collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Food  (Read 24266 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Marquette Food
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
Need a little refresher on some of the more popular food places/items at MU over the years...

Real Chili obviously.
Wales on Wells cheddar fries and double cheddar burgers also immediately come to mind. After that they all start to run together.

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Marquette Food
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
The Dogg Haus on the corner of 17th and Wells has pretty good Vienna beef hot dogs. Speaking of Real Chili, got some last night...delicious!

otherwise there's always Jimmy Johns on Wells by campus and any number of places on Water including Buffalo Wild Wings.

benfrankly

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »
sobelman's.

and then there's sobelman's.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
Marquette Gyros.  Good greasy food.  Though imo, for some reason Oakland Gyros on UWM's campus is better.

George Webb, another place you never go for dinner but stumble in to at 2 am. 

Angelo's.  Especially popular among freshmen.

Ziggy's.  People either love it or want to call the health department on them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
Honestly, outside Chili and Sobelman's there is nothing special on campus.

Webb's, Jimmy John's, Cousin's, and Subway are all there. Nothing great.

Marquette Gyros and Ziggy's are ridiculously overpriced. Food is mediocre at best. Ziggy actually has the better Gyro.

China Garden, don't bother. Everyone orders Chopstix from the Eastside.

Going off campus is the best bet for some good food.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »
No one mentioned the McDonald's on 25th and Wisconsin.  Mmm.  Just a block from West, I remember $2.05 would get you two cheeseburgers and a small fry.  1988 dollars, of course.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:13:20 PM »
No one mentioned the McDonald's on 25th and Wisconsin.  Mmm.  Just a block from West, I remember $2.05 would get you two cheeseburgers and a small fry.  1988 dollars, of course.

That McDonald's is so poor in quality, even in McDonald's standards.

If we are talking about that far out what about the Golden Chicken across the the US Bank on 26th?
Michael's Family Restaurant?
The Taco Bell is pretty solid.
KFC on 27th and Michigan closed.
Wendy's on 27th and State is always a experience.
No Burger King's near campus. Sad.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »
Golden Chicken.  Now that was a scary place.  You could get your chicken and pick up a prostitute all in one go.

How about the Arthur Treatures Fish & Chips on 27th?  Hah.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
Wow, dod this not go the way I was hoping it would. Jimmy John's? Cousins? McDonalds? Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. Frankly< I give a rip what's there today, because there is nothing there worth mentioning. I am more interested in what was there - what was good back in the day.

Anyone else ever get the feeling you are the oldest person who comes here?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »

Hilltopper, I heard there was a dorm @ 27th and Wisconsin, I don't mean to make you feel old, but when was that? Was it as unbecoming of a college campus as it is now? I can hardly  believe that now, I always joked how they should put a freshmen dorm @ 27th and wisc. b/c it would give them character and they would learn the area, but i wasn't serious.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »
Yup.  It was called simply "West Hall" because it was so far west.  It was a former hotel, with a pool on the rooftop.  It really wasn't a bad dorm, decent rooms, a bunch of giant quad rooms, nice ballroom, study rooms, decent cafe.  They stopped putting kids there in the mid-90s and tore the building down 3-4 years ago.

There was a shuttle bus that ran every 20 minutes down Wisconsin .. honestly, the commute to West was easier than any other dorm.  Just had to time the bus right, and it'd drop you anywhere between 12th-16th in a matter of minutes.

The neighborhood was crappy, no doubt.  There were frequent prostitutes hanging right across the street.  But there was a tight community aura at West, since we were so far off campus.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:45:25 AM »
My wife (who lived at West) and I still marvel at the fact that MU chose to put 18-20 year old girls in that place at a time when the crime at/around MU was as bad as it has ever been.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:24:27 AM »
Nothing can top the chimichanga's at Amigos.  They had the best sour cream on the face of the planet.  I think they laced it with some of the cocaine that there were running out of the back.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »
I still miss Super China. Such a great buffet.

Also Jose's up on Kilbourn (?) and 20th - home of the burita! I loved how he named them each burita after a team in the NFC Central. So good.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03:01 PM »
Miss Katie's Diner.
Dogg Haus.

Pardner

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »
Ham 'n Egger
Suburpia (one across from the Gym and one by Schroeder)
Cousins (before being franchised)
Chile Gene's (Real Chili knock-off by the Lanche.  I think the Wales on Wells guy owned it)
Irish Baker (?) on Wisconsin east of the Marquette interchange--served a meal on a baked potato. 
Wasn't there a Shakey's Pizza around 20th and Wisconsin
What was the name of the breakfast place in the Valley? Served an omelet called the "Kitchen Sink"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 01:19:19 PM »
Oooooo...I just remembered Chicago's. Boss Burger, Cheesy Beef...Good, good stuff.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »

Anyone else ever get the feeling you are the oldest person who comes here?

way too often!

I_miss_ASMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
I am SHOCKED and AMAZED that nobody has brought up the BEST pizza place EVER!  I think it was called Gullianos, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong!), and it was on Wells between 16th and 17th, on the same side as Amigos.  To this day I miss the pizza there.  They had great sauce, nice and spicy, and really fresh crust.  We never ordered pizza from anywhere else, and they were quick to give you a beer no matter what age you were (circa 1987).  We went there a lot because of this our freshman year.  I have to agree - some other good ones were Wales (I worked there for a while), Amigos (not my favorite food, but the women loved it- more than enough reason to visit), the diner on what, 23rd & Wisconsin (someone mentioned the name and I forget it offhand).  And what about IHOP?  That was a great place to get breakfast at all hours of the day.  I remember reading a story at one time about a huge guy that walked in and stole the cash register - just tore it right out of the counter!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »
Saz's in Miller Valley

Leon's over on 27th(?)

Grebe's bakery (used to be across from the Gesu). Loved them cheese danishes. I tried finding one when I went back. Did they go out of business?

The Annex. Ah, no.

Pizza Joe's. DAMN good wings. Then became Pizza Pi's or something like that.

Philly Cheesesteak Shop. People didn't like it...I loved it.

That short-lived barbecue joint in Campustown. One of the best bbq sauces and smoked ribs. I still can taste it in my mouth. Their red beans and pork, too.
SS Marquette

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
Louie D's.

Saturday night, 2:00 am, drunk and in need of food, best place on campus.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 08:55:59 PM »
Louie D's.

Saturday night, 2:00 am, drunk and in need of food, best place on campus.

They also had the $1.25 cheeseburgers during the day.
But I like to throw handfuls...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
Grebe's bakery (used to be across from the Gesu). Loved them cheese danishes. I tried finding one when I went back. Did they go out of business?

There's still one around.  They had stores in South Milwaukee and downtown but I think both of those are gone.  But the main one in West Allis is still there.  Plus they sell their stuff at Sentry, Piggly Wiggly and other grocery stores, and I think I've even seen it gas stations. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:39:26 PM by bma725 »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27:17 AM »
PTM-

I had the same issue with Burger King... but I found one just a lil farther away. There is one on 35th a couple blocks north of highland.

Also a new favorite of mine that I recently found is the Philly Way... its on 2nd and Florida so you won't want to walk it but it has the best cheesesteak I have ever had outside of Philly

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
Guilianis was great - not so much for the pizza, but b/c you could get a 24 inch pizza for about $10.  It seemed that a couple of guys would get one every night at my floor at Schroeder and then throw the greasy cardboards the pizza came on like frisbees threw the dorm. 
I mourn for Chicago's - those were great burgers.  I must have liked Marquette Gyros more than anyone else.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson