[Today at 12:26:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Five Years To Judge  (Read 4213 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Five Years To Judge
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
On April 1, 2014, Wojciechowski was hired as the new Marquette head basketball coach, replacing Buzz Williams, who left for Virginia Tech.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wojciechowski
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Five Years To Judge
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
Hard to believe it's been 5 years already. For better and for worse.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »
In his first 5 years, Coach K was 73 - 59 and fans were hanging him in efegy

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »
In his first 5 years, Coach K was 73 - 59 and fans were hanging him in efegy
Please.. stop the implied comparison between Wojo and K. Wojo was only kept around at Duke to ensure K's shoes had a high sheen on them.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »
Please.. stop the implied comparison between Wojo and K. Wojo was only kept around at Duke to ensure K's shoes had a high sheen on them.
It doesn't really matter.  Duke's prowess, K's recruiting ability, allow the team to consistently hang around the Top 10.  However, K has been to 2 Final Fours in the last 15 years.  FIFTEEN YEARS.  With the talent that consistently comes through Duke, it seems that number should be much higher.  Especially this year.  And we got the ultra-discount Roundy's brand K...

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
It doesn't really matter.  Duke's prowess, K's recruiting ability, allow the team to consistently hang around the Top 10.  However, K has been to 2 Final Fours in the last 15 years.  FIFTEEN YEARS.  With the talent that consistently comes through Duke, it seems that number should be much higher.  Especially this year.  And we got the ultra-discount Roundy's brand K...

You left out he won two national championships in those 15 years. And 3 final fours in 16 years and his next final four will be the most by any coach. The message there is a final four isn’t an every other year thing for the blue bloods either.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »
You left out he won two national championships in those 15 years. And 3 final fours in 16 years and his next final four will be the most by any coach. The message there is a final four isn’t an every other year thing for the blue bloods either.

Yep.

Oh my god - only 2 Championships in the last 15 years. The horror!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »

Why "especially this year?"  When you have nobody who can shoot the ball chances are you aren't winning a title.  I think I heard a stat somewhere that Duke would've been the worst 3 point shooting team in modern basketball to win a national title this year had they done so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »
Why "especially this year?"  When you have nobody who can shoot the ball chances are you aren't winning a title.  I think I heard a stat somewhere that Duke would've been the worst 3 point shooting team in modern basketball to win a national title this year had they done so.

Well, that is the coach's fault, no? He is the talent procurer.

Not kicking K at all. One of the great coaches ever, obviously. Just throwing that out there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
I remember his introductory news conference like it was yesterday.  I remember Todd looking absolutely disinterested in the background as Wojo spoke, and having all of the players in the background was an odd look.  Wojo's introduction and Buzz's intro at VT just days earlier were like two completely different productions.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 06:27:01 PM »
I remember his introductory news conference like it was yesterday.  I remember Todd looking absolutely disinterested in the background as Wojo spoke, and having all of the players in the background was an odd look.  Wojo's introduction and Buzz's intro at VT just days earlier were like two completely different productions.

Todd knew the free ride was over.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
Well, that is the coach's fault, no? He is the talent procurer.

Not kicking K at all. One of the great coaches ever, obviously. Just throwing that out there.

Yes, but everyone acted like Duke was some all time great team with an all time great recruiting class (see: "especially this year") when it was very clear from very early on that Duke could not shoot the rock...the, by far, most important aspect of basketball today.  Duke was a very good team for the 2018-2019 college basketball season, but they were one of the most overhyped teams I can remember as a college basketball fan.  All the talk about Duke being an all time great team, this being the best Duke team ever, this being the best recruiting class ever, etc. was insanely overblown.  Sure they could have 3 top 5 draft picks...in a terrible draft class past about #2.

Give me Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Orton over this class any day.  Easily Odon, Conley, Cook, and Lighty too.  Felton, McCants, and May.  It's not even K's best class in the last half decade.  I'd take Okafor, Tyus Jones, Allen, and Winslow well over this class.  KAT, Lyles, Booker, Ulis.  No doubt the Fab Five.  Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy.

Obviously this isn't Coach K's best coaching job ever.  But people act like this is a catastrophically bad coaching job, a can't miss national championship team.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 06:57:45 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »
Yes, but everyone acted like Duke was some all time great team with an all time great recruiting class (see: "especially this year") when it was very clear from very early on that Duke could not shoot the rock...the, by far, most important aspect of basketball today.  Duke was a very good team for the 2018-2019 college basketball season, but they were one of the most overhyped teams I can remember as a college basketball fan.  All the talk about Duke being an all time great team, this being the best Duke team ever, this being the best recruiting class ever, etc. was insanely overblown.  Sure they could have 3 top 5 draft picks...in a terrible draft class past about #2.

Give me Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Orton over this class any day.  Easily Odon, Conley, Cook, and Lighty too.  Felton, McCants, and May.  It's not even K's best class in the last half decade.  I'd take Okafor, Tyus Jones, Allen, and Winslow well over this class.  KAT, Lyles, Booker, Ulis.  No doubt the Fab Five.  Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy.

Obviously this isn't Coach K's best coaching job ever.  But people act like this is a catastrophically bad coaching job, a can't miss national championship team.

All reasonable. I thought they'd have just enough shooting to win but I was wrong. I certainly didn't consider them anything close to an all-time best team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »
Ok sure, three point shooting.  They had Zion, Barrett, and Reddish and BARELY made it out of the Round of 32.  Zion is pretty clearly one of the most dominant college players of all time.  It genuinely seemed like their whole gameplan (if we're agreeing they had one) was to give Zion the ball and let him go 1v5 to the bucket.  Eerily similar to Wojo's treatment of Markus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
Ok sure, three point shooting.  They had Zion, Barrett, and Reddish and BARELY made it out of the Round of 32.  Zion is pretty clearly one of the most dominant college players of all time.  It genuinely seemed like their whole gameplan (if we're agreeing they had one) was to give Zion the ball and let him go 1v5 to the bucket.  Eerily similar to Wojo's treatment of Markus.

Well it was either that or if the ball got to RJ's hands it was going to be RJ going 1 on 5, so I'll take my chances with Zion doing it over RJ.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
  " Duke was a very good team for the 2018-2019 college basketball season, but they were one of the most overhyped teams I can remember as a college basketball fan."

these guys and gonzaga-had  the zags losing right where they did.  because they beat duke at the maui-wowie, they were over-hyped as well, imho
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »

The most any school has in the last 15 years is four (Louisville had more, but vacated three of them for cheating).  It isn't easy to get there.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 03:33:23 AM »
The most any school has in the last 15 years is four (Louisville had more, but vacated three of them for cheating).  It isn't easy to get there.

In the last 15 years UNC has been to 5 Final Fours and won 3 championships.

In that same time period Kansas 3 (1NC), UCLA 3, Kentucky 4 (1NC), Duke 2 (3 if not counting this season yet)(2NC), Arizona 0, UConn 2 (3 if not counting this year)(2 or 3NC), Syracuse 2, Indiana 0, Michigan State 4 (5 counting this year), Villanova 3 (2NC)

So while a Final Four is not a given, to be considered a top program you should be going every 5 years or so.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 05:13:18 AM »
Is this a Wojo or Coach K thread?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 06:36:12 AM »
Is this a Wojo or Coach K thread?

It’s neither. It’s the worst thread of all..... completely unnecessary!!!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »

In that same time period Kansas 3 (1NC), UCLA 3, Kentucky 4 (1NC), Duke 2 (3 if not counting this season yet)(2NC), Arizona 0, UConn 2 (3 if not counting this year)(2 or 3NC), Syracuse 2, Indiana 0, Michigan State 4 (5 counting this year), Villanova 3 (2NC)

So while a Final Four is not a given, to be considered a top program you should be going every 5 years or so.

And then your recruiting pitch is if you stay all four years you have a good chance of playing in a FF.  Or you leave early and get paid by the league.

When you can say this, and back it up with a track record, then you become an elite program.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
And then your recruiting pitch is if you stay all four years you have a good chance of playing in a FF.  Or you leave early and get paid by the league.

When you can say this, and back it up with a track record, then you become an elite program.
Hmmmm...We have a fair ways to go.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 08:51:19 AM »
Aren't there more interesting topics beyond rehashing this argument for the millionth time.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »

I missed UNC, thought it was 4.  You are correct.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback