[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What is the minimum performance for next year to keep Wojoat the helm?

No significant off-court issues
12 (8.9%)
20 wins
4 (3%)
Top 3 BE
10 (7.4%)
Win BE
8 (5.9%)
NCAA bid
24 (17.8%)
NCAA win
41 (30.4%)
Sweet 16
31 (23%)
Better than that
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: March 28, 2019, 12:28:18 PM

Author Topic: What must Wojo do to keep his job?  (Read 7124 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What must Wojo do to keep his job?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2019, 04:17:22 PM »
Whole body of work is all that matters. Losing in the tournament sucks, but they're not going to fire a coach for losing 1 game. 

I think Wojo is like...completely safe.  But I would say the heat would get hot if he somehow misses the tourney next season.  But I doubt that happens.

If he misses the tourney next season and there aren't SIGNIFICANT extenuating circumstances -- such as Markus and both Hausers getting hurt -- I would join those who want to put heat on Wojo.

I'm similar to TAMU in my support. I see a gradual upward trend, a coach learning, talent improving, wish it were happening faster, hated the last 23 days of the season, look forward to a very good 2019-20 season. But despite my defense of Wojo most of the time, it's not a forever thing. He has to keep showing progress.

I happen to think that's reasonable. More than that, though, I'm quite sure it's pragmatic because he isn't going to get fired and it's out of our control, so I choose to be positive and optimistic.

We are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »
Whole body of work is all that matters. Losing in the tournament sucks, but they're not going to fire a coach for losing 1 game. 

I think Wojo is like...completely safe.  But I would say the heat would get hot if he somehow misses the tourney next season.  But I doubt that happens.

+1.  If there's any heat at all, that is.

At the end of the day, Wojo is the head coach.  He has an entire staff dedicated to shaping, training, forming, preparing, and teaching his players.  He isn't going anywhere unless he trusts his staff and the players to execute the plan, and ultimately, if execution fails, it is still his vision that should be judged first.  (When you judge first on execution, you end up with guys like Andy Enfield or Tom Crean running your program.)

That said, you can only fail in execution so many times before your vision itself is deemed a failure.  After all, even a moron can score 25% on the SAT.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2019, 06:01:27 PM »
It don't matta ta me if da coach is 4-26, wins da conference tourney, den goes on a 6 game Big Dance winnin' streak and is NCAA Champ. In my opinion, da dude is golden. Won in March and dat's how eye judge, hey?

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

The coaches that win the most regular-season games are also the coaches that win the most tournament games and national titles. Here are the 5 winningest active Division I coaches, ranked by career wins, along with how they've done in the NCAA tournament:

1. 1131  Mike Krzyzewski - 94 NCAA tournament wins (1st), 5 national titles
2. 946  Jim Boeheim - 60 NCAA wins (3rd), 1 national title
3. 871  Roy Williams - 77 NCAA wins (2nd), 3 national titles
4. 857  Bob Huggins - 33 NCAA wins (7th)
5. 707  John Calipari - 53 NCAA wins (4th), 1 national title

To have a chance to win in March, you have to win November through February.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
Call it what you will, it was emotional and hate is an emotion.

We’ve all been emotional and say odd things regarding MU athletics and Sports in general, yours truly included.  But when you do it over and over and over like you do, it sure feels like hatred...they aren’t one offs.
Yeah I get emotional when we crap the bed like we did  but I don't hate Wojo
I dont even know the guy. But when I see crap like we played, that tells me the guy cant coach. He is overpaid and overrated ad a coach. Call that hate. But you and others should not throw those opinions around. But then again  it seems that happens a lot nowadays. Many simply call somebody a hater if that person has a different view
 In my opinion, people that do that are snowflakes.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback