'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Markus a point guard?  (Read 7059 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Is Markus a point guard?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
Grimes went elsewhere, Greg got hurt, Chartouny did not pan out.    Going forward, McEwen, Greg, Akanno, and Torrence all say hi.

So that is on Markus?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:11 AM »
This is my favorite scoop game and has become quite the tradition; next years X will fix this year’s Y. I wonder what 2020’s X and 2021’s Y will be?

Last year it was the defense. Seems like that panned out eh?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:45 AM »
This is my favorite scoop game and has become quite the tradition; next years X will fix this year’s Y. I wonder what 2020’s X and 2021’s Y will be?

Wojo has done a very poor job constricting a balanced roster and his most balanced roster to date was thanks to Buzz.
You are correct. A freshman PG isn’t going to solve the problems with this team. Howard will have the ball the majority of the time once again next year. He needs to recognize there are four guys on the floor with him.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
Last year it was the defense. Seems like that panned out eh?
We plug one leak and spring another. Not exactly the mark of progress.
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
We plug one leak and spring another. Not exactly the mark of progress.

but NIT 2 seed to NCAA 5 seed is a huge mark of progress. We fixed a huge leak and sprung a smaller one.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
So that is on Markus?
Everyone talks about Markus and hero ball.  Two questions.  1.  Who else could get their own shot.  2.  Bench Markus and what were the options?    Markus played well enough to be BEPOY and second team all American.  Anybody watching g could see he was beat up by the end of the year.   Grimes, Greg, Chart puny panning out could have are a difference.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Howard- 40%
Hauser- 42%
Hauser- 40%
Anim- 39%

With the outside shooting MU can put out there for most of the game, defenses should have been on skates trying to guard them. But the ball never moved enough to force rotations or help. Wonder why that was...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:05:23 AM by MUfan12 »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
Good lord no he is not a point guard.  Not even remotely capable. 

Name one thing he can do to initiate offense that doesn't involve him trying to score?

Name one thing he does that makes his teammates better? 

MSU rolled us because they played together as a team, not only because Morant is an exceptional talent (which he is), but because he is a willing facilitator for his teammates. 

We got rolled because, while Markus is also an exceptional (albeit one-dimensional) talent, he doesn't do anything except dominate the ball and make his teammates almost irrelevant. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Yes. He is a score first PG. Y'all have a very narrow view of what a PG is.

Sure he is a PG in name only, read what wojo said makes ja a great point guard in his post game press conference.  Markus does none of that.  A good makes his teammates better gets them involved n puts the ball in tge right place at tge right time to score easy baskets.  Im sorry but Markus does none of that.  He also doesnt handle tge ball well.  Again he may have PG next to his name on the lineup, but he has none of the qualities of a PG.
He is a good shooting 2G, in fact apart from shooting I cant really think of anything else he dors well.  He does it really well and that makes him very valuable to a team, but he does little to nothing to make his teammates better.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
Everyone talks about Markus and hero ball.  Two questions.  1.  Who else could get their own shot.  2.  Bench Markus and what were the options?    Markus played well enough to be BEPOY and second team all American.  Anybody watching g could see he was beat up by the end of the year.   Grimes, Greg, Chart puny panning out could have are a difference.

Well that was my original point, so I don’t understand your argument as we agree...why does Markus get the blame here? He was asked by his coach to be the Superman, for better or worse. He wasn’t but he was close...but the opponents brought out the kryptonite.

The roster holes are on his coach. As is the blame for the coach asking Markus to do too much.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »
No. Rowsey was a score first pg. Strong dribble with okay passing. But even rowsey wasn't very good. I'd guess that rowsey and Howard have very similar stat lines minus Howard having way more volume of shots

Wrong
U forget rowseys passing ability

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »

Wojo has done a very poor job constructing a balanced roster and his most balanced roster to date was thanks to Buzz.

His most balanced roster was thanks to Buzz? What? Did Buzz send all of this year’s players his way when they made visits to Blacksburg or...?

Unless you’re referring to equally bad players on Wojo’s first team? I’m not sure there was a single position we were better at that year than we were this year...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
but NIT 2 seed to NCAA 5 seed is a huge mark of progress. We fixed a huge leak and sprung a smaller one.
You have to admit that next year’s this will fix this year’s that has become an all too common refrain. Hopefully it ends next year and we can simply celebrate the achievements
No Finish Line

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
McEwen and Elliot should help a lot next year and allow Markus to play off the ball more.  He really didn't have that option this year.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
Well that was my original point, so I don’t understand your argument as we agree...why does Markus get the blame here? He was asked by his coach to be the Superman, for better or worse. He wasn’t but he was close...but the opponents brought out the kryptonite.

The roster holes are on his coach. As is the blame for the coach asking Markus to do too much.

I agree with this hard to blame kid for attempting to be super human and failing.  He was extraordinary in his attempt as was much of his results.  Blame goes on the coach for not having a capable PG on the toster to allow markus to play a position more suitable to his talents.  If we put Sacar at PG would Sacar have been the scapegoat this year? Or should our coach have 2 pgs on the roster each and every year?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »
Marcus Howard’s assist rate: 27.2%. Junior Cadougan his senior (Elite 8) year: 28.3

Markus turnover rate: 18.4.  Junior: 25.8.

Markus usage rate (possessions): 36.1.  Junior: 23.9

Discuss.

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
NO

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2019, 09:37:36 AM »
i agree with this...if MU is routinely at the top of the BEAST and a 5 seed in the tourney i'm not going to complain...and i think they'll get some NCAA wins. 

i don't agree with your comment that markus is a shoot first pg...he isn't a pg.  we've all watched a lot of basketball.  it is not normal...for any player...to get doubled on a screen and have a shooter the caliber of sam h. 10 ft away and not throw him the ball routinely.  i can't believe he doesn't see sam...i do believe he is one of the most selfish players i've ever watched.  wojo's comments showed he was frustrated with this throughout the season as well...wojo's job is to fix this.  next year will be very interesting...and a huge year for wojo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
You have to admit that next year’s this will fix this year’s that has become an all too common refrain. Hopefully it ends next year and we can simply celebrate the achievements

There will always be something to fix, it doesn't matter how good the team is. We went to the freaking final four in 2003 and I guarantee you everyone was talking about what needed to be fixed the following year after we lost.
TAMU

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »
No, to answer the question.

Our offense is extremely clunky. We basically just try to go 1 on 1 with Markus/Hausers most possessions. Very little team ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 09:42:37 AM »
it is not normal...for any player...to get doubled on a screen and have a shooter the caliber of sam h. 10 ft away and not throw him the ball routinely.  i can't believe he doesn't see sam...i do believe he is one of the most selfish players i've ever watched. wojo's comments showed he was frustrated with this throughout the season as well

If Wojo is frustrated, imagine how Sam and Joey feel...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »
There will always be something to fix, it doesn't matter how good the team is. We went to the freaking final four in 2003 and I guarantee you everyone was talking about what needed to be fixed the following year after we lost.
Ok man. You know exactly the refrain I’m referring to. You’re being stubborn. Wojo’s entire tenure is defined by “next year”.
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
Ok man. You know exactly the refrain I’m referring to. You’re being stubborn. Wojo’s entire tenure is defined by “next year”.

See I'm not saying, "forget about this year wait til next season." I'm saying "we had a good season this year and look like we're going to have an even better one next season".
TAMU

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
Howard- 40%
Hauser- 42%
Hauser- 40%
Anim- 39%

With the outside shooting MU can put out there for most of the game, defenses should have been on skates trying to guard them. But the ball never moved enough to force rotations or help. Wonder why that was...

Well stated. Given the high percentage threats we had, we seldom put a great deal of pressure on defenses to try to handle all of them. It's a thing of beauty to watch good teams swing the ball around and get a defense spinning before a wide open 3. I still think our severely undersized team with Acker, Lazar, Cubillan overachieved like crazy because they made themselves very hard to guard with ball movement. This year's team has more talent than that team, but we don't force opponents to deal with the full potential of the shooting threats very often. Hopefully we can incorporate that more next year.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 09:58:06 AM »
See I'm not saying, "forget about this year wait til next season." I'm saying "we had a good season this year and look like we're going to have an even better one next season".
I gotcha TAMU. That’s definitely where our disconnect lies
No Finish Line