[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Nate Oats calls, what do you say?  (Read 15870 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: If Nate Oats calls, what do you say?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2019, 10:07:13 PM »
Thank You...but with all due respect, Buffalo's Coach gets a bit of a pass from me for today..he was up against a team that was better then they were. Not a lot you can do about that. I can't give Wojo that same pass for Thursday. With the right game plan, that game was winnable..with the exception of Ja, MU was more talented at every spot on the floor.

Okey dokey.

How about the one in Milwaukee on on Dec. 21, when Buffalo was the No. 12 team in the nation and got to go up against an obviously terrible, horribly coached, unmitigated disaster of a team? Gave up 64 points in the second half and lost by 18. Gets a pass on that one, too, I guess.

Markus was impossibly hot, right? There was nothing Oats could have done about it.

That's probably true. It's also true that the only coach for whom "no excuses" applies is the Marquette coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »
Okey dokey.

How about the one in Milwaukee on on Dec. 21, when Buffalo was the No. 12 team in the nation and got to go up against an obviously terrible, horribly coached, unmitigated disaster of a team? Gave up 64 points in the second half and lost by 18. Gets a pass on that one, too, I guess.

Markus was impossibly hot, right? There was nothing Oats could have done about it.

That's probably true. It's also true that the only coach for whom "no excuses" applies is the Marquette coach.

Buffalo was overrated when we played them.  Had they been in a P6 conference, they’d be a bubble team and might not have made the tournament.  Getting their asses kicked by us in a true road game when our best player had one of the hottest shooting nights many of us have ever seen was about right.

And for the record, I’d rather hire Warren Oates than Nate for the MU job.  Nate might be a good high major coach in time, but let him have a few more strong years at his current school first.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2019, 10:31:41 PM »
Buffalo was overrated when we played them.  Had they been in a P6 conference, they’d be a bubble team and might not have made the tournament.  Getting their asses kicked by us in a true road game when our best player had one of the hottest shooting nights many of us have ever seen was about right.

And for the record, I’d rather hire Warren Oates than Nate for the MU job.  Nate might be a good high major coach in time, but let him have a few more strong years at his current school first.

Yeah...no.

If every team that gets blown out in a game is "overrated" then you might be lucky to have 4 teams that deserve to be "rated."

Buffalo was fantastic.  They played a very bad half against a great team in the last game of their season.  Weird how often we're seeing that this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »

This is very reasonable, RR.

I do get a kick out of the "no excuses" crowd who find ways to make excuses for anybody not named Wojo, though. (Not saying that's you.)

I had some fun with this whole The Next Great Coach thing, but really maybe Oats will be a great major-level coach. Or not. We just don't know. He could be the next Bill Self (Tulsa to Illinois to Kansas) or the next Bob Dukiet (ugh). Most likely, he'd be something in between those extremes ... kinda like Shaka Smart has been so far for Texas.

Some folks here are so desperate to dump Wojo and replace him with anybody that they've elevated Oats to some kind of mythical creature -- the Unicorn of coaching prospects. Others think we can steal Tony Bennett from Virginia.

Fun stuff!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2019, 10:51:16 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2019, 10:52:47 PM »
Okey dokey.

This one's easy..On Dec 21st..Buffalo played a team that was more talented then them..and what happened that day was no surprise. Just like them losing tonight was no surprise..those things will USUALLY happen when you don't have as much talent as the team you're playing. Although..MU's last 7 games went against that particular statement. It shouldn't have..but it did.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2019, 10:54:42 PM »
Yeah...no.

If every team that gets blown out in a game is "overrated" then you might be lucky to have 4 teams that deserve to be "rated."

Buffalo was fantastic.  They played a very bad half against a great team in the last game of their season.  Weird how often we're seeing that this year.

I didn’t say Buffalo was overrated because they got blown out.  I said I thought they were overrated when they played us, which is to say they weren’t the 12th best team in the country.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re a blast to watch and I love their style of play.  I also thought they were undersized and lacked depth, and would get beat by the first good high major team they faced in the Tourney.  And that’s what happened.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
I didn’t say Buffalo was overrated because they got blown out.  I said I thought they were overrated when they played us, which is to say they weren’t the 12th best team in the country.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re a blast to watch and I love their style of play.  I also thought they were undersized and lacked depth, and would get beat by the first good high major team they faced in the Tourney.  And that’s what happened.

I guess it was more the “they would’ve been a bubble team had they played in a P6 conference” that I couldn’t disagree with more. Personally I thought Buffalo was the best team we beat this season. And our non con included the Big 12 winner, a top 4 Big 10 team, and a team that beat Michigan State and UNC this year. They were very, very good. And TTU is a better version of them.

I think they would’ve won the Big East and PAC 12 this year and would’ve competed for a Big 12 title. Would’ve been about 5th in the ACC and 4th in the B1G. (Blindly guessing here. I wonder if those would be even close to where KenPom would have them falling).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2019, 11:03:18 PM »
This one's easy..On Dec 21st..Buffalo played a team that was more talented then them..and what happened that day was no surprise. Just like them losing tonight was no surprise..those things will USUALLY happen when you don't have as much talent as the team you're playing. Although..MU's last 7 games went against that particular statement. It shouldn't have..but it did.

Yes, the last 23 days of the season (with the possible exception of March 14) really blew. Is anybody here disputing that?

Doesn't change the fact that the coach you can't stand spanked one of the superstar coaches you want to replace him.

Oh, and everything you said in this post sounded suspiciously like the kind of "excuse" you hate hearing from those who have the temerity to ever defend Wojo.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2019, 11:16:00 PM »
Yes, the last 23 days of the season (with the possible exception of March 14) really blew. Is anybody here disputing that?

Doesn't change the fact that the coach you can't stand spanked one of the superstar coaches you want to replace him.

Oh, and everything you said in this post sounded suspiciously like the kind of "excuse" you hate hearing from those who have the temerity to ever defend Wojo.

Where did I ever say I want Oates to replace him? I'll pass..I want someone more seasoned and that has won at the highest level.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2019, 11:32:54 PM »
Where did I ever say I want Oates to replace him? I'll pass..I want someone more seasoned and that has won at the highest level.

My apologies (seriously) for thinking you backed Oats as Wojo's replacement.

Which seasoned, winning, high-major coach do you want whom we actually could land?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2019, 12:03:04 AM »

How about Hall and Oates...or Johnny?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2019, 12:04:45 AM »
This is very reasonable, RR.

I do get a kick out of the "no excuses" crowd who find ways to make excuses for anybody not named Wojo, though. (Not saying that's you.)

I had some fun with this whole The Next Great Coach thing, but really maybe Oats will be a great major-level coach. Or not. We just don't know. He could be the next Bill Self (Tulsa to Illinois to Kansas) or the next Bob Dukiet (ugh). Most likely, he'd be something in between those extremes ... kinda like Shaka Smart has been so far for Texas.

Some folks here are so desperate to dump Wojo and replace him with anybody that they've elevated Oats to some kind of mythical creature -- the Unicorn of coaching prospects. Others think we can steal Tony Bennett from Virginia.

Fun stuff!

This this this

All kinds of exceptions, except when our team in involved and the exceptions are no longer valid.  Others get blown out, well their coach gets a pass.  We get blown out, our coach sucks. 

It is truly amazing
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

burger

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »
Guess he did"nt have to call......

AD's were calling him.....

Solid hire by Alabama......

Has a little "good Buzz" in him......

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »
And TJ to UNLV

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2019, 04:41:36 PM »
If Oats calls? Roll Tide?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
Why are you calling us Nate, unless you're trying to lure Markus to Alabama.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
Congrats on the new gig.  Now stop stalking me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
I wouldn't have taken his call to begin with...wasn't interested even if MU's Coaching gig was open.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
Yes, let's do a home/home series.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:49 PM »
Curious how many are like me that potentially overvalue oats and otzelberger because of their local connections and therefore perceived potential for the marq job being a possible dream job for them?

Maybe not explaining myself as eloquently as I should but because of our stepping stone history I so want to have our own successful long term commitment guy (maybe it’s wojo, who knows) that I know I value the local connection too much. I don’t take it as far as overvaluing Wardle but heck right or wrong maybe some do and as a marq fan I get that viewpoint too.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
Why do I come back to this website
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
Why do I come back to this website

It's a gift that keeps on giving...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2019, 09:46:57 PM »
I mean, I'm not criticizing anyone here, but whenever the topic of next MU coaches comes up, I see names like Otzelberger, Oates, Wardle, and they were all mentioned the last time too. But, names like that are just so small time thinking. People don't think that a power 6 Coach would ever be interested in the MU job...that couldn't be further from the truth, there have been several(and I'm not talking small time guys like Cuonzo Martin), that have expressed interest in the MU job, especially after Crean left..Rick Barnes being one of them.

When it was open when Buzz left, the timing was bad for MU...everybody and their brother thought Shaka was getting it(and he HAD accepted), so when his wife nixed it, that left MU a bit in scramble mode.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »
I mean, I'm not criticizing anyone here, but whenever the topic of next MU coaches comes up, I see names like Otzelberger, Oates, Wardle, and they were all mentioned the last time too. But, names like that are just so small time thinking. People don't think that a power 6 Coach would ever be interested in the MU job...that couldn't be further from the truth, there have been several(and I'm not talking small time guys like Cuonzo Martin), that have expressed interest in the MU job, especially after Crean left..Rick Barnes being one of them.

When it was open when Buzz left, the timing was bad for MU...everybody and their brother thought Shaka was getting it(and he HAD accepted), so when his wife nixed it, that left MU a bit in scramble mode.

Rick Barnes planted his name to save his job/ get more money at the next state school he was going to coach at.  MU was a ploy

The TB story had legs OTOH.