[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So who fills the gaps?  (Read 8626 times)

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
Re: So who fills the gaps?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »
You will have to change the game plan and scheme entirely...

it doesn't matter who can shoot and who can't.

From who is left, they now have some talented scorers as opposed to shooters per se and great athleticism and rangy and versatile games on both ends.

Their offense will come out of their trapping defense and ability to get out in transition. They will be just fine...and fun to watch once they get their legs.

This might be one of the most anticipated seasons I can remember in awhile. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 12:33:23 AM »
Warning...Wisconsin natives turn away please....(and know I’m just as down on Chicago area basketball leading anyone to the promised land )

Dgies says “the best in the state are now going out of state or to Bucky.”

Other than Racine’s own Jim Chones and a couple of talented kids coached by Bo Ryan under a rigid system, just how many WI kids have led teams very far? Wojo is correct in noting how skilled and well-coached WI kids are, but I don’t think any of them are blowing people away with their talent. I’d bet in private Wojo would admit that you can’t recruit primarily in WI and win big at the highest levels. Wojo has plenty of bonafides to expand his recruiting base. The next few weeks will be crucial indeed. I wouldn’t bet against Coach or our program.
Excellent take...nor would I.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:38 AM »

From who is left, they now have some talented scorers as opposed to shooters per se and great athleticism and rangy and versatile games on both ends.

Their offense will come out of their trapping defense and ability to get out in transition. They will be just fine...and fun to watch once they get their legs

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with this analysis!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 12:40:18 AM »
It’s hard to argue with any of this.
I agree with everything you said until you answered the Wisconsin question like any MU fan would...in fear.

But truthfully, WISCONSIN BADGERS WOULD BE PERFECT for them.

But you are right, it was a bad decision if not hasty wasting a year in the case of Sam who is following his brother.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 12:51:53 AM »
Sam and Joey would likely be a perfect fit at Wisconsin. Maybe it's as simple as that. But I sure hope they're not headed to Madison.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:54:11 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Class71

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 04:02:50 AM »

Their offense will come out of their trapping defense and ability to get out in transition. They will be just fine...and fun to watch once they get their legs.

So are you saying Wojo made an error and should have started the backups and benched the slow Hausers?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »

Problem, Wojo is a system guy and won't be changing his approach. Unfortunately, it's up to the kids to adapt because Wojo won't/can't.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 07:21:21 AM »
Warning...Wisconsin natives turn away please....(and know I’m just as down on Chicago area basketball leading anyone to the promised land )

Other than Racine’s own Jim Chones and a couple of talented kids coached by Bo Ryan under a rigid system, just how many WI kids have led teams very far? Wojo is correct in noting how skilled and well-coached WI kids are, but I don’t think any of them are blowing people away with their talent. I’d bet in private Wojo would admit that you can’t recruit primarily in WI and win big at the highest levels. Wojo has plenty of bonafides to expand his recruiting base. The next few weeks will be crucial indeed. I wouldn’t bet against Coach or our program.

I generally agree with this. However, when talent arises in your own state, the locals have to be competitive for it. Like the case with Mr. Chones, if you have someone in the State whose that good, they need to be listening to Coach Wojo.

Incidentally, Jim McIllivaine also is from Racine. Tony Smith was from Wauwatosa, Vander Blue and Wes Matthews were from Madison, Henry Ellenson was from Rice Lake.

Instead, they're now going to be listening to that horses ass in Madison.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »

Are you kidding me.  Is this where people's heads are at?  There are more than a few NBA players from Wisconsin.  You take those players every time they are available and twice on Tuesdays.

The mental gymnastics that people play around here to justify dog crap is embarrassing.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
Didn't people think Wojo would have a tough time recruiting Wisconsin when the Henry/wally situation went down? We seemed to come out okay then

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
A couple of thoughts and then I'll address the issue:

1) When I was in high school, we had two basketball players who were 6'11" and 6'9". Both were all-state and led our team to the state finals, where we lost to a Memphis team that moved across the street to Memphis State. Our guys went to the SEC and were never seen nor heard from again. The morale was in high school when you're that good, you only play against comparable talent a few times a year and in summer barnstorming. When you get to college, you play against talent that's up to you every night. Joey, particularly, found that out and apparently does not have the patience to learn the game at the college level. It takes time. It's also easier to blame your coach and/or teammates than it is to look inside yourself and see what you have to do to be a pro.

2) These guys were nuts in leaving. At worst, Markus has a year left. Work on your game. With a new point guard coming in, chances are the Hausers were going to get a lot more touches than this year. Especially if they really are open and can knock down the threes. They had a chance to create a legacy and be part of a Top5 to Top 10 team. Now, they're on the pine next year and if they go anyplace they mention except Wisconsin, they'll be part-time to occasional players until they learn the system and solve their weaknesses. If they go to Wisconsin, they have no chance of being part of anything that good.

Now for our program:

3) I have been a Wojo fan until today. As a coach, you're going to lose players. That's a fact of life. Everybody has at one point or another. Heck, for awhile, Iowa State was Marquette West. But the Hausers are two hallmark recruits from the State of Wisconsin who bolted. That can't happen and leads to a lot of the same questions we raised about the Cowboy (formerly the Hillbilly) when the Cowboy could not keep Vander Blue and had no point guard.

4) It's too late to fire Wojo but the heat under his seat just went to 1000 kelvin. If we don't replace the Hausers (yes, I agree, Brendan is one of the replacements but now we need depth) and we don't make the NCAA and win a game there, Wojo will be burned at the stake in front of Joan of Arc on a cold Saturday morning. No, not fired, burned at the stake. That's how big this is. Even the BOT and Dr. Lovell had to notice the revenue implication of this one.

5) Greg Gard woke up this morning and saw a goat, vis a vi recruiting in the State of Wisconsin. He'll go to bed seeing a stallion. Marquette's chances with the best in the state just went to 0. The best in the state are now either going out of state or to Bucky. And if the Hausers are successful at Bucky, maybe we should move the university to Michigan or Illinois!

6) Assuming no major line-up changes, I tend to agree Sacar and Brendan will play key roles in our success next year. Here's another idea: if Theo and Ed cut down on the fouls, what about having Ed Morrow as a power forward in the line-up at the same time as Theo. Two beasts on the boards. I wouldn't want to mix it up down there with those two! Put another way, "You have just been Theoed!"

7) I also think Greg Elliott and Jamal Cain will be key to our success.

Ultimately, if there was this much discord on the team between Markus and the Hausers, something had to give. That's on the coach to keep the egos and the outside influence in check. Wojo didn't and that's why I'm having serious concerns about his leadership. With this example, can we be effective recruiting the talent we need to in order to be a Top 10 team?

Time will tell.

Wojo has fine tuned car....then at season end it sputters and now the wheels fall off.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
We may see more of Ed and Theo playing together. Ed isn’t an above the rim PF, but he’s definitely a PF.
I thought about this. The trouble is they are both foul prone. last year we at least had Heldt. Maybe Eke can take Heldt's spot, but I suspect that Eke will never play.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »
Starters:    Markus, Koby, Sacar, Brendan, Theo.   
Top 4 off the bench:   Cain, Morrow, Torrence, Elliott.
Wild card:  Ike.

Upside:   More speed, more getting to the rim off the dribble thanks to McEwen, probably better man defense.
Downside:   Fewer shooters.   Defensive rebounding.   Size down low.   

More three guard offense, but all of the guards other than Markus have size.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »

Upside:   More speed, more getting to the rim off the dribble thanks to McEwen, probably better man defense.

Floor-spacing is going to be a big issue here. Wojo's four-out, one-in offense is based on dragging bigs out of the lane to guard on the perimeter. The Hausers ability to shoot, opened up the lane for Markus.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:52:46 PM by RJax55 »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 12:51:50 PM »

I'd be surprised if we don't get a wing type grad transfer to fill some of holes now exposed at the 3/4.  3 Schollies to play with now.  Assume Symir takes one.  Traditional transfer with 1.  Grad with the last. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
The team will be more cohesive next year and Bailey and Cain will do a great job replacing the Hausers.   
UNC Grad MU Fan

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:23 PM »
Are you kidding me.  Is this where people's heads are at?  There are more than a few NBA players from Wisconsin.  You take those players every time they are available and twice on Tuesdays.

The mental gymnastics that people play around here to justify dog crap is embarrassing.

And herein lies the problem.

I guarantee you that Wojo recruited the Hauser bros. thinking they would do whatever it takes to win. Not the mindset he got. If a Wisconsin kid can’t even be a Wisconsin kid, then what is the point? Henry Ellenson, different example, same problem.

The Hausers got plenty of shots in our system. Were they open a couple times waving their hands? Yep. Tough break.

What is dog crap is a brother tandem not even talented enough to be sure-fire NBA draft picks leaving on a preSeason top5 team most likely over showcasing issues.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
The team will be more cohesive next year and Bailey and Cain will do a great job replacing the Hausers.
Amen.
Hallelujah.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »

5) Greg Gard woke up this morning and saw a goat, vis a vi recruiting in the State of Wisconsin. He'll go to bed seeing a stallion. Marquette's chances with the best in the state just went to 0. The best in the state are now either going out of state or to Bucky. And if the Hausers are successful at Bucky, maybe we should move the university to Michigan or Illinois!

Disagree. This is not gonna effect where most Wisconsin players go. Why would Johnson, Foster, Baldwin, etc., be affected by this.

Rarely do highly ranked Wisconsin players stay in-state anyway - especially to Marquette.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
..... and there will be peace in the Middle East!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »

And herein lies the problem.

I guarantee you that Wojo recruited the Hauser bros. thinking they would do whatever it takes to win. Not the mindset he got. If a Wisconsin kid can’t even be a Wisconsin kid, then what is the point? Henry Ellenson, different example, same problem.

The Hausers got plenty of shots in our system. Were they open a couple times waving their hands? Yep. Tough break.

What is dog crap is a brother tandem not even talented enough to be sure-fire NBA draft picks leaving on a preSeason top5 team most likely over showcasing issues.

What does the first quote have to do with the second?

Like, at all.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
Who fills the gaps?  Johnson, Sibley, Foster and/or Baldwin.

My conspiracy theory:  a couple of these guys verbaled to Wojo, Wojo sat down with Joey and told him his role would be changing, and Joey ran off in a huff back to Stevens Point to boo-hoo to brother Sam and daddy.

I know, it's a fantastic story that I just dreamed up, but....
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »
What does the first quote have to do with the second?

Like, at all.

Sorry you didn’t get my point, which was that Wisconsin kids used to be focused first and foremost on doing whatever it takes, within a coach’s vision, to win.....and that is what made them highly appealing recruiting targets to college coaches, especially if the player had bonafide or even borderline next-level skills. The best part is that they come with pre-taught fundamentals and really high-level skills.

Now, many many WI kids seem to think they are NBA talents-in-waiting and they’re losing their essence. I can see when a big man like Henry has such a unique skill-set that he can dribble the length of the floor at his height. Yeah, that’s a special, although much more common today, skill-set. When a couple slow as molasses spot up shooters decide that they’re not being featured enough on a preseason top5 team? That’s a departure from why they were recruited, not to mention an example of quitting on their team.
If you think a couple of the true NBA-bound studs in the 2020 WI HS recruiting class won’t consider us now, that’s just garbage. I think they’d be more likely to consider us now.

feedback