Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Expectations over the next 5 years  (Read 11554 times)

avid1010

• All American
Expectations over the next 5 years
« on: March 26, 2019, 05:20:49 PM »
Not in love with Wojo, but I also realize I'm really not qualified to judge him by anything other than wins/losses and a clean program.  So over the next five years I would be happy if we had a clean program and Wojo did the following:

-Next year - 5 seed or better and/or a Sweet 16 or better.

-In the four years that follow - Top 25 team 50% of the time...and a NCAA tourney team in 3 of those 4 years. 

I would hope for better than a 5 seed next year, but if he doesn't hit that mark next year, or as soon as the conditions for the next four years become unattainable I think MU needs to move.

By your standards (not what you think MU will require), what is the minimum Wojo needs to do next year and then over the next four years to remain at MU?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:24:15 PM by avid1010 »

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Expectations over the next 5 years
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
The most important recruiting year is coming up, so if Wojo can bring in some of the players MU is mentioned with, then he wii be fine. Has one already, needs 3 or 4 more, then MU will be fine for 4 more years. Next year should be at least 5th seed or better, add 2 players who should help and everybody back is enough

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
4 tourney appearances
2 S16
2 Conference Championships

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 05:52:23 PM »
Would like to see Wojo and Company bring in 4 high quality recruits for 2020 class. They have Symir’s verbal commitment ,now they just need to get some of the strong local prospects.

If a pogo stick grad transfer or traditional transfer,with proven track record is available for last 2019 spot that would be great too.

As far as team goes they need to produce solid consistent results with strength at end of the season. Big East is far tougher next year ,so anything 3rd or better is pretty good work. Need to show double digit wins in Non conference season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:55:55 PM »
4 tourney appearances
2 S16
2 Conference Championships

This is pretty close to mine...only I would add...starting with next year and over the next four..they make the tourney EVERY year(with 4 seeds or better)...NOT lose in the first round, Minimum of at least two sweet 16's(and be on the same path Buzz was...Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8). 2 conference championships and I would add no more then 1 loss at home in any of those years.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
5 NCAA appearances. Marquette is a program that should expect to make it almost every year.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:04:12 PM »
5 NCAA appearances. Marquette is a program that should expect to make it almost every year.

FIFY...and the fan base should expect it as well.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 06:27:18 PM »
Not in love with Wojo, but I also realize I'm really not qualified to judge him by anything other than wins/losses and a clean program.  So over the next five years I would be happy if we had a clean program and Wojo did the following:

-Next year - 5 seed or better and/or a Sweet 16 or better.

-In the four years that follow - Top 25 team 50% of the time...and a NCAA tourney team in 3 of those 4 years. 

I would hope for better than a 5 seed next year, but if he doesn't hit that mark next year, or as soon as the conditions for the next four years become unattainable I think MU needs to move.

By your standards (not what you think MU will require), what is the minimum Wojo needs to do next year and then over the next four years to remain at MU?

Next year, if everyone returns?  2nd weekend of NCAA’s, compete for league title, meaning top few of league, comf tourney improvement, similar or better NCAA seed.

Over 5 years? Two NCAA 2nd weekends, win the league. Make NCAA’s annually.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
Would like to see Wojo and Company bring in 4 high quality recruits for 2020 class. They have Symir’s verbal commitment ,now they just need to get some of the strong local prospects.

If a pogo stick grad transfer or traditional transfer,with proven track record is available for last 2019 spot that would be great too.

As far as team goes they need to produce solid consistent results with strength at end of the season. Big East is far tougher next year ,so anything 3rd or better is pretty good work. Need to show double digit wins in Non conference season.
I misread question. In addition to above I would like to see program make the tournament every year. If Wojo and staff can keep recruiting at pace I outlined second week of tournament consistently is achievable.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »
If we make the NCAA tournament every season with an average seed of 5 or better, MU would rank among the top 10 programs in the country. That's my hope for the program in the next 5 years.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »
Well, let's see...after Marquette grows a pair and fires Wojo I expect his replacement to...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 06:53:12 PM »
FIFY...and the fan base should expect it as well.

When an "ELITE" program doesn't, should they be fired?   When Syracuse, UNC, Arizona, etc, etc miss....those coaches should have been canned.....I'm asking since they were elite.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 06:55:30 PM »
Next season, I expect them to be better than this season.

The year after that, I expect them to be significantly worse with Markus, Sam, Sacar, and Ed graduating. Despite that, I expect them to still make the NCAAs, likely a bubble team with a lot of promise from a strong 2020 class. If Wojo can somehow land Jalen Johnson, we may get to skip this rebuilding year.

Three years out I expect another big jump similar to one between years 4 and 5 with only McEwen, John, and Cain graduating and year of growth for hopefully a strong 2020 class. A top 6 seed.

Four years out, maintain the progress made the previous year. Joey, Bailey, and Greg all graduate but recruiting has continued to improve and the youngbloods are ready to take over. Another top 6 seed.

Five years out, the 2020 class are now seniors and the recruiting classes behind them have been strong. Akanno and Eke are the only players who graduated from the top 6 seed team from a year ago. Maybe nobody graduated if Akanno redshirtted and Eke never recovered from his back. Team comes in with legitimate final four hype.

The above is an "in a perfect world" scenario. But now that the rebuild is over, expectations are higher. Wojo can take the occasional dip into the high seeds and maybe miss the tourney once every 5 or 6 years, but no more multiple years with no NCAA appearances.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
I really cannot provide any expectations past next year without knowing who the players will be on the roster.  It would only be speculation, relying on if so commits, etc.  This is based upon the fact after next year, MU loses Markus, Sam, Sacar, Morrow, and we should know if Ike will or will not be on the roster.  Maybe some current player transfers.  That could be a potential six player vacancy.  Without knowing the roster, how can one make a reasonable assessment.

For next year, if Markus returns and McEwen is not a mirror image of Chartouney, along with Elliott, the team should be ranked pre season close to Top 15 ranking.  Challenge for BE title and Elite 8. 

For future years, starting with 2020, the discussion can commence on learning the identities of the incoming players and Symir Torrence is an outstanding start.  Currently ranked 48 and rising with a bullet status.  The staff is in on numerous top recruits and let’s see who commits. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:14:49 PM by nyg »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
I really cannot provide any expectations past next year without knowing who the players will be on the roster.  It would only be speculation, relying on if so commits, etc.  This is based upon the fact after next year, MU loses Markus, Sam, Sacar, Morrow, and we should know if Ike will or will not be on the roster.  Maybe some current player transfers.  That could be a potential six player vacancy.  Without knowing the roster, how can one make a reasonable assessment.

Koby
Greg
Jamal
Brendan
Joey
Theo
...all currently on the roster and 'project' to be here in 2020-21. That's a great start and certainly a roster base (+ hopefully newbies who make an impact) that looks to be tourney worthy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
When an "ELITE" program doesn't, should they be fired?   When Syracuse, UNC, Arizona, etc, etc miss....those coaches should have been canned.....I'm asking since they were elite.

Of course they shouldn't...but when is the last time any of them missed 3 times in a 5 year span..?? When's the last time a Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas have missed?? I know Kentucky was in the NIT several years ago..But were right back in the NCAA's again and haven't missed a beat since...UNC did miss...under Doherty...guess what they did?? FIRED him. That's not acceptable at UNC. It hsould also not be acceptable at MU.

Boeheim has missed, but he has also been there forever and with everything he has done for that program he has earned the right for a slip up or two. Wojo hasn't come close to earning that right...and he shouldn't be given it.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
No expectations according to most.  We run a clean program and for Christ’s sake, we finished 2nd in the BE.  Who cares if we ever win a tourney.  Wtf do you want!!!!!!!   Geez

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
No expectations according to most.  We run a clean program and for Christ’s sake, we finished 2nd in the BE.  Who cares if we ever win a tourney.  Wtf do you want!!!!!!!   Geez

That’s the spirit.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 07:44:28 PM »
Watching Indiana right now and started thinking about MU this upcoming year, MU could not stop Langford and had trouble all year with a player like him. Can either of the guards coming in defend that or does MU need a 6’7”  inch player who can?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »

Apparently at Marquette, for some of the fans now, this is banner hanging worthy...let's get one made up and proudly display it in the Fiserv Forum rafters!

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
It's basically the same teams competing for the crown each year. Every once in a while a sleeper may get to the Final Four. It's  boring. I'm glad Nova made it's mark and is now one of the elite programs. They lucked out w/ Wright.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »
I dont get the recruiting talk...dont give a crap if wojo recruits like bo ryan if we have that kind of success.  Now i "think" wojo needs to recruit big to win because i think he lacks as a coach...but few are qualified to judge that.  For me...dont care who comes and goes...just get us in the tourney 3 out of 4 years and a top 25 program the majority of the time.  From there i think opportunities for ncaa wins present themselves over time.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:39 PM »
We are suffering the growing pains with a rookie coach. I think we have to jump at the opportunity to find a coach who has learned the ropes having coached a few teams if that opportunity presents itself.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
I believe Marquette can consistently be in the top 25, Make the tournament and have a couple of decent runs in the tournament over the next five years.

The thing that has impressed me the most about Wojo is his work on the recruiting trail. He is out there working the top levels of talent very hard and getting the schools name out there.  It appears as if Marquette can compete well for talent at the level just below the Blue Bloods. Marquette is a great platform for transfers as well. 

This past season obviously ended on a sour note, however I believe the coaching staff will learn from the experience and make the necessary adjustments in the coming years.

I live down in ACC land and believe me things could be a lot worse. Just look at Wake under Danny Manning for an example. Marquette program is in the process of going from good to very good and it appears as if they can do that over the next five years.

UNC Grad MU Fan

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
making tourney 4 times every 5 years (so 80%), making 2nd weekend 2-3 times in that 5 year period (so 50%) and slipping into a f4 every 10-15 years.

Imo, next year comes with serious pressure to make a trip to the second weekend. But I doubt admin makes a move if he makes tourney and only wins one game or loses first round.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:01:59 PM by WindyCityGoldenEagle »