Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Raleigh Talk Radio  (Read 38752 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Raleigh Talk Radio
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
Tulane tied first with University of Chicago decision to leave the Big Ten shortly after Jay Betwanger won the first Heisman trophy.
Hermeneutics...

Congrats. I hear Trumpy wants to nominate you to the Board of the Federal Reserve.
I know you like an easy, simplified tax code...to go with that, please no more quantitative easing.  Remember, Woodrow Wilson was in-over-his-head at Jekkyl Island. Jamil Wilson was the true gold standard, even if he did Hyde in big games other than Davidson.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
I can't believe all these wussies are giving up smoking cigarettes.

Almost spit out my high fat content ice cream when I read this.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2019, 09:26:07 PM »
Listening to "The Fan" today down here in Raleigh and they are claiming the top 3 candidates for the open Va Tech job are Willard, Wojo and Cronin......

IMO, Buzz's situation was a bizarre one, not the norm.  I would be shocked if Wojo left for Va Tech, but if it did happen, I'd have to admit that the Big East (sans Villanova) is nothing more than a stepping stone conference and Marquette is nothing more than a power 5 stepping stone job.  Can't believe the league has fallen off that far since the split.....SMH.......

Hopeful that Wojo understands the importance of consistency in a program and stays here for a long, long time.  While he has a long way to go to becoming a top coach, he has done good things at MU and I believe he will only get better.  It'd be devastating to lose him now.
The Holtmann and Mack hires demonstrate  the strength of The Big East . Ohio State and Louisville are ultra premium jobs. To have both filled by Big East coaches is impressive. I am down here in the epicenter of ACC territory and Understand the ACC is the center of the universe media mind set. However it is interesting to note that no ACC coach ( outside K and Roy)was seriously considered for Louisville and Ohio State .

Your point about consistency is excellent. Wojo needs to stay in place and make the most of Marquette’s assets .  As much as I thought  Wojo was a d#$&ck at Duke, I believe he is doing well for Marquette. He is doing a great job getting the MU name out there in recruiting . The Marquette program can now consistently make the tournament . The consistency will ultimately yield tournament success.
UNC Grad MU Fan

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »
I am sure I will sound contradictory, but in now way has the Big East fallen off since the split. The first year was the weak year of doubt, and thankfully having a national player of the year in McDermott got us through.

Since these the Big East has been either 2nd or 3rd every year until this year - a predictable rebuilding year that every one saw coming. The only thing that upset me this year was that it was the year to get a regular season banner on the wall because everyone else was so young, but Marquette is the best team heading into next year especially with Nova being even younger.

But at the same time, as far as resources the Big East cannot match the Power 5 because they make a gazillon dollars on football so if the school decides they really want to outbid a big east team for a coach they can - the coach may stay out of loyality or liking to be at a basketball school, but if they are looking for the biggest bucks they can be pulled away.

Overall though, i am ecstatic about how well the Big East has done since the separation.

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
Your point about consistency is excellent. Wojo needs to stay in place and make the most of Marquette’s assets .  As much as I thought  Wojo was a d#$&ck at Duke, I believe he is doing well for Marquette. He is doing a great job getting the MU name out there in recruiting . The Marquette program can now consistently make the tournament . The consistency will ultimately yield tournament success.

Come on now, do you really think the consistency argument works? Consider the facts:

It is really hard to not fire a coach until after 5 years that start with a miserable first three years at 38-47, then in the two tournaments he does make in his first five years bombs and is upset by an 11-seed one year, then in his 5th season when he is supposed to have a really good team gets upset in his first game to choke again - No Sweet 16s in his first 5 years - we need to stop buying tickets so we can run this guy out of town and start winning.

Oh I'm sorry, that was Coach Ks first 5 years at Duke not Wojo's first five years. If only the idiots who want Wojo out could have been their in the 80s to threaten to stop buying Duke season tickets unless Coach K was fired, then maybe some new people could have gotten season tickets!

Sorry I couldn't use teal to give away that I wasn't serious until the punch line. And I only mean idiots in a loving group way, and not directing it at any specific person.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:55:25 PM by Marquetteauburn »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
That's because mommy's don't want little Billy playing football..they'd rather they play something like..soccer. It's the wussification of America in full effect. Also, kids these days don't want to work real hard..football you do..they'd much rather play video games.

Really?

I suggest you go watch a high school swimming practice or tennis practice. You'd get exhausted just watching it.

What a bunch of morons and wusses ... they don't want to suffer multiple concussions. And they call themselves 'Mericans!

This is one of your top 10 most ridiculous posts, and that's saying something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2019, 10:04:11 PM »
I gotta say, Guru hating on soccer surprised me a little bit.  I mean, have you seen the "competitiveness" of the fans.  Only sport in the world where you have to move games across oceans because the fans won't stop rioting against each other.  I would have thought that'd be right up his alley.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:06:22 PM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
Really?

I suggest you go watch a high school swimming practice or tennis practice. You'd get exhausted just watching it.

What a bunch of morons and wusses ... they don't want to suffer multiple concussions. And they call themselves 'Mericans!

This is one of your top 10 most ridiculous posts, and that's saying something.

Water polo and lacrosse are even more intense workouts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »
Water polo and lacrosse are even more intense workouts.

Great point. I refereed lacrosse one year and it was effen intense. Those guys go at it. Definitely more activity than football, and just about as violent.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »
Come on now, do you really think the consistency argument works? Consider the facts:

It is really hard to not fire a coach until after 5 years that start with a miserable first three years at 38-47, then in the two tournaments he does make in his first five years bombs and is upset by an 11-seed one year, then in his 5th season when he is supposed to have a really good team gets upset in his first game to choke again - No Sweet 16s in his first 5 years - we need to stop buying tickets so we can run this guy out of town and start winning.

Oh I'm sorry, that was Coach Ks first 5 years at Duke not Wojo's first five years. If only the idiots who want Wojo out could have been their in the 80s to threaten to stop buying Duke season tickets unless Coach K was fired, then maybe some new people could have gotten season tickets!

Sorry I couldn't use teal to give away that I wasn't serious until the punch line. And I only mean idiots in a loving group way, and not directing it at any specific person.

Coach K won his first round game in his fifth year, but lost the second round game.  He went 1-2 in the NCAA in his first five years.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »
That is a straw man ... the old Big East was the best ever but broke up because of football money.  Basketball had nothing to do with it.

About the teams that went to the ACC - Cuse, Pitt, 'Ville and ND ... did they get better or worse?  I would argue worse.  Pitt is a disaster, Cuse is down, ND is invisible and 'Ville has to vacate every success they have had post BE.

Going to the ACC did nothing for their basketball success (but has been huge in getting more football money).

My point is you vastly overstate the importance of a conference.  A conference is really about making 50% of your schedule easy and getting a TV contract.  As you noted, Gonzaga has been an elite team without a "power" conference.

Conference affiliation is not that important when it comes to basketball winning percentages.

And don't forget the tremendous success BC has experienced there.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »
My point is you vastly overstate the importance of a conference.  A conference is really about making 50% of your schedule easy and getting a TV contract.  As you noted, Gonzaga has been an elite team without a "power" conference.

Conference affiliation is not that important when it comes to basketball winning percentages.

I agree with this to some extent.  Conferences = money, raising the cost for good teams in lesser conferences to compete.  The beauty of bball is that you don't need a ton of money to compete (low # of players, low capital cost, etc) -- allowing David to slay Goliath. 

But, what seems to be happening is that mediocre P5+ teams are starting to spend -- raising the cost of getting & keeping a good coach.  This will put pressure on this dynamic....reduce competition in the lower conferences.  I personally think the SEC's recent spending spree is an example of this.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
The Holtmann and Mack hires demonstrate  the strength of The Big East . Ohio State and Louisville are ultra premium jobs. To have both filled by Big East coaches is impressive. I am down here in the epicenter of ACC territory and Understand the ACC is the center of the universe media mind set. However it is interesting to note that no ACC coach ( outside K and Roy)was seriously considered for Louisville and Ohio State .

Or perhaps no ACC coach wanted to consider Louisville or Ohio State. Why would anyone want to leave the ACC if it is considered the best hoops conference? If you are at the bottom of the league it would be highly unlikely either school you mentioned would be interested.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »
That's because mommy's don't want little Billy playing football..they'd rather they play something like..soccer. It's the wussification of America in full effect. Also, kids these days don't want to work real hard..football you do..they'd much rather play video games.

Actually high school sports participation have seen increases for almost thirty years now.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-28th-straight-year-nears-8-million-mark/

Furthermore, the idea that the only sport in which kids work hard is football is absolutely absurd.  Ever participate in a varsity cross country or swimming practice?  And soccer?  Those sports are every bit as physically demanding as football.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »
Or perhaps no ACC coach wanted to consider Louisville or Ohio State. Why would anyone want to leave the ACC if it is considered the best hoops conference? If you are at the bottom of the league it would be highly unlikely either school you mentioned would be interested.

You do realize that Louisville is in the ACC right?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »
You do realize that Louisville is in the ACC right?

yes sir. did not articulate my point well. i guess i assumed that normally coaches don't move within the league. sorry about that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »
Why would anyone want to leave the ACC if it is considered the best hoops conference?

Dunno. Ask Buzz.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2019, 05:46:58 PM »

Actually high school sports participation have seen increases for almost thirty years now.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-28th-straight-year-nears-8-million-mark/

Furthermore, the idea that the only sport in which kids work hard is football is absolutely absurd.  Ever participate in a varsity cross country or swimming practice?  And soccer?  Those sports are every bit as physically demanding as football.

I think he mentioned football in particular when speaking about decreasing participation. Nearing a drop of 100,000 participants since 2008.

As far as working hard in other sports, you are spot on.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2019, 02:38:06 AM »

This statement is a joke. Football is the most overrated sport in terms of how much work you actually put in. I saw a study once that showed the QB actually plays a total of about 8 minutes plus the team gets a rest every 10 seconds. Compare that to say soccer where you're actually running the entire time.

Your wussification idea is stuck from when you were busy taping Larry Lester's butt cheeks together. Had you gone to a school with contact sports where you need an ounce of athletic ability you'd realize how far down on the totem poll football is
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »
I've re-read guru's post a couple of times, and now I think he just didn't use teal.

It is so ridiculous that I think he "got us" with it.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
I've re-read guru's post a couple of times, and now I think he just didn't use teal.

You must’ve missed gurus April fools day post. Guru don’t do jokes
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
You must’ve missed gurus April fools day post. Guru don’t do jokes

As y'all know, I'm an optimist!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »

Nope, didn't get you at all...I said what I said, and I meant what I meant. HS football #'s are way down, at least here in Wisconsin(don't know about other states). Programs have had to cancel seasons for lack of #'s. I have heard/seen/read comments multiple times through the years that Mommy's in particular won't let little Johnny play football. They are deathly afraid of little Johnny getting hurt...So, little Johnny goes and plays soccer...the epitome of "non contact" sport. A lot less likely you get hurt playing soccer than you do football.

Kids also quit football at the beginning of the year, all the time, make it through a practice or two and that's it. Why?? because it's too hard, they simply don't want to work that hard. Now they may not go play soccer either, because that too requires an effort. However, playing video games does not require that much effort in reality.

Sure, soccer players have to have mega endurance because of all the running they do chasing after that ball...I can see how that would wear you out, I mean it wears me out to the point where if I ever watch even a minute of it, I fall asleep..from...exhaustion, okay, well boredom, but you get my point. In what world is soccer anywhere close to the having the amount of physical contact that football does?? Therefore, injuries are far more likely(especially serious ones), in football then in soccer. That is not even close to debatable. Hence why Mommy's don't want their boys playing football..too afraid of them getting hurt. A lot Kids just aren't tough enough these days...reality.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
Nope, didn't get you at all...I said what I said, and I meant what I meant. HS football #'s are way down, at least here in Wisconsin(don't know about other states). Programs have had to cancel seasons for lack of #'s. I have heard/seen/read comments multiple times through the years that Mommy's in particular won't let little Johnny play football. They are deathly afraid of little Johnny getting hurt...So, little Johnny goes and plays soccer...the epitome of "non contact" sport. A lot less likely you get hurt playing soccer than you do football.

Kids also quit football at the beginning of the year, all the time, make it through a practice or two and that's it. Why?? because it's too hard, they simply don't want to work that hard. Now they may not go play soccer either, because that too requires an effort. However, playing video games does not require that much effort in reality.

Sure, soccer players have to have mega endurance because of all the running they do chasing after that ball...I can see how that would wear you out, I mean it wears me out to the point where if I ever watch even a minute of it, I fall asleep..from...exhaustion, okay, well boredom, but you get my point. In what world is soccer anywhere close to the having the amount of physical contact that football does?? Therefore, injuries are far more likely(especially serious ones), in football then in soccer. That is not even close to debatable. Hence why Mommy's don't want their boys playing football..too afraid of them getting hurt. A lot Kids just aren't tough enough these days...reality.
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »

Did you play high school football?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow