[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Murray State.... and beyond.  (Read 14482 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Murray State.... and beyond.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »
Not always.   But they are usually realistic.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 08:40:03 PM »

Re #4 Their real fat guy in the middle didn't look all that fast - thought he overpowered Theo and Morrow.

Re #6 Bailey will become a good player

The Marquette people I was with thought he was the incarnation of Davante Gardner.

Bailey should be vastly improved next year to boot.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »
1.  I had the foresight to park in the Front Street district away from the heavily congested XL.
2.  The rain in Hartford held off.
3.  Next week baseball season starts.
4.  It was great to see NYWarrior and JT92 who I have not seen in awhile.
5.  I had a great conversation with some alumni from Boston and St. Louis over a beer at City Steam. Thanks for coming to town.  And had fun at the game with the Alum and his son who I went with.
6.  Is it a Kentucky and basketball thing as I thought there were surprisingly a ton of Murray State fans.
7. This totally sucks horribly losing, but we were at least there and  this team should be way better next year as everyone should improve and we have players coming in who should help fill the known defecencies.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
8) Wojo changes? 5 years. Recruit faster players, better athletes, more skilled players, more lateral quickness at both ends of the floor.

Today, terrible transition defense. Not much excuse for that.  Terrible assist count offensively, not sharing the ball, crisp with pace, making the extra pass with confident purpose. Not matching the intensity of the opponent.

Murray St. is good, and they played well. As a program they have done this before. Use speed, athleticism, ability to not only get to paint, but knock down shots.

MU needs a skilled athletic front court player. It needs better ball handling and being stronger on the ball. Turnover problem pattern for a long time, many unforced.

If Howard stays, and McEwen is as good as expected, with Greg foming back, add an athletic skilled 4-5 if Morrow nor John can be that.

But the long term recruiting pattern is there. Needs a bit more athletic, bouncy, speed, but still skilled players at both ends.

5 years, 2 NCAA’s, 0 wins, poor conference tourney record, 0 finals, and only 2 top 5 league finishes. The expectations with Wojo moving forward are much higher than that considering his resources and considering the amount of time he has already had. That is reasonable.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »

They have improved nearly every year under Wojo.  They may not be improving quickly enough, and I can understand that frustration, but they aren't firing him now.

Everyone has different expectations.

I had the good fortunate to see great coaching at Marquette. I have also seen mediocrity. Wojo has risen from mediocrity to mediocrity plus. The administration will accept that level of performance. I think MU should expect more but the administration has other expectations. They would like to compete at a high level but without a change that will only be an unfulfilled dream. So life goes on and the world will not come to an end and MU basketball will reflect the expectations of the administration. 
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »

6.  Is it a Kentucky and basketball thing as I thought there were surprisingly a ton of Murray State fans.

Murray State has a nice fan base. They are on steroids this season. The OVC in Indiana in 2018 had 3k for the title game vs Belmont. The rematch was over 10k this year.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:38 PM »
Murray State has a nice fan base. They are on steroids this season. The OVC in Indiana in 2018 had 3k for the title game vs Belmont. The rematch was over 10k this year.

The Missouri Valley passing on Murray State and Belmont was a puzzler for me
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »

Belmont and the Nashville market to the Big East.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 09:08:26 PM »

Very good fan base for Murray St. for a long time.  Murray St. is close to Nashville. Belmont, Lipscomb, Nashville schools, lots of good ball and fans in those areas too.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »
MU needs more playmakers and creators.  Today showed it.  It seems unbalanced rosters is a Wojo thing. MU current and future rosters need to get more athletic and stronger.

Will he recruit and land Chicagoland hs kids?  Will he land any of the Milwaukee area studs?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:01 PM »
MU needs more playmakers and creators.  Today showed it.  It seems unbalanced rosters is a Wojo thing. MU current and future rosters need to get more athletic and stronger.

Will he recruit and land Chicagoland hs kids?  Will he land any of the Milwaukee area studs?
Can’t imagine days like today help his cause in that space
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:58 PM »

This has been the single biggest problem since he has gotten here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 09:21:30 PM »
And one more.  UConn fans at the bar were asking the MU alums if they could come back to the Big East.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »

They have improved nearly every year under Wojo.  They may not be improving quickly enough, and I can understand that frustration, but they aren't firing him now.
This cliche about Wojo is wrong, and I don't know why I see it so much on here.  This year's team was grossly overrated due to a misleadingly bad Big East.  Just because they were assigned a 5 seed in the tournament doesn't mean they were a Top 20 team in the country (and many analytics including 538, others agree with that).  The best team we've had under Wojo beat National Champion Nova and bowed out to South Carolina (a Final Four team).  And the craziest part - the heartbeat of that team included multiple BUZZ PLAYERS.  Wojo is a very, very mediocre coach and there is no discernible trajectory for the program at this point.  After next year - Sam, Markus, Sacar will graduate.  He basically has one more chance to do something with the team HE HAS BUILT.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »
And one more.  UConn fans at the bar were asking the MU alums if they could come back to the Big East.

Did you make them buy you beers for your significant influence?  It sounds like they were begging.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
For all of you saying athleticism will help...SJU was one of the most athletic teams in the country, where did that get them?? Wojo's comments in the JS article really REALLY piss me off even more...talked about having to "examine" why they didn't pkay well the last 7 games of the season...Uhhh you should have had that figured out after the 2nd straight loss...more proof he has no idea what he's doing.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 09:29:30 PM »

Who cares where they come from?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »
Strive for nothin' and y'all hit it every tyme, hey?

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes
Honey, you can't hide your lyin' eyes
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »
For all of you saying athleticism will help...SJU was one of the most athletic teams in the country, where did that get them?? Wojo's comments in the JS article really REALLY piss me off even more...talked about having to "examine" why they didn't pkay well the last 7 games of the season...Uhhh you should have had that figured out after the 2nd straight loss...more proof he has no idea what he's doing.
Just a silly argument. Obviously athletiscm alone will not get you far, but it can be a big factor and usually is. Having no athleticism can screw your team

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
Who cares where they come from?

Because it is on your doorstep and the talent pool is there? Wojo seems to ignore Chicagoland.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
I guess we all know how Kentucky fans felt in 2003 with Dwyane's triple double.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »

He didn't say they are firing him. He asked a question.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:49:51 PM by WhiteTrash »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »
Because it is on your doorstep and the talent pool is there? Wojo seems to ignore Chicagoland.

Morrow is from Chicago

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
Morrow is from Chicago

My original post said "recruit hs kids", not transfers or walk-ons. Wojo doesn't even seem to dip his toe South of the Cheddar Curtain. It's intentional and I don't know why (and I am not just talking CPS kids).

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 04:44:38 AM »
Methinks recruiting Chicagoland and running a clean program might be mutually exclusive.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback