'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Markus a point guard?  (Read 7063 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Is Markus a point guard?
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:10 PM »
We saw what a real point guard could do tonight.  Granted, he is a top five NBA pick.  Markus is a great scorer, not a point guard.  Does Wojo make the adjustment next year? Does he drop the M2N goal and do what’s best for the team?  Markus can not see the floor like Ja.  16 assists speaks volumes.  It would take 4-5 games for Markus to get that total. 

Jay Bee as a big fan of yours I’d like your opinion.  Markus is good. Is he good enough at the only position he can possibly play In the NBA?   I know you are a big fan but does this season change your opinion?

Just not sure what to think after seeing what happened tonight.

The Lens

• All American
Re: Is Markus a point guard?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »
No. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:38:49 PM »
No, he is a shooter/scorer.  Nothing new there.  He needs to play off theball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:40:38 PM »
Yes. He is a score first PG. Y'all have a very narrow view of what a PG is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:16 PM »
TAMU,

In your opinion does a point guard have to be able to see the floor and pass the ball to an open teammate?  Because he does not seem to be able to do that.  He does not make his teammates better.

This has been proven objectively based on a large body of evidence this season.  Is he too short or is he just not wired that way?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »
Uh, no

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:40 PM »
Seemingly no. Doesn't have good dribbling or passing. Out of control at times. But reality is he kinda has to play the point.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:07:02 AM »

PGs don’t have Sam flailing their arms yelling I’m open on multiple fast breaks.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 01:14:18 AM »
Markus 2018/9 is a scorer.  There are two ways to turn it for next year:
1.  Keep him on the point, and he needs to average 10 assists per game or lose playing time
2. play him off the ball... give up on the experiment...

I really believe court vision is a "you have it or you don't" thing... and if he doesn't have it by now, it's not going to appear.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 06:48:36 AM »
The only thing he has in common with a PG is his size.  He'd be a #2 but he can't guard anyone.  Poor assist/turnover ratio.

I'll say it- I would not be disappointed if he went to play pro somewhere. His turnovers and long misses lead to break outs on the other end. The offense simply stands around waiting for him to chuck. He's reached his max potential, and next year's team will be the same: +.500 in BE, maybe a NCAA bid with another prompt exit.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 06:52:00 AM »
Knot on my teem, he ain't, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 06:56:31 AM »
We saw what a real point guard could do tonight.  Granted, he is a top five NBA pick.  Markus is a great scorer, not a point guard.  Does Wojo make the adjustment next year? Does he drop the M2N goal and do what’s best for the team?  Markus can not see the floor like Ja.  16 assists speaks volumes.  It would take 4-5 games for Markus to get that total. 

Jay Bee as a big fan of yours I’d like your opinion.  Markus is good. Is he good enough at the only position he can possibly play In the NBA?   I know you are a big fan but does this season change your opinion?

No, you saw what one of the best point guards of the last decade can do.  Only Duke has a one better player.

So your standards are

* transformational player that is capable of one of the best tourney games of the last two decades.
* sucks

Side note - what did not think of Morant one year ago when he scored three points in a first-round loss?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 07:22:34 AM »

No. Rowsey was a score first pg. Strong dribble with okay passing. But even rowsey wasn't very good. I'd guess that rowsey and Howard have very similar stat lines minus Howard having way more volume of shots

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »
It’s not just that he doesn’t make his teammates better, he makes them worse.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 07:30:58 AM »
It’s not just that he doesn’t make his teammates better, he makes them worse.

And his teammates know it.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
Our best offense with Markus on the floor was when he got in an unconscious groove, but the best team offense we saw executed this year was usually when Markus wasn’t in the game. That’s as much his teammates fault as his. Wojo also shares a huge part of the blame.

To answer the question no he’s not a PG by traditional standards. He’s a scorer
No Finish Line

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 07:45:06 AM »
Markus has to play off ball, hopefully kobe mcewen can help out with that next year

NHMUFAN

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »
Clearly he is not a PG.....he is a shooting guard, they do (did) not have a PG on the roster (at least who got playing time), and it ended up being their downfall.

LeftyWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »
No. This is the biggest problem with the team this year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »
I love Markus.  He's a fantastic player and undeniably one of the all-time greats at Marquette.  I'm also pretty confident that he'll be back next year and utterly obliterate MU's all-time scoring record.  I've enjoyed watching him, and I've enjoyed having people who know I'm a Marquette fan approaching me to talk about Markus and MU basketball.

But, he's only an average point guard, at best.  Personally, I give him a lot of credit for carrying this team to a top ten ranking this year while being asked to play out of position.  He's just really not a point guard at heart, but that's where we needed him, and that's where he played.  Even though I'm not in the "Fire Wojo Now!" camp, that's on Wojo.  He had a really nice team this year, but no PG worthy of such a team.  When we signed JC, I hoped he would be good enough to handle the PG duties for the team, but we all saw how that turned out.  Markus did the best he could in the role, but it wasn't great.

Here's hoping that we have someone next year who can handle the ball and we can all enjoy Markus' second straight Big East POY as a 25 ppg shooting guard.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 08:08:24 AM »
He was on this team by default.    I think next year that there will not be just one player who initiates the offense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »

There are lots of real point guards that play basketball, what we saw was an elite one that may be the second player picked.  That kid was something else.  Markus cannot see the court like Ja, neither can anyone else playing college basketball.

FSU has the athletes to run at him and will be interesting to see how the Racers do.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
Markus seems to get the blame here, but he was literally the only one on the active roster who could initiate his own shot.  I said it last year, this team would miss Rowsey’s offense and it did (leaving defense to the side).  That’s on Wojo.

Markus was left to put the entire team on his back, for better or worse.  While there were instances like Georgetown where MU did well with Markus on the bench, coaches would have adjusted and pressed the hell out of MU.  That was only going to be successful in situationals and changes of pace.  Look at the times over the last seven games when Markus was on the bench with fouls and injuries...like yesterday when MU crapped the bed at the end of the 1st half.  I mean, he was a 1st team AA...what happens if he goes pro?

And, what’s this thing about PG? Wojo has said he doesn’t have a PG led offense but wants combo guards. There simply wasn’t another one of on the active roster.  If it’s a guards game as I have been told, where were the guards?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:33:59 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 08:20:09 AM »

And, what’s this thing about PG? Wojo has said he doesn’t have a PG led offense but wants combo guards. There simply wasn’t another one of on the active roster.  If it’s a guards game I have been told, where were the guards?

Grimes went elsewhere, Greg got hurt, Chartouny did not pan out.    Going forward, McEwen, Greg, Akanno, and Torrence all say hi. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
Grimes went elsewhere, Greg got hurt, Chartouny did not pan out.    Going forward, McEwen, Greg, Akanno, and Torrence all say hi.
This is my favorite scoop game and has become quite the tradition; next years X will fix this year’s Y. I wonder what 2020’s X and 2021’s Y will be?

Wojo has done a very poor job constructing a balanced roster and his most balanced roster to date was thanks to Buzz.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:37:54 AM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line