Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 11:15:59 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Almost 42 years ago......for you youngsters...this also happened  (Read 4303 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xqoQ9VcR2lI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xqoQ9VcR2lI</a>
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Almost 42 years ago......for you youngsters...this also happened
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »
Still provides a chill.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 07:56:28 PM »
How good would that returning underclass group grade out today? I’d take that returning crew over what is returning next season.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
How good would that returning underclass group grade out today? I’d take that returning crew over what is returning next season.

Yes, of course.  That was the short period of time we were elite.  But even so, lost in the first round the next year.  Happens.  Sucks, but it happens.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:57 PM »
Cheeks

We did not have a returning HC. Plus, you know better than saying something as foolish as a short period of time. Come on, you do not always have to have an arguing point. You can get away with crazy talk with me because I believe you know your stuff and believe you are a good man. But, seriously?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
Cheeks

We did not have a returning HC. Plus, you know better than saying something as foolish as a short period of time. Come on, you do not always have to have an arguing point. You can get away with crazy talk with me because I believe you know your stuff and believe you are a good man. But, seriously?

Just my opinion Goose. We were amazingly great for a period of time.  We are good now, I hope we can get back to that level at some point. I think you and I both share that hope.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
Cheeks

This is Goose, not someone lacking knowledge on the topic. Is a decade plus a short period of time? A decade plus of never being out of the top ten?

If you want to debate stuff with guys who do not know their stuff, go at it. You have been around plenty of guys that know their stuff, use that knowledge to your advantage. Debating a decade plus of excellence is not debatable. As you know, I lived every game up close and personal, as others on here have, do not insult people that know their stuff.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
thanks for posting this. damn near brought a tear to my eye watching that again. Very special time for me watching that particular tournament every game with my pops. you are wrong though, MU was dominant for a long time back then not a short period of time. come on now, you don't always have to be selling, give it rest for a while.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »
I love how Al walked away from the timer's table and Butch tracked him down to
hug him.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:46:34 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
hairy

Some of my best memories in life is going to MU games with my folks. My parents did not attend college, but fell in love with MU in 1965 and was big part of our life ever since. I yell the same things at games that my Dad did, tear up at National Anthem like he did, three beers at every game like he did, thank God for the time with my folks every game and remember what that program meant to my folks.
My Dad was not a true sports fan for a lot of reasons, mainly because he was hard worker, but his love of that program lives in me. For the record, I might have teared up watching the video😀

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 08:46:59 PM »
hairy

Some of my best memories in life is going to MU games with my folks. My parents did not attend college, but fell in love with MU in 1965 and was big part of our life ever since. I yell the same things at games that my Dad did, tear up at National Anthem like he did, three beers at every game like he did, thank God for the time with my folks every game and remember what that program meant to my folks.
My Dad was not a true sports fan for a lot of reasons, mainly because he was hard worker, but his love of that program lives in me. For the record, I might have teared up watching the video😀
haha that's funny damn near ditto on all that above.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 08:48:01 PM »
hairy

I know you know your stuff. You should come next Meat Summit!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
hairy

Follow up on my Dad being a hard worker, he likely cringes every day with me posting on Scoop during the week day. Back in the day, many former Warriors were in his company on regular basis and he would have no clue who they were at work. Get to a game, he knew every guy on the court. I remember being at his office and Maurice Lucas was there and my Dad did not have a clue. Now, his idiot son is debating a decade of excellence with Chico’s when I should be working. What a world!!

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »
hairy

Follow up on my Dad being a hard worker, he likely cringes every day with me posting on Scoop during the week day. Back in the day, many former Warriors were in his company on regular basis and he would have no clue who they were at work. Get to a game, he knew every guy on the court. I remember being at his office and Maurice Lucas was there and my Dad did not have a clue. Now, his idiot son is debating a decade of excellence with Chico’s when I should be working. What a world!!

ok that made me laugh out loud my wife  just gave me a weird look

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
Being there, in person, during my final year at MU is a memory I will never forget. Yes, I stormed the court and own a string of the championship net, but, the euphoria of sitting on top of the college basketball world is truly special. I hope each and everyone of you will experience the same in your lifetime. Only then, will you realize the meaning of "seashells and balloons" as well as "going uptown."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
Doc

Amen.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 09:05:35 PM »
Al McGuire was and will always be MU basketball. Wojo possibly qualify as his waterboy. Nobody has come close to Al's level
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
And it wasn't Al's best team, a team that barely made the 32 team field-yes, a crapshoot

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 09:18:18 PM »
Alien
 Preseason #1.

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »
Thank you!!! I remember that day like it was yesterday.  Goosebumps!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 11:06:09 PM »
Cheeks

This is Goose, not someone lacking knowledge on the topic. Is a decade plus a short period of time? A decade plus of never being out of the top ten?

If you want to debate stuff with guys who do not know their stuff, go at it. You have been around plenty of guys that know their stuff, use that knowledge to your advantage. Debating a decade plus of excellence is not debatable. As you know, I lived every game up close and personal, as others on here have, do not insult people that know their stuff.

I was thinking the Al years...honestly no offense. Was not including Hank’s years.  I’m not sure why you were insulted, no intent.  Peace

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »
thanks for posting this. damn near brought a tear to my eye watching that again. Very special time for me watching that particular tournament every game with my pops. you are wrong though, MU was dominant for a long time back then not a short period of time. come on now, you don't always have to be selling, give it rest for a while.

You are welcome and I am glad all you guys had a trip down memory lane.  I was 8 years old, didn’t see it.  I have seen the replay often and at the 20th reunion the guys were talking about the play a lot.

Super cool.  Rose is a class individual from what I know...the UNCC coach.  Al just walking away and the hug by Butch was very cool.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »
Chico’s

I was talking the Al era. You did not insult me, so no worries. I just feel badly because you are losing credibility quickly with your non stop need to argue or jab every point in here.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 11:18:14 PM »
Chico’s

I was talking the Al era. You did not insult me, so no worries. I just feel badly because you are losing credibility quickly with your non stop need to argue or jab every point in here.

Ok

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 11:21:08 PM »
Cheeks

Understand hes a complete dbag, right?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.