it's just perception. Even if his style of play is maddening at times. Even if every negative thing said here about him is true. It's still disgusting.

Agree. Completely ridiculous.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »
The amount of shots that posters here are taking at a 20 year old kid who is a great representative of the university is disgusting.

Even if that's not reality and it's just perception. Even if his style of play is maddening at times. Even if every negative thing said here about him is true. It's still disgusting.

Yep, it is downright embarrassing for Scoop and for those posters.

Markus is a 20-year old kid who is a great representative of the university, who will graduate as our all-time leading scorer, and who (by all indications) does exactly what his coach asks of him.

Some people just need someone to criticize....

onepost

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »

Markus is a 20-year old kid who is a great representative of the university, who will graduate as our all-time leading scorer, and who (by all indications) does exactly what his coach asks of him.

L......O......L

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »

Yep, it is downright embarrassing for Scoop and for those posters.

Some people just need someone to criticize....

I just want to add. This phenomenon of hyper-extreme anonymous takes on the internet transcends Scoop, MU, men's college basketball, sports, and... Pretty much everything.

Undoubtedly, these people that are melting down over this are also posting extreme takes elsewhere. Although one would think that educated people would be somewhat more immune to this phenomenon, it's clear that there are more factors at play than just that. It's also clear that just being college-educated doesn't mean you ever developed critical thinking skills or objective thought.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 03:07:44 PM »

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
I just want to add. This phenomenon of hyper-extreme anonymous takes on the internet transcends Scoop, MU, men's college basketball, sports, and... Pretty much everything.

Undoubtedly, these people that are melting down over this are also posting extreme takes elsewhere. Although one would think that educated people would be somewhat more immune to this phenomenon, it's clear that there are more factors at play than just that. It's also clear that just being college-educated doesn't mean you ever developed critical thinking skills or objective thought.

+1

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
L......O......L

So what do you believe Markus did that was contrary to Wojo's requests?

I can answer that: NOTHING.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »

Well said. I think whatever causes these people to rant also clouds whatever critical thinking skills they might otherwise have possessed.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 03:44:49 PM »
Agree. Completely ridiculous.

Disgusting what I have read.  Shameful. 

Blood in the water for some members here so they believe nothing is out of bounds.  It is!
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

onepost

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »

So what do you believe Markus did that was contrary to Wojo's requests?

I can answer that: NOTHING.

- Freelancing against the flow of the offense to the point the team felt compelled to write the coach a unnatural carnal knowledgeing letter because it was killing this team.
- Deliberately ignoring play calls to Sam and Joey late in games to instead put up contested shots.....that were missed.
- Insisting that he "shoot his way back" coming back from foul trouble rather than go with the gameplan.

These aren't beliefs, these are facts.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »
Well said. I think whatever causes these people to rant also clouds whatever critical thinking skills they might otherwise have possessed.

Part of it IMHO is the rapid availability of sources to rant. This wasn't always the case until very recently because you would have had to walk to your computer, boot it up, open your web browser, and wait longer for things to load. In the past that would have been more than enough time to process the emotions and think better of it.

Within the last few years everyone now has a smartphone in their pocket (alongside pages that are now optimized for ease of use and speed) where within seconds they can begin their instantaneous emotional rant, that otherwise wouldn't have lasted long enough to make it through the prior process.

I think that's part of the reason you see so many new threads on the Hauser topic and that they are all emotional rants... No time to waste on trying to find one of the existing 10s of threads to park it in when you need to get the emotional rant started immediately.

Essentially, one can get onto the internet and commence the emotional rant prior to even thinking... In some ways the internet has actually replaced thinking, for some.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:53:33 PM by The Hamberdler »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »
- Freelancing against the flow of the offense to the point the team felt compelled to write the coach a unnatural carnal knowledgeing letter because it was killing this team.
- Deliberately ignoring play calls to Sam and Joey late in games to instead put up contested shots.....that were missed.
- Insisting that he "shoot his way back" coming back from foul trouble rather than go with the gameplan.

I hope believing that makes you feel better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »

Do you have a link supporting the "fact" that plays were called for Sam/Joey and Markus intentionally ignored them to jack his own shots? I'd like to know the exact plays in question; if  true, that information should be easy to furnish.

I'm not saying it's untrue, onepost, just that I hadn't heard it before. It's quite a charge and should be supported by evidence that everybody can see and judge for themselves.

The other two facts go back to coaching. If Wojo is in charge the way a coach should be in charge, he could have nipped it in the bud. At least theoretically.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 04:13:57 PM »
Do you have a link supporting the "fact" that plays were called for Sam/Joey and Markus intentionally ignored them to jack his own shots? I'd like to know the exact plays in question; if  true, that information should be easy to furnish.

I'm not saying it's untrue, onepost, just that I hadn't heard it before. It's quite a charge and should be supported by evidence that everybody can see and judge for themselves.

The other two facts go back to coaching. If Wojo is in charge the way a coach should be in charge, he could have nipped it in the bud. At least theoretically.

Yep, I'd love to see that documentation, as well as the letter that onepost claims the team sent to Wojo. If he is certain they are "facts," that should mean he has the evidence.

Otherwise, it's just speculation and hearsay....

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »

Wait for the PM, 82!

onepost

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »
If you're gonna be such Doubting Thomas's that you require specific clips from games and a physical copy of a letter that was obviously (given how our season ended) torn up and thrown in the trash upon receipt, then clearly this is a fool's errand.  I presume you watched our late season collapse, take your pick of awful Markus decision when other options were wide.

I was foolishly willing to pass along what I was told, clearly to a fault.  Find one person on here who can dispute any of what I've said.  You don't want to believe it and that's fine.  But now I see why people are so reticent to share info here.  From now on I'll keep what I hear to myself and admire how deep your heads are in the sand.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »
If you're gonna be such Doubting Thomas's that you require specific clips from games and a physical copy of a letter that was obviously (given how our season ended) torn up and thrown in the trash upon receipt, then clearly this is a fool's errand.  I presume you watched our late season collapse, take your pick of awful Markus decision when other options were wide.

I was foolishly willing to pass along what I was told, clearly to a fault.  Find one person on here who can dispute any of what I've said. You don't want to believe it and that's fine.  But now I see why people are so reticent to share info here.  From now on I'll keep what I hear to myself and admire how deep your heads are in the sand.

Read the bolded part above.  You made a claim.  The burden of proof is on you to back up that claim - not on other people to provide evidence to the contrary.  It's pretty simple. 

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
- Freelancing against the flow of the offense.....
- Deliberately ignoring play calls to Sam and Joey.....

Then this is on Wojo.  You sit his ass down if that is what he was doing.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »
Then this is on Wojo.  You sit his ass down if that is what he was doing.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.  The majority of blame falls on Wojo, as I've been saying.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »
Read the bolded part above.  You made a claim.  The burden of proof is on you to back up that claim - not on other people to provide evidence to the contrary.  It's pretty simple.
I think what he's asking for is for someone to provide evidence that what he said is wrong.  Like, show us specific plays that Markus didn't not run the plays that Wojo called for Sam or Joey.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2019, 07:20:48 AM »
I think what he's asking for is for someone to provide evidence that what he said is wrong.  Like, show us specific plays that Markus didn't not run the plays that Wojo called for Sam or Joey.

Exactly and that's not how burden of proof works. He may be 100% correct but you don't make a claim as fact and ask others to provide evidence to the contrary to disprove it.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »

This isn’t fact, but purely speculation. As in any divorce, there are always two sides to the story.

It appears that you are on the Hausers side here- you seem defensive of their stance and justify their departure based on a gripe they had with Markus’ share of the offense and wojos inability to control it.

Of course I couldn’t possibly know this but my guess would be that you are friends with them, or friends or a friend or connected in some way. That would give you this info about the letter and thus give you the story from that perspective, and you would naturally take their side in this one.

It really doesn’t matter if the above is true (and I will not PM you to find out), the point still stands that there are two sides to every story depending on your perspective or bias

Take for example a written letter in February. If this was indeed done at that time, when the team was at the top of the conference and basketball world, winners of 12/13 and in the top 10, knocking on the door of a conference ship- then the opposing viewpoint would be that its a completely scum move on the part of those players. It would show that instead of concentrating on the task at hand and enjoying/living in the moment it is they that are worried about their own individual achievements.

That would be an awful time of the season to be distracted and bring that distraction to the team. Lest we not forget these two dudes had a pretty large minute and market share of the marquette offense all season.

So from the opposing POV it can be viewed that these dissenting athletes, with undoubtably someone in their ear getting them distracted from the task at hand, are causing a rift in the team at the worst time humanly possible by complaining behind closed doors and not concentrating on the awesome and historical season the program is having.

It’s really easy to see how this then could be part of the main reason for the teams downfall at seasons end. We all saw what happened in March and don’t need to rehash it here. You throw in a rift in the locker room over something as petty as you aren’t getting the ball enough when your team has been absolutely killing and it gets in everyone’s head, including your coach and star player who has been the biggest reason of you even being in that position. This then leads to this disgruntled and distracted star taking defense and the “f you” approach and it all spirals badly and sadly out of control.

Again I’m not saying I know what happened, but I’m just pointing out that every single event can be seen in multiple perspectives. You argue the letter was necessary cause Markus was getting out of control, someone else can argue that it was completely foolish/selfish at that point in time (wait til seasons end maybe?).
You argue that wojo lost control of the situation and couldn’t curtail Markus leading to two of his better players leaving, someone else could argue about how miserable it would be having those brothas father in your ear game in game out and then receiving a letter complaining that they aren’t being used enough when the team is on the verge of something great, how infuriating.
You argue that it’s not only Sam/Joey but a lot of people feel that way, someone else would argue that without their displeasure/discontent as a pivotal point in the season the others would’ve continued to stay on board and it wouldn’t have ended the way it did.

There’s only one thing none of us can argue, the entire thing is fuc*ed
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:46:00 AM by DoctorV »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
Very interesting that so many of the whiners here don't post a lot. But, like GURU, they will always crawl out of the woodwork when there is anything negative around the program.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
DrV, I think your angle sums this up perfectly.  I don't like this situation any more than anyone else, but it illustrates the gray areas that most certainly exist between the sides.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.