Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upward trajectory of MU/wojo  (Read 9117 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Upward trajectory of MU/wojo
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »
Big fan of our program. I love this roster. I'm very pleased with the trajectory of MU basketball. Looking forward to continued success. Here's hoping the administration will give wojo an extension this off-season to lock down the 2020 class where we appear to be in great position with top talent.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Upward trajectory of MU/wojo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »
100% agree.

Everyone should take the names of the less than 100 post morons bashing the program.  They are trolls that deserve no respect.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »
Eh.

Don't know what else to say.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »
Couldn't disagree more. He has shown literally nothing over the 5 years he has been here. Regular season means absolutely nothing after the colossal collapse.  It was not even a game tonight they were simply run out of the freaking building. Embarrassing for the program to be honest.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Couldn't disagree more. He has shown literally nothing over the 5 years he has been here. Regular season means absolutely nothing after the colossal collapse.  It was not even a game tonight they were simply run out of the freaking building. Embarrassing for the program to be honest.

So, in your opinion, the administration should fire him, watch everyone transfer and we can spend three years finishing 9th or 10th in the BE in hoops that some other unknown assistant with no experience or retread can how turn things around in another 5 years?

Think about how stupid you are and then delete your account.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
Jesmu, We are never going to see eye to eye on Wojo's coaching but I do respect you as a member here. I don't believe Wojo is that good of a coach but he is a good recruiter and should be getting more out of his players than he is. Even with tonights loss I would have said this was a successful season with a Big East Conference title but the way we played the last 7 games outside of St. Johns was truly a pathetic performance.

It just blows my mind the way we can never get defensive rebounds. Watching the game today it was like no matter where the shot bounced off the rim the MU player was never in the right position. Its literally impossible to always be on the wrong side of the hoop yet MU seemed to master that tonight and this whole season. I am as big a supporter of MU as the next guy and have had a passion for MU basketball since I was going to games in the late 90's but this team needs a leader and I don't believe its Wojo.

Please do tell me how the limp dick all white team to the west of us seem to find themselves in the s16 literally every year with a fraction of the talent that MU has?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:54 PM »
So, in your opinion, the administration should fire him, watch everyone transfer and we can spend three years finishing 9th or 10th in the BE in hoops that some other unknown assistant with no experience or retread can how turn things around in another 5 years?

How about you think about how Stupid you are for believing in a coach who has got us 2 NIT wins over 5 years.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »
How about you think about how Stupid you are for believing in a coach who has got us 2 NIT wins over 5 years.
Lmao
No Finish Line

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »

Agreed, cannot fire Wojo at this time.  Rebuild would take too long.  We went through that not that long ago and we are still recovering from it.  Wojo needs at least another year.  Sam and Markus as seniors is too great of an opportunity to blow it up now.  Hopefully Koby, Greg and an improved Jamal can bring some much needed athleticism and make this team more complete.  I realize I should not be allowed to post because I don't have 100+ posts and should delete my account. ;D

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »
Jesmu, We are never going to see eye to eye on Wojo's coaching but I do respect you as a member here. I don't believe Wojo is that good of a coach but he is a good recruiter and should be getting more out of his players than he is. Even with tonights loss I would have said this was a successful season with a Big East Conference title but the way we played the last 7 games outside of St. Johns was truly a pathetic performance.

It just blows my mind the way we can never get defensive rebounds. Watching the game today it was like no matter where the shot bounced off the rim the MU player was never in the right position. Its literally impossible to always be on the wrong side of the hoop yet MU seemed to master that tonight and this whole season. I am as big a supporter of MU as the next guy and have had a passion for MU basketball since I was going to games in the late 90's but this team needs a leader and I don't believe its Wojo.

Please do tell me how the limp dick all white team to the west of us seem to find themselves in the s16 literally every year with a fraction of the talent that MU has?

I believe a lot of our problems under wojo would be lessened if we had more "athletes" on the roster. I think wojo realized this after a season or 2 and so went and got Ike, Cain, Elliott. Now going after more of that mold. (Versus Hausers, Henry, etc).

With regards to this season (and the brutal finish over the last month+), I think fatigue, injuries and a short bench/capable depth proved fatal.

I can't explain how Wisconsin is successful without the athletes.

If wojo can rollover success from this season, into another successful 19-20 campaign and sell that to the potential (highly talented) 2020 recruits, I think we'll have a snowball effect with regards to roster talent in the long run. That's what I'm hoping for in the least.

If wojo also happens to significantly improve as a coach as well, then that's the best case scenario. Because I think you can have sustainable success with an average coach with top 75/100 talent. And you can have outstanding and sustainable success with a good/great coach + top 75/100 talent.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »
There is a territory roughly the size of China between thinking Wojo is the end all/be all and wanting him summarily dismissed.

I don't drink any more, so it's hard to get to either of those equally outrageous positions.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »
I can't explain how Wisconsin is successful without the athletes.

It's easy to see, but hard to replicate. They have a system, an identity. Guys know their roles and they do it well. They also value the basketball, rarely over help on defense, and are in good positions which helps make up for their lack of foot speed.

MU does absolutely none of that well.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
The end result in year 5 sucked for Wojo.  If it happens next year (i.e. no NCAA tourney wins), he needs to be fired.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 10:22:37 PM »
The end result in year 5 sucked for Wojo.  If it happens next year (i.e. no NCAA tourney wins), he needs to be fired.

My opinion on keeping/firing wojo at the end of next season will not be dependent on 1 game. But I can understand your position

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »
I also do not believe Wojo needs to be fired but learn how to do in game adjustments more. A firing now would set the team back another 5 years for a total of 10 years since we were relevant.

I do believe next year is the year we finally break through. I am just bitter because I thought this year was finally the year we would make some noise.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
My opinion on keeping/firing wojo at the end of next season will not be dependent on 1 game. But I can understand your position
Really? You wouldn’t say right now that if Wojo goes 1 and done again next year he should lose his job? I can definitely say I would
No Finish Line

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »
Let's ask a non-emotional question (for us here) ...

If Tony Bennett loses again tomorrow, should he be fired?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:31 PM »
Really? You wouldn’t say right now that if Wojo goes 1 and done again next year he should lose his job? I can definitely say I would

So, in a situation where MU wins 25+ games next season, takes the big east conference regular season title outright, makes it to BET championship (and loses) and gets a 3 seed, but loses in the NCAAs... You'd fire him?

I wouldn't.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 10:34:49 PM »
So, in a situation where MU wins 25+ games next season, takes the big east conference regular season title outright, makes it to BET championship (and loses) and gets a 3 seed, but loses in the NCAAs... You'd fire him?

I wouldn't.
If he can’t win in the tourney with next year’s team he doesn’t have much hope as a coach
No Finish Line

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 10:39:03 PM »

Tony Bennett has a a career .722 winning percentage and has rebuilt two terrible programs; one into a national championship contender. Try again.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »

Superbar?
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
100% agree.

Everyone should take the names of the less than 100 post morons bashing the program.  They are trolls that deserve no respect.

Heise, you're drunk. Go home.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 10:43:30 PM »
Tony Bennett has a a career .722 winning percentage and has rebuilt to terrible programs, one into a national championship contender. Try again.

Wait ... this thread is about the lack of NCAA wins and you tell us his winning percentage?  Irrelevant!

He lost as a 1-seed last year (only one ever) and if he does it again tomorrow, why shouldn't he be fired using the logic around here?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 10:44:28 PM »
Heise, you're drunk. Go home.

I'll go watch SportsCenter

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:06 PM »

I’m not saying they should fire the guy but with this logic, a program should never fire a bad coach out of fear of rebuilding. Thumbs up emoji.