'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upward trajectory of MU/wojo  (Read 9111 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Upward trajectory of MU/wojo
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
Wait ... this thread is about the lack of NCAA wins and you tell us his winning percentage?  Irrelevant!

He lost as a 1-seed last year (only one ever) and if he does it again tomorrow, why shouldn't he be fired using the logic around here?
Actually it’s about Marquette’s upward trajectory and you’re discussing UVA’s coach. Delete your account and permaban yourself. Punch yourself in the forehead while you’re at it  ;D
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »
Jesmu, We are never going to see eye to eye on Wojo's coaching but I do respect you as a member here. I don't believe Wojo is that good of a coach but he is a good recruiter and should be getting more out of his players than he is. Even with tonights loss I would have said this was a successful season with a Big East Conference title but the way we played the last 7 games outside of St. Johns was truly a pathetic performance.

It just blows my mind the way we can never get defensive rebounds. Watching the game today it was like no matter where the shot bounced off the rim the MU player was never in the right position. Its literally impossible to always be on the wrong side of the hoop yet MU seemed to master that tonight and this whole season. I am as big a supporter of MU as the next guy and have had a passion for MU basketball since I was going to games in the late 90's but this team needs a leader and I don't believe its Wojo.

Please do tell me how the limp dick all white team to the west of us seem to find themselves in the s16 literally every year with a fraction of the talent that MU has?

Marquette was top 100 in Defensive Rebounding %. IIRC, they led the Big East this season. They also outrebounded Murray State on the offensive end 19-8. This game may have been deceiving because the offensive rebounds were unbalanced between the halves. MU only allowed 1 offensive board in the first half and then 7 in the second.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 10:49:29 PM »
So, in your opinion, the administration should fire him, watch everyone transfer and we can spend three years finishing 9th or 10th in the BE in hoops that some other unknown assistant with no experience or retread can how turn things around in another 5 years?

Think about how stupid you are and then delete your account.

You know that’s really not what happens when there is a coaching change, right? Yeah, there’s some transfers...but nothing that would deplete the roster the way it happened last time from Buzz.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 10:50:34 PM »
Marquette was top 100 in Defensive Rebounding %. IIRC, they led the Big East this season. They also outrebounded Murray State on the offensive end 19-8. This game may have been deceiving because the offensive rebounds were unbalanced between the halves. MU only allowed 1 offensive board in the first half and then 7 in the second.

Stop using stats, reason and logic.  The trolls here want to make a$$es of themselves with stupid comments.

HowardsWorld, delete your account.  You're too stupid to use the internet.

Actually ... keep your account ... go watch SportsCenter
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »
Scoop is a magical place in the offseason

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
Stop using stats, reason and logic.  The trolls here want to make a$$es of themselves with stupid comments.

HowardsWorld, delete your account.  You're too stupid to use the internet.

Appreciate the support but again, go home. You're drunk
TAMU

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 10:52:28 PM »
So, in a situation where MU wins 25+ games next season, takes the big east conference regular season title outright, makes it to BET championship (and loses) and gets a 3 seed, but loses in the NCAAs... You'd fire him?

I wouldn't.

It’s an interesting question. That would undoubtedly be a successful regular season by any measure.

However, the games that really matter are the ones in the NCAA tournament and they need to start winning them. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Regular season conference championships are fun and all, but do you even remember who won the big east last year?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »
The bar next year should be Wojo wins an NCAA tourney game or should be fired. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 11:08:15 PM »
It's easy to see, but hard to replicate. They have a system, an identity. Guys know their roles and they do it well. They also value the basketball, rarely over help on defense, and are in good positions which helps make up for their lack of foot speed.

MU does absolutely none of that well.

This. Bart talked about Wisconsin in their preview that they can't be as successful because the advantages that they used to have (limit TOs and opposing OReb), EVERYONE does now.  Everyone except for MU.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 11:08:55 PM »
I believe a lot of our problems under wojo would be lessened if we had more "athletes" on the roster. I think wojo realized this after a season or 2 and so went and got Ike, Cain, Elliott. Now going after more of that mold. (Versus Hausers, Henry, etc).

With regards to this season (and the brutal finish over the last month+), I think fatigue, injuries and a short bench/capable depth proved fatal.

I can't explain how Wisconsin is successful without the athletes.

If wojo can rollover success from this season, into another successful 19-20 campaign and sell that to the potential (highly talented) 2020 recruits, I think we'll have a snowball effect with regards to roster talent in the long run. That's what I'm hoping for in the least.

If wojo also happens to significantly improve as a coach as well, then that's the best case scenario. Because I think you can have sustainable success with an average coach with top 75/100 talent. And you can have outstanding and sustainable success with a good/great coach + top 75/100 talent.

Yes.  You are correct. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 11:13:00 PM »
It’s an interesting question. That would undoubtedly be a successful regular season by any measure.

However, the games that really matter are the ones in the NCAA tournament and they need to start winning them. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Regular season conference championships are fun and all, but do you even remember who won the big east last year?

Xavier won the regular season and Villanova the tournament.

Different strokes for different folks. I value regular season results over postseason when judging a coach. I've found that winning consistently in the regular season leads to postseason results, even if it doesn't happen right away. I think deep postseason runs not backed by consistent regular season success are more likely to be indicators of flash in the pan types like Porter Moser, John Groce, Shaka Smart, Andy Enfield.
TAMU

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
Xavier won the regular season and Villanova the tournament.

Different strokes for different folks. I value regular season results over postseason when judging a coach. I've found that winning consistently in the regular season leads to postseason results, even if it doesn't happen right away. I think deep postseason runs not backed by consistent regular season success are more likely to be indicators of flash in the pan types like Porter Moser, John Groce, Shaka Smart, Andy Enfield.

You can debate what's best... Regular season, conference tournament, NCAA. But heading into year 6, it is time for something.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »
You can debate what's best... Regular season, conference tournament, NCAA. But heading into year 6, it is time for something.

I don't see it that way. I was willing to give Wojo time to rebuild. He has. Expectations moving forward are NCAA virtually every year, high seeds most years, sweet 16 or better every few years.
TAMU

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 11:39:37 PM »
Big fan of our program. I love this roster. I'm very pleased with the trajectory of MU basketball. Looking forward to continued success. Here's hoping the administration will give wojo an extension this off-season to lock down the 2020 class where we appear to be in great position with top talent.

Trajectory of the program?? We were just humiliated on the first day of The Big Dance by a mid-major.

Frankly, I would rather not get invited than to be shamed on the National Stage as we have been under Wojo. The man has made the tournament twice and in the event he dishonored the Marquette name by being not just unprepared but wholly non-competitive.

In classical Rome or medieval Japan a disgraced leader would fall on his sword after such an abysmal performance. 

Rewarding Wojo for the embarrassment of this March is imprudently ill-advised.  I find the very thought of remunerating such shameful performance hateful.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
For those familiar with the Mike Deane era, how does Wojo’s tenure thus far compare? It looks like Deane had five seasons and two NCAA appearances. I’m guessing Deane started with more talent. I think I’ve heard recruiting was an issue with Deane. At the five year mark, Deane has the better winning percentage and marginally more tourney success. Not trying to prove any sort of point, honestly just asking for some perspective from those older than myself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:44:35 PM by Oregon Warrior »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:00 PM »
For those familiar with the Mike Deane era, how does Wojo’s tenure thus far compare? It looks like Deane had five seasons and two NCAA appearances. I’m guessing Deane started with more talent. I think I’ve heard recruiting was an issue with Deane. At the five year mark, Deane has the better winning percentage and marginally more tourney success. Not trying to prove any sort of point, honestly just asking for some perspective from those older than myself.

Five years in the overall results are similar, but the story is different. Deane had success early on with KO guys, but the program was falling at the end. Recruiting was the big issue.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 11:55:09 PM »

Deano's trajectory was decidedly downward precisely because he wasn't all that interested in recruiting. Once he lost KO's players the winning became harder.

It could be argued that Wojo's has made progress from whence he came but the last month, including today's humiliation at the hands of mid-major, is a telling punctuation to an other shameful end.

Wojo is in over his head. Basta!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:17 PM »

Deans inherited a team coming off the Sweet 16 with Hutch coming in. 2 NBA draft picks who were freshmen in 93-94 in Crawford and Amal. He rode them and the 96 and 97 teams were incredibly talented. The talent level left by KO dropped off and Deane’s last recruiting class was just the #18 player in Indiana. Wojo has upgraded talent.  Bart Miller, Polo, Clausen, Mueller. Great students and kids but not D1 players.

He does get credit for Wardle and the Cordell/Harris/Olumna/Diggs class of 2002 but it was too little too late.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:59:10 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 12:02:13 AM »
Correct, comparing Deane to Wojo is completely incorrect.  Wojo is light years ahead of Deane at this point in their tenures.  Next year will be incredibly good if we get a point guard.  Deane had zero chance at reaching an NCAA tournament at the end of his stewardship let alone getting blown out in an MCAA game.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »
Wojo has upgraded talent. 

Compared with what? There is no comparison between Weird Bert's classes and Wojo's. Bert brought in phenomenal talent that was top of the pack competitive in the Old Big East and made deep runs in The Dance.

Buzzard's talent level dropped because of Pilarz and Williams.

But to compare the talent level of Wojo's recruits with Buzz' is laughable.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:19 AM »
I don't see it that way. I was willing to give Wojo time to rebuild. He has. Expectations moving forward are NCAA virtually every year, high seeds most years, sweet 16 or better every few years.

Just a few years ago, there was plenty of chatter here talking about Wojo's 2018-2019 season. Year five, the pieces in place, his guys, etc. The expectations started this year.

Well, here we are. Sadly it was a season that completely fell apart at the end. The disturbing part is that it was much more than just one poor performance, bad matchup or bad break.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 12:28:21 AM »
Next year is the year.  No further excuses.  You will not have to wait long.   If you cannot see that he needs one more year you are short sighted.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 01:37:51 AM »
So, in your opinion, the administration should fire him, watch everyone transfer and we can spend three years finishing 9th or 10th in the BE in hoops that some other unknown assistant with no experience or retread can how turn things around in another 5 years?

Think about how stupid you are and then delete your account.
First, I firmly believe Wojo gets another year and earns hopefully more.
Second,  your post is stupid. The idea that "everyone " will transfer is ignorant and speaks to what you think about Marquette.  MU is a great university. the players may come primarily for a coach but not only for the coach. Name me one time every player transferred after a coaching change?
Please go hate on another University. Real fans know how great we are.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »
Compared with what? There is no comparison between Weird Bert's classes and Wojo's. Bert brought in phenomenal talent that was top of the pack competitive in the Old Big East and made deep runs in The Dance.

Buzzard's talent level dropped because of Pilarz and Williams.

But to compare the talent level of Wojo's recruits with Buzz' is laughable.
Helps the talent look markedly better when you can scheme to your strengths on the court and construct a balanced roster hey?
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 07:13:28 AM »
Big fan of our program. I love this roster. I'm very pleased with the trajectory of MU basketball. Looking forward to continued success. Here's hoping the administration will give wojo an extension this off-season to lock down the 2020 class where we appear to be in great position with top talent.
Nice spin for an absurd opinion.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.