[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: To tip or not to tip?  (Read 1845 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
To tip or not to tip?
« on: June 29, 2019, 04:00:10 PM »
My sister and I are going canyoning tomorrow in Switzerland with a company.  It’s an outdoor 4-5 hr adventure.  She thinks we need to tip the guy(s) who will be with us.  I think they don’t because they’re doing their job (which seems pretty fun as jobs go).  She said when she went zip lining in Mexico it was almost expected.  Does anyone know what the expectation would be in Switzerland?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: To tip or not to tip?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
My sister and I are going canyoning tomorrow in Switzerland with a company.  It’s an outdoor 4-5 hr adventure.  She thinks we need to tip the guy(s) who will be with us.  I think they don’t because they’re doing their job (which seems pretty fun as jobs go).  She said when she went zip lining in Mexico it was almost expected.  Does anyone know what the expectation would be in Switzerland?

Do NOT tip in Europe generally, in Switzerland specifically. I mean you can if you want but it is definitely not expected or necessary. Mexico is 100% a tip.culture but Europe is definitely not.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »
Do NOT tip in Europe generally, in Switzerland specifically. I mean you can if you want but it is definitely not expected or necessary. Mexico is 100% a tip.culture but Europe is definitely not.

Tipping culture Europe has changed quite a bit in the past 5-10 years but it is country by country. Switzerland is quite different since they don't have poor people (this is a joke). Usually on the continent for meals and beverages 5-10% is customary for Americans to leave. For cabs, roundup plus a Euro or 2. England is a bit more but that's because the UK is not Europe - it's the UK.

But for this type of excursion I don't think you have to tip but if you enjoyed yourself, show a little something for effort. I mean you're not the Llama.

But I like to throw handfuls...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
Tip.  It's a personal excursion and you trusted him/her with your personal safety.  5-10%. 

In Swiss restaurants, the service charge is built into the bills, so 5% for excellent service. 10% tops.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 08:28:50 PM »
i'd tip, or at least show 'em some green before ya push off.  he just might give ya a few pointers on how not to lose your footing for example at certain points in the excursion.  the difference between enjoying the slideshow with the family afterwards and taking in solids at the hospital ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:41:56 PM »
Mr. Pink say no tipping
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
Tipping culture Europe has changed quite a bit in the past 5-10 years but it is country by country. Switzerland is quite different since they don't have poor people (this is a joke). Usually on the continent for meals and beverages 5-10% is customary for Americans to leave. For cabs, roundup plus a Euro or 2. England is a bit more but that's because the UK is not Europe - it's the UK.

But for this type of excursion I don't think you have to tip but if you enjoyed yourself, show a little something for effort. I mean you're not the Llama.

I was always told to round up even and you can add a Euro or two. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 10:08:33 PM »
Tell ‘em ND sucks.

If they give you the thumbs up, 30%.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:13:38 PM by real chili 83 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
Tell ‘em ND sucks.

If they give you the thumbs up, 30%.

I'd strongly recommend against that right now, especially in any French-speaking country... pretty much ensures a loose buckle on your harness.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
Plant yo crops early dis year, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
I've been to dozens of countries in Europe. I always tip for that kinda stuff, including meals (assuming the service didn't suck). Not 20% like in the states, but a few extra euros.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:32:40 PM by Coleman »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
Was in London over spring break.  10% was what we were told by the hotel and the locals.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »
Pretty sure dey figured ewe were der on yo paper route tip money and didant wanna push ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback