[Today at 03:51:50 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by Elonsmusk
[Today at 03:35:19 PM]

Tyler Kolek Pre-Draft Video by We R Final Four
[Today at 01:46:19 PM]

2025 Recruiting by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:35:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goose was right, fools gold  (Read 4807 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Goose was right, fools gold
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:28:49 PM »
Now that buffalo lost I believe all of our best wins this season we’re all bounced before the S16.

Buffalo, vadgers, Kansas state, nova.

Not to mention the teams we lost to, also fit this category. Kansas, UL (not in ncaa)

Props goose, fools gold indeed

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Goose was right, fools gold
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »
How many threads can you guys start that simply say variations of the same thing?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:33:16 PM »
Really wish I was not right.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
Don't necessarily disagree about the team being "fools gold", but citing these results is a terrible way to prove it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »
Now that buffalo lost I believe all of our best wins this season we’re all bounced before the S16.

Buffalo, vadgers, Kansas state, nova.

Not to mention the teams we lost to, also fit this category. Kansas, UL (not in ncaa)

Props goose, fools gold indeed

Uhm, we beat UL.

Yup, for those that determine the entire season based on one outcome...you are right.  Please, don't cue up the final 8 games, I'm talking about these teams.  KSU won the Big 12.  Buffalo won their conference. Nova won their conference.  Wisconsin had some good wins. More than likely it says the top 12 to 15 teams are probably way above the next grouping on average, but still anything can happen on a given day.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »
We lost to Louisville and Louisville wasn’t in the NCAA Tournament?

Sheesh. Just get the basic facts right and maybe there will be one iota of credibility in some posters. When you just make up blatant lies to try to prove how awful Marquette is it’s hard to take people seriously.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Cheeks
Like I said in December, a bunch oc not very good teams. There are 8-12 teams that can play and 30-40 that can beat each other up. Those teams were not very good teams, especially in comparison to the 8-12. You called me a bad fan for saying UW was not a very good team. I was right, they weren’t a very good team.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:02:14 PM by Goose »

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:57:07 PM »
Yep, I meant UL not making it past the first game in the NCAA tourney. Glad you got to call me out on not knowing we beat UL.  Put that feather in your cap wades.

Next time throw a few “LoL’s” please
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:58:38 PM by MUpilot »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »
Yep, I meant UL not making it past the first game in the NCAA tourney. Glad you got to call me out on not knowing we beat UL.  Put that feather in your cap wades.

Next time throw a few “LoL’s” please

Seems odd to single out UL as “not in ncaa” because they lost in the first round when 2 other teams on your list fit the exact same category. LOL!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:03:51 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
Point is still proven, sorry wades. 

Lol.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
Point is still proven, sorry wades. 

Lol.

Aka “I was wrong and got called out, then doubled down and tried to act like a tough guy...but was still wrong.”

If my memory is correct, that UL win was shortly after you were liking and commenting on 18-22 year old college kid’s and Barstool Sports’ Instagram pictures and claiming MU only sends out feel good videos of the team doing charity work to make people feel better that a team that gets blown out on the road flies privately. You are one tight dude. What’s the new Instagram username since you deleted that one?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
Aka “I was wrong and got called out, then doubled down and tried to act like a tough guy...but was still wrong.”

If my memory is correct, that UL win was shortly after you were liking and commenting on 18-22 year old college kid’s and Barstool Sports’ Instagram pictures and claiming MU only sends out feel good videos of the team doing charity work to make people feel better that a team that gets blown out on the road flies privately. You are one tight dude. What’s the new Instagram username since you deleted that one?

I forgot about that. Crazy

muguru

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 09:11:12 PM »
Uhm, we beat UL.

Yup, for those that determine the entire season based on one outcome...you are right.  Please, don't cue up the final 8 games, I'm talking about these teams.  KSU won the Big 12.  Buffalo won their conference. Nova won their conference.  Wisconsin had some good wins. More than likely it says the top 12 to 15 teams are probably way above the next grouping on average, but still anything can happen on a given day.

So....riddle me this...how many Champions are crowned at the end of the college basketball season?? If the tournament doesn't matter and is such a "crap shoot" as you continually spew...why is it that that's what teams play for all season long?? Why is it what kids often recite when committing to a place "Ever since I was growing up, I have wanted to play in the NCAA tournament". Why when a team loses are there so many tears from these kids...because their dream of being the champ just ended. It's what the entire CBB revolves around. The tournament is EVERYTHING regardless of what you think/say. It's how Coaches and teams are typically judged, right or wrong. That's the reality of it. hell, if it's that unimportant, why do they even play it??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
Buffalo lost to a top 10 kenpom team in a game they were underdogs in.

Kansas is down their two best players.

KSU is down their best player.

UW, Nova and Louisville had good resumes but not a ton of talent and we matched up with them pretty well.

We deserved our seed. We were probably more of a 7 seed quality team just like Kenpom suggested the majority of the year.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 11:37:28 PM »

Have no dog in the fight, but definitely waiting on an MUpilot rebuttal to this one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 12:14:19 AM »
So....riddle me this...how many Champions are crowned at the end of the college basketball season?? If the tournament doesn't matter and is such a "crap shoot" as you continually spew...why is it that that's what teams play for all season long?? Why is it what kids often recite when committing to a place "Ever since I was growing up, I have wanted to play in the NCAA tournament". Why when a team loses are there so many tears from these kids...because their dream of being the champ just ended. It's what the entire CBB revolves around. The tournament is EVERYTHING regardless of what you think/say. It's how Coaches and teams are typically judged, right or wrong. That's the reality of it. hell, if it's that unimportant, why do they even play it??

Have I said the NCAA tormurnament isn’t important?  Nope.  Hugely important.  What I have also said is that it doesn’t crown the best team, at least not a majority of the time.  It most definitely crowns a NCAA champion and that’s why they play it.  Very important.  Often, the best team doesn’t win it, because it is such a crapshoot...but never said it didn’t do what it is intended to do, which is crown the tournament champion.

My point, Mark Few’s point, Coach K’s point, so many others....it is overstated in terms of weight.  If you are UVA last year, ranked number 1 much of year, win ACC and win ACC tournament, playe very well for 5 months but poorly for 40 minutes doesn’t change the 5 months...for you it seems to.  For ten years I have been consistent as hell here on how I view this.  I divide the season up into preseason (no conference), comference, and post season.  Sum of the parts, but each viewed independently. That’s how I do it, you are free to do it as you wish, but for me they are different parts of the same overall season.  You can do well in some parts and not in others.  For the same reason we could go 0-27 and win the Big East tournament and a NCAA GAME and it feels like some of you would call that success.  It doesn’t work that way for me and the reverse, logically, shouldn’t either.  Tournament very important, but in evaluating an entire season, it is not the end all be all....for you it seems to be.  Fine.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:19:21 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 12:16:45 AM »
Buffalo lost to a top 10 kenpom team in a game they were underdogs in.

Kansas is down their two best players.

KSU is down their best player.

UW, Nova and Louisville had good resumes but not a ton of talent and we matched up with them pretty well.

We deserved our seed. We were probably more of a 7 seed quality team just like Kenpom suggested the majority of the year.

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe KU was down their two best players when we played them...same for K State....or are you just saying in general for their seasons?

I wish we had the 7 seed, mich better option for us than the 5.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 03:00:20 AM »
I could be wrong, but I don’t believe KU was down their two best players when we played them...same for K State....or are you just saying in general for their seasons?

I wish we had the 7 seed, mich better option for us than the 5.

I believe he's referring to the current state of those teams
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 04:12:41 AM »
Have I said the NCAA tormurnament isn’t important?  Nope.  Hugely important.  What I have also said is that it doesn’t crown the best team, at least not a majority of the time.  It most definitely crowns a NCAA champion and that’s why they play it.  Very important.  Often, the best team doesn’t win it, because it is such a crapshoot...but never said it didn’t do what it is intended to do, which is crown the tournament champion.

This is true of all single elimination style playoffs. The best team does not win. The closest that does have the best team win is the CFP and it is only 4 teams. The only leagues I can think of where the best team is truly the champion is European Football Leagues where the team with the most points at the end of the season wins.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 04:22:17 AM »
A lot of this is mental masturbation. The bottom line is that Wojo's trajectory is downward.

He lost this team when it was most critical.

Is Marquette MBB better today than when Wojo took over? Yes. But that's not the question.

Is this guy capable of delivering sustained success defined by deep runs in the NCAA Dance? Unlike Bert, the answer is no.

Frankly, Wojo must be held accountable for the season-ending meltdown. If the AD and Lovell have a hair on their ass they'll have a tough conversation with Wojo.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 05:36:31 AM »
A lot of this is mental masturbation. The bottom line is that Wojo's trajectory is downward.

Is Marquette MBB better today than when Wojo took over? Yes. But that's not the question.

Is this guy capable of delivering sustained success defined by deep runs in the NCAA Dance? Unlike Bert, the answer is no.

Frankly, Wojo must be held accountable for the season-ending meltdown. If the AD and Lovell have a hair on their ass they'll have a tough conversation with Wojo.
Yeah, here is the tough conversation;
AD: need to talk about this year's performance and direction
Wojo: Great here is my power point to showcase it
AD; Please...Your 5 year rollover is hereby granted. Keep us fading down the stretch. The scoopers love you.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 05:56:55 AM »

I'm not sure you can take three weeks of a season and say the trajectory is downward. I have plenty of doubts about Wojo as a coach but three weeks of the most successful season in an otherwise upward trajectory would seem more like a blip than a true indicator of a downward trend.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 06:08:34 AM »

I'm not sure Brant has shown the ability to sustain anything.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 06:55:18 AM »
I'm not sure you can take three weeks of a season and say the trajectory is downward. I have plenty of doubts about Wojo as a coach but three weeks of the most successful season in an otherwise upward trajectory would seem more like a blip than a true indicator of a downward trend.

Yup

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »

Factually incorrect.

Unless, of course, you're only counting the last 4 weeks of this season. As opposed to the entirety of the past 5 years
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:57:44 AM by jesmu84 »