collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 122208 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #675 on: July 12, 2019, 01:30:38 AM »
LUIS.  ROBERT.

That is all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #676 on: July 13, 2019, 12:41:43 AM »
First game at Angels Stadium since Skaggs died.  His mom, a softball coach local for 30 year# throws perfect strike opening pitch.  Every team member wearing Skaggs number.  Combined no hitter outcome.

Amazing,

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #677 on: July 13, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
First game at Angels Stadium since Skaggs died.  His mom, a softball coach local for 30 year# throws perfect strike opening pitch.  Every team member wearing Skaggs number.  Combined no hitter outcome.

Amazing,

That was great.  It really was amazing.  Very touching tribute by his teammates after the game as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #678 on: July 14, 2019, 05:01:06 PM »
That was great.  It really was amazing.  Very touching tribute by his teammates after the game as well.

Yes it was. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »
I had high hopes for Burnes this year. I thought he’d be a great addition to the rotation. It’s been disappointing watching him this year.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #680 on: July 14, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
I had high hopes for Burnes this year. I thought he’d be a great addition to the rotation. It’s been disappointing watching him this year.

If he doesn't allow an Earned Run in his next 99 innings, he'll match last year's ERA (2.61).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »

The flip side though is Woodruff.  He has been huge for the Brewers this year.  He has shown ace potential.  He certainly has the ace stuff.  Maybe a couple of bumpy starts but for the most part, he has been really good, and if he continues to progress, he may be the guy the Brewers can count on for a game 1 start.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #682 on: July 15, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »
I thought the NL Central was being way overrated and I think that’s played out. The Brewers just aren’t a very good team at all yet I don’t think anyone in the Central is so they won’t get put away until September.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #683 on: July 15, 2019, 07:00:07 PM »

For those that believe in God.

---------------------

"It was just designed perfectly," Simmons said. "It felt like a guidance."

Dee Gordon's viral postgame quote -- "If you don't believe in God, you might want to start" -- made its way through the Angels' clubhouse and drew laughs. Albert Pujols, a devout Christian, felt validated in his faith. Andrew Heaney, who doesn't consider himself religious, pondered the possibility of larger forces at play.

"You can't help but think that something bigger is going on, or someone out there is watching out for us," Angels reliever Cam Bedrosian said. "You could just feel it. You could feel something different."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #684 on: July 19, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
While Ryan Braun deserves to be booed pretty much anywhere he goes, I do find it comical that he went wild against the Diamondbacks while roiding in the 2011 Playoffs and their fans still hate him 8 years later because of it.  As if the Diamondbacks didn't win the 2001 World Series on the back of steroids.  Anyone ever take a look at Luis Gonzalez's home run totals year to year?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #685 on: July 19, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
Jonah Keri was suspended by The Athletic among allegations of repeated domestic abuse.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #686 on: July 22, 2019, 10:24:10 PM »
Tyler Saladino on the year:
.130 avg, 7 for 54. 5 singles, 2 grand slams.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #687 on: July 23, 2019, 05:24:01 AM »
Have to think the Brewers have pitched themselves out of buy mode at the deadline. Way too many pitchers needed to make a fun, especially with Woodruff through August.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #688 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »

I should probably shut up because I didn't say anything when it happened, and he cleared waivers, but what does Tyler Saladino do that Hernan Perez doesnt?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #689 on: July 23, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »
I should probably shut up because I didn't say anything when it happened, and he cleared waivers, but what does Tyler Saladino do that Hernan Perez doesnt?

Nothing, but Saldino did have a .943 OPS in 67 games in San Antonio before coming up to the MLB and he was playing well for the Brewers last year before he sprained his ankle.  He probably deserved a shot given what Perez was giving the Brewers (or not giving them).

(No longer addressed your way) the Brewers just aren't a very good baseball team.  Really at all.  But nobody in the NL Central is.  To be honest the entire NL is really bad outside of the Dodgers.  I personally don't even think the Braves are very good.  Decent sure, but should not be the second best team in the NL.  I can't see anybody even scaring the Dodgers prior to the World Series.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #690 on: July 23, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
Have to think the Brewers have pitched themselves out of buy mode at the deadline. Way too many pitchers needed to make a fun, especially with Woodruff through August.

I hope that as things stand the Crew aren't looking to trade significant assets for rentals, but there'd be nothing wrong with them making a move for someone with team control through 2020 or beyond. I don't think they have the combination of financial flexibility and bad contracts to send back for Greinke to make sense, but I think there's still a lot to like with a guy like Danny Duffy. Duffy in particular could probably be had cheaper than at the Winter Meetings.  He's due $30M over the next two years, so he's expensive, but not much moreso than trying to find a mid rotation starter on the open market.  Stroman would be a nice add too, but his value seems a little inflated right now and there's a lot of smoke around contenders adding him for the stretch.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #691 on: July 23, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »

Better defender than Hernan at SS, 2B, LF, RF. Saladino is a great defensive player. Hernan is versatile for sure, but just passable at every position he can play.

If Saladino can hit .240ish he's the better option for sure. We'll see if he can build upon the last two days.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #692 on: July 23, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
Nothing, but Saldino did have a .943 OPS in 67 games in San Antonio before coming up to the MLB and he was playing well for the Brewers last year before he sprained his ankle.  He probably deserved a shot given what Perez was giving the Brewers (or not giving them).

(No longer addressed your way) the Brewers just aren't a very good baseball team.  Really at all.  But nobody in the NL Central is.  To be honest the entire NL is really bad outside of the Dodgers.  I personally don't even think the Braves are very good.  Decent sure, but should not be the second best team in the NL.  I can't see anybody even scaring the Dodgers prior to the World Series.

Eh.... Stats say otherwise. The nl central has 5 teams that are actually not bad and therefore chew up on each other (much like the old big east) Cubs and cards are over 500 on each of the nl divisions, and the brewers haven't played bad against the others. The nl also has a very respectable record VS the AL. The central just doesn't have the one or two beating sticks that divions like the AL east do.

Hell every nl central team is still technically in the race, and all realistically had a shot at the asb.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #693 on: July 23, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
Hernan will be a September call up, and my understanding is thought very highly.  I have no doubt that everyone was on the same page when this move happened.  When he is done playing, the Brewers want him to be a part of the organization in the future.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #694 on: July 23, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »
I might actually like to see the Crew 'sell'.  Moose and Yasi are on one year contracts.  They could certainly help someone and I'd argue the Brewers need some young pitchers in the minors.  They could bring Shaw back up and make Pina the everyday.  We simply have to decide if Shaw can be the guy again and we know Grandal is a total rental.  Heck, we could even tell Moose that we'll call him in November.

I agree with those that said that nobody appears to be getting past the Dodgers.  So should we really work like crazy to get a wild card birth?  Next year maybe Knebel, Suter, Nelson are all back and 100%.  Maybe Burnes gets his stuff together?  Maybe, but it doesn't feel like this year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #695 on: July 23, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
I really doubt the Brewers are going to sell a half game out of the Wild Card and two out of the Division. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #696 on: July 23, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

That is fantastic.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #697 on: July 23, 2019, 10:27:37 PM »
I really doubt the Brewers are going to sell a half game out of the Wild Card and two out of the Division.

You wanna re-evaluate?  The Crew isn't going anywhere this year.  Sure they might make the playoffs but stretching to do that isn't worth mortgaging.  I'd sell.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #698 on: July 23, 2019, 10:48:47 PM »
You wanna re-evaluate?  The Crew isn't going anywhere this year.  Sure they might make the playoffs but stretching to do that isn't worth mortgaging.  I'd sell.

I’m really down on the team and don’t expect them to make the playoffs, but with the Cubs struggling and the return for two months of Moose and Grandal likely “blah” at best, the smartest course of action for the Brewers is probably just to stand pat and hope everybody gets hot.  Stearns seems to make a deal with the White Sox every summer, so see what they want for Colome and if it’s reasonable, pull the trigger and get Hader some help in the bullpen.  I don’t like the idea of giving up the farm for Boyd, and Bumgarner won’t move the needle enough. 

The two factors that buried this year’s team were Knebel’s injury and the failure of Burnes and Peralta as starters.  Perhaps Stearns will learn not to ignore his rotation next winter.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #699 on: July 24, 2019, 12:53:53 AM »
I’m really down on the team and don’t expect them to make the playoffs, but with the Cubs struggling and the return for two months of Moose and Grandal likely “blah” at best, the smartest course of action for the Brewers is probably just to stand pat and hope everybody gets hot.  Stearns seems to make a deal with the White Sox every summer, so see what they want for Colome and if it’s reasonable, pull the trigger and get Hader some help in the bullpen.  I don’t like the idea of giving up the farm for Boyd, and Bumgarner won’t move the needle enough. 

The two factors that buried this year’s team were Knebel’s injury and the failure of Burnes and Peralta as starters.  Perhaps Stearns will learn not to ignore his rotation next winter.

Good to know the guy that has given up 3 ER or less in 11 of his last 12 starts "doesn't move the needle".

Since May 1st, his ERA is 3.38.  Better than a K/IP. And has given up a .302 OBP.  He is also averaging 6 IP, even including one outing that was 2 IP because of rain.