[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Rules Question  (Read 2770 times)

Benny B

• All American
Baseball Rules Question
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »
So I believe the general rule is that if a fielder leaves the field of play (e.g. falls into the dugout, goes over the wall) in the process of making a catch on a batted ball, the ball is deemed to be out of the field of play (i.e. dead ball if foul or home run if fair) regardless of where initial contact was made with the ball.

Question my son asked is if the fielder exiting play catches the ball and tosses it to a teammate before going out of play, what would be the ruling?

Is it a deflection, i.e. an out?  Or does the fielder making the initial contact with the ball have to maintain/reestablish position in the field of play?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Baseball Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
So I believe the general rule is that if a fielder leaves the field of play (e.g. falls into the dugout, goes over the wall) in the process of making a catch on a batted ball, the ball is deemed to be out of the field of play (i.e. dead ball if foul or home run if fair) regardless of where initial contact was made with the ball.

Question my son asked is if the fielder exiting play catches the ball and tosses it to a teammate before going out of play, what would be the ruling?

Is it a deflection, i.e. an out?  Or does the fielder making the initial contact with the ball have to maintain/reestablish position in the field of play?

If I’m understanding you correctly I think you have it wrong. If a fielder catches a ball and flips into the stands/dugout/bullpen it’s an out (as long as he maintains control of the ball). Thinking about it now, what I don’t think I’ve really ever seen is this happen in a situation where a tagup is available. I assume it’s just still live/in play and the fielder has to just get the ball back into play if there’s less than 2 outs and a runner on, but honestly not certain on that because I can’t think of a time I’ve seen that situation.

Austin Jackson has one of the greatest catches ever falling into the Red Sox bullpen.

https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-nlcs-2018-65K9uu1VSHixVxaE6Q

There was also the Jeter catch-it-30-yards-from-the-stands-and-don’t-stop-running-what-a-freaking-competitor catch too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:48:00 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »
If I’m understanding you correctly I think you have it wrong. If a fielder catches a ball and flips into the stands/dugout/bullpen it’s an out (as long as he maintains control of the ball). Thinking about it now, what I don’t think I’ve really ever seen is this happen in a situation where a tagup is available. I assume it’s just still live/in play and the fielder has to just get the ball back into play if there’s less than 2 outs and a runner on, but honestly not certain on that because I can’t think of a time I’ve seen that situation.

Austin Jackson has one of the greatest catches ever falling into the Red Sox bullpen.

https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-nlcs-2018-65K9uu1VSHixVxaE6Q

There was also the Jeter catch-it-30-yards-from-the-stands-and-don’t-stop-running-what-a-freaking-competitor catch too.

That is my understanding as well, Wades.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
I should clarify... by “leaves the field of play in the process of making a catch” I mean that the fielder does not have a foot in contact with the ground when the catch was made and does not reestablish position in the field of play before exiting the field. 

If a runner is still in contact with the field of play when making the catch, and then falls out of play, yes... that’s  an out.

Edit: Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should step or fall into any out-of-play area, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder entered such out-of-play area.

So I was off in my understanding since it is an out - assuming the fielder didn’t go out of play before making the catch, of course; however with less than two outs it’s also a dead ball with one base advance whether fair or foul.  So the question remains, if the field who makes the legal catch flips the ball to a teammate before going out-of-play, is that still a live ball?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:21:28 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »

Caught it 2 steps in fair territory yet still needed to flying leap into the stands  ;D

Up there with the flip play as good plays that no less than 10 current MLB shortstops make with ease, yet are talked about in hushed tones like they were other worldly.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »
Different rule question ..

Peewee little league situation:  Runners at 1st and 3rd, no outs.  Batter hits a grounder, runner at 3rd goes home, runner at 1st going to 2nd gets hit by the ball.

Batter takes 1st.  Hit runner going to 2nd is out.  Does the runner at 3rd score?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »
I should clarify... by “leaves the field of play in the process of making a catch” I mean that the fielder does not have a foot in contact with the ground when the catch was made and does not reestablish position in the field of play before exiting the field. 

If a runner is still in contact with the field of play when making the catch, and then falls out of play, yes... that’s  an out.

Edit: Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should step or fall into any out-of-play area, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder entered such out-of-play area.

So I was off in my understanding since it is an out - assuming the fielder didn’t go out of play before making the catch, of course; however with less than two outs it’s also a dead ball with one base advance whether fair or foul.  So the question remains, if the field who makes the legal catch flips the ball to a teammate before going out-of-play, is that still a live ball?

Interesting.  Did not realize the ball was dead and baserunners get 1 base after that.  I would think if the fielder flips the ball to another fielder, who makes the catch, it would be a live ball and the batter is out on the catch, but don't honestly know.

Peewee little league situation:  Runners at 1st and 3rd, no outs.  Batter hits a grounder, runner at 3rd goes home, runner at 1st going to 2nd gets hit by the ball.

Batter takes 1st.  Hit runner going to 2nd is out.  Does the runner at 3rd score?

I would think the runner on 3rd would go back to 3rd, but again not positive on that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24:07 AM »
Caught it 2 steps in fair territory yet still needed to flying leap into the stands  ;D

Up there with the flip play as good plays that no less than 10 current MLB shortstops make with ease, yet are talked about in hushed tones like they were other worldly.

Exactly.  We had a better play than the "flip" play in intramural softball back at MU.  Had the lead, other team was making a run and had momentum, kid hit a laser deep into the outfield, their team is going nuts as he's rounding third, of course your worst fielder is behind the plate because all he does is catch a rolling ball and throw it back to the pitcher.  Cutoff man throws a laser into home, everyone knows there's no way our catcher is making the catch and applying a tag...until our first baseman comes screaming in out of nowhere to cut in front of the catcher and slap a tag on the guy for an out.  Hilarious momentum change.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »

Wish I had my rule book with me.  It depends on if it's a delayed dead ball or immediate dead ball.  I think it's delayed dead, in which case the run counts.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »

Runner does not score.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »
Wish I had my rule book with me.  It depends on if it's a delayed dead ball or immediate dead ball.  I think it's delayed dead, in which case the run counts.

Nope.  Immediate dead ball.  Batter gets first.  All other runners go back unless forced.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
Any offensive interference is an immediate dead ball. Defensive obstruction is delayed.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
Is the foul poll in fair territory?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
Runner does not score.
Agreed.  Runner on third goes back to third. One out again, with runners at the corners.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »
Any offensive interference is an immediate dead ball. Defensive obstruction is delayed.

Not quite.  I had to double check this myself. Interference by the batter while the fielders (probably the catcher) are making a play is delayed dead ball. 

Ex. Double steal.  Catcher throws to second, gets interfered with, but makes the out anyway.  The ball is live, and they could throw to third or home to get the other runner.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
Not quite.  I had to double check this myself. Interference by the batter while the fielders (probably the catcher) are making a play is delayed dead ball. 

Ex. Double steal.  Catcher throws to second, gets interfered with, but makes the out anyway.  The ball is live, and they could throw to third or home to get the other runner.
In that situation I believe the batter would be out and the runners sent back to their original base.

feedback