[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MillerCoors sues Bud Light  (Read 3040 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
MillerCoors sues Bud Light
« on: March 22, 2019, 06:21:32 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/beer-battle-that-began-during-the-super-bowl-keeps-brewing

Bud Light: Very funny commercial. Have not seen the MillerCoors ad however.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MillerCoors sues Bud Light
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
Doesn't Anheuaser Busch InBev own SABMiller? Doesn't that mean that they're effectively campaigning against their own beers outside of the Miller and Coors brewed in the USA? Or did I not understand the buyout of SABMiller correctly?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
Doesn't Anheuaser Busch InBev own SABMiller? Doesn't that mean that they're effectively campaigning against their own beers outside of the Miller and Coors brewed in the USA? Or did I not understand the buyout of SABMiller correctly?

AB InBev bought SAB and divested Miller to MolsonCoors due to antitrust issues.  So SABMiller is no more. SAB is back to where it was prior Miller purchase, except under the AB InBev umbrella

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »
AB InBev bought SAB and divested Miller to MolsonCoors due to antitrust issues.  So SABMiller is no more. SAB is back to where it was prior Miller purchase, except under the AB InBev umbrella

Got it. I had a friend at MillerCoors during the acquisition and she described it that ABInBev was essentially purchasing all rights to Miller outside the USA. Thanks for clarifying
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:47:46 PM »
This is a great case of "technically true" but misleading advertising.  But, it is true, so, I'm not sure where the lawsuit goes.  Aside from the fact that "high fructose corn syrup" (which isn't the corn syrup we're talking about here) has such a bad rep, I honestly don't know why consumers would be any more turned off by "corn syrup" than they would be by Bud Light's "rice syrup."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 02:15:26 PM »
Got it. I had a friend at MillerCoors during the acquisition and she described it that ABInBev was essentially purchasing all rights to Miller outside the USA. Thanks for clarifying

ABI wanted the SAB positions in Africa, Columbia & Australia as they were the only places where ABI wasn't dominant brewer (of the positions that SAB had). There were some instances where ABI had to sell off good stakes to get the deal done (Snow in China) as it would have put ABI into a 50%+1 position.

There were some other assets kept as part of the deal like a hop farm in South Africa that were great to get.
But I like to throw handfuls...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »
Aside from the fact that "high fructose corn syrup" (which isn't the corn syrup we're talking about here) has such a bad rep, I honestly don't know why consumers would be any more turned off by "corn syrup" than they would be by Bud Light's "rice syrup."

Because your average consumer is an idiot.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 07:46:09 AM »
This is a great case of "technically true" but misleading advertising.  But, it is true, so, I'm not sure where the lawsuit goes.  Aside from the fact that "high fructose corn syrup" (which isn't the corn syrup we're talking about here) has such a bad rep, I honestly don't know why consumers would be any more turned off by "corn syrup" than they would be by Bud Light's "rice syrup."

Did you know actual cooked rice is put into the mash while making Bud Light?

not saying it's good but it's not a syrup.

But I like to throw handfuls...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
Did you know actual cooked rice is put into the mash while making Bud Light?

not saying it's good but it's not a syrup.

Yea. Thing is, I don’t really care what form the rice or corn that they use for sugar for fermentation is. Corn or rice...who cares?  Bud Light knows that a lot of people have a problem with one particular kind of corn syrup - a kind that Coors & Miller don’t use - so they’re basing an ad campaign on the fact that Coors & Miller use a different ingredient that sounds similar. Not a perfect analogy, but it’s kind of like running an ad saying, “we keep chemicals out of our product, but our competitor fills its with dihydrogen monoxide.”
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:37:37 AM »
Rice brewed beer gives me the schlitz.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
Rice brewed beer gives me the schlitz.

If I drink too much rice brewed beer my leinenkugel doesn't get hard...

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 04:39:42 PM »
If I drink too much rice brewed beer my leinenkugel doesn't get hard...

Dick or Jake?
Ludum habemus.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:37:28 PM »
Dick or Jake?

Jake is actually a great guy. A Marine Corps vet he is heading up a Task Force addressing mental health issues among veterans.

I met Jake through some of my volunteer work in the effort into early onset of Alzheimers and Parkinsons among vets who suffered Traumatic Brain Injury in Iraq and Afghanistan. Young men in their 20's are being stricken with these diseases which typically don't present in people under 50.

After serving his country Jake went into the family business and turned a small brewery into a strategic acquisition target. Fact is, Jake could be enjoying a nice retirement but he is once more serving his nation with honor. Great American.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »
Jake is actually a great guy. A Marine Corps vet he is heading up a Task Force addressing mental health issues among veterans.

I met Jake through some of my volunteer work in the effort into early onset of Alzheimers and Parkinsons among vets who suffered Traumatic Brain Injury in Iraq and Afghanistan. Young men in their 20's are being stricken with these diseases which typically don't present in people under 50.

After serving his country Jake went into the family business and turned a small brewery into a strategic acquisition target. Fact is, Jake could be enjoying a nice retirement but he is once more serving his nation with honor. Great American.

The entire Leinenkugel family are wonderful folks. 
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
Didn’t they have some kids go to MU?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »

Yes.  I was also roomies with one of their cousins.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 01:39:27 PM »
They hook you guys up with free brewskis?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 01:43:40 PM »
The entire Leinenkugel family are wonderful folks.

Jake is a real quality guy. He is on a mission to address suicides among our vets. He takes this problem very personally. Just a decent man applying his considerable skills in the service of his country. We need more like him, frankly.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 04:08:12 PM »
They hook you guys up with free brewskis?

Yes, sir!  However, besides the good stuff we’d get some of their experimental hootch.  I wasn’t a big fan of the menthol lager.  Pretty much a couple of spoonfuls of Vick’s Vapo Rub ladled into a batch of brew.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 05:29:32 AM »

Dick was in my class.  Great guy.  And yes, he’d hunt down a quarter barrel from time to time.  Leinenkugel’s was hard to find in the late 70’s.
Ludum habemus.