[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who Do You Blame for the Loss?

Wojo
Refs
Markus's Wrist
Player(s) - Execution was terrible
Selection Committee - MU was overseeded
Brent Williams - Empty cupboard
Nobody - Ja Morant is a lottery pick

Author Topic: Who Do You Blame for the Murray State Loss?  (Read 16242 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Who Do You Blame for the Murray State Loss?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Can you provide some examples to this?

No. He doesn't.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »
Can you provide some examples to this?

Like the Song goes:  If you don't know me by now::
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2019, 05:47:52 PM »
Wonder if now, watching FSU’s defensive gameplan vs Morant is when Wojo is realizing his initial plan was bad and his refusal to adjust was even worse
No Finish Line

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
Turns out Murray State just has one guy.  And Wojo’s game plan was grade school at best.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
Wonder if now, watching FSU’s defensive gameplan vs Morant is when Wojo is realizing his initial plan was bad and his refusal to adjust was even worse

FSU, length, athletic, speed, slashers. Playing Morant straight up, not rotating, letting him get his points, other players are not.  FSU on fire though

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »

The bigger question is if Wojo is humble enough to see the flaws in his own decisions and to then consider other views. He strikes me as a little aloof. Not willing to compromise.

When it works, he's brilliant. When it doesn't, someone else is at fault.

Clearly FSU saw something in the tape that Wojo and crew didn't. These guys actually look like they're a top team playing against a mid major right now.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »
Turns out Murray State just has one guy.  And Wojo’s game plan was grade school at best.

Yup, after seeing this...looking like it’s squarley on Wojo now. Just completely whiffed on the game plan.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
Look at the difference in athleticsm.  Murray way more athletic than mu
Fsu waay way way more athletic than murray
Its that simple
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »
When it works, he's brilliant. When it doesn't, someone else is at fault.

I'm legitimately asking - have you ever heard Wojo blame anyone other than himself?

FSU was hitting everything first half.  But yes, guarding straight up and not allowing easy assists(tm) is working better than Wojo's plan.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
Wojo’s game plan was brutal.  Period. We’ve beaten athletic teams this year.  His miscalculation in defensive tactics was nothing short of brutal. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »
I'm legitimately asking - have you ever heard Wojo blame anyone other than himself?

FSU was hitting everything first half.  But yes, guarding straight up and not allowing easy assists(tm) is working better than Wojo's plan.

In a presser? No. But he knows when to say the right things. Hes a PR dream. I'm not convinced he believes what he says, though.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »
Yep murray st not that good. The idea we should consistently lose to them by double digits is nonsensical. Turns out just a broken gameplan on the both ends of the floor. Hero ball and isos on offense while guys stand around and a broken defense with zero adjustments. I can not believe how many wide open shots they had. Haven't said this once all year but this is mostly on wojo. Secondly it's the inexcusable lack of speed on this team jeez

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2019, 06:03:23 PM »

I think this inadvertently points to the biggest problem we've had under Wojo, which is recruiting. Florida State has a bazillion guys that are 6'6"+ with 7-foot wingspans that can man Morant. We tried Anim & Bailey and neither could do it.

The problem is recruiting. Our best offensive players are generally average at best defenders. Our best defensive players are generally average offensively. The only guy above average on both ends is Sam Hauser. Otherwise, Markus, Joey, Sacar, Theo, Ed, & Bailey are all notably better on one end than the other.

Maybe it's just a matter of time, we've at least seen Wojo can build a competent unit on both ends. But the patience part can be difficult at times, especially when the bottom falls out as dramatically as it did this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »
My favorite response for who is at fault is the Ja Morant being a lottery pick choice.   ::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
Aisle go ya won bedder. Evaluation of talent sucks two. Wojo hasta commit ta an offensive and defensive style of ball and recruit four it. How wood y'all describe Coach's signature offens and defense, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2019, 06:11:41 PM »
I think this inadvertently points to the biggest problem we've had under Wojo, which is recruiting. Florida State has a bazillion guys that are 6'6"+ with 7-foot wingspans that can man Morant. We tried Anim & Bailey and neither could do it.

The problem is recruiting. Our best offensive players are generally average at best defenders. Our best defensive players are generally average offensively. The only guy above average on both ends is Sam Hauser. Otherwise, Markus, Joey, Sacar, Theo, Ed, & Bailey are all notably better on one end than the other.

Maybe it's just a matter of time, we've at least seen Wojo can build a competent unit on both ends. But the patience part can be difficult at times, especially when the bottom falls out as dramatically as it did this year.

watching FSU right now has me thinking our ineffectiveness vs Murray State was more driven by personell vs game plan. FSU's long and lanky dudes are disrupting passing lanes and making assists difficult.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
watching FSU right now has me thinking our ineffectiveness vs Murray State was more driven by personell vs game plan. FSU's long and lanky dudes are disrupting passing lanes and making assists difficult.

Bailey is 6’8 no?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
Yup, after seeing this...looking like it’s squarley on Wojo now. Just completely whiffed on the game plan.
Kind of funny how Wojo has whiffed lots over his 5 years, but thankfully he is trending upward.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »
Look at the difference in athleticsm.  Murray way more athletic than mu
Fsu waay way way more athletic than murray
Its that simple
That’s part of it but it’s more than that. FSU is conceding Morant will get his and shutting everyone else down so he’s been reduced to a one man show.

I don’t even fault Wojo for his initial plan as much as I do his inability or unwillingness to adjust
No Finish Line

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »

I agree with this, but it’s been 5 years. Waiting to see if it’s just a matter of time is getting old.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
That’s part of it but it’s more than that. FSU is conceding Morant will get his and shutting everyone else down so he’s been reduced to a one man show. ]
I don’t even fault Wojo for his initial plan as much as I do his inability or unwillingness to adjust

Bingo. The difference between a seasoned  accomplished coach and a young guy trying to make a name for himself is the willingness to realize you're not a genius.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:33:22 PM by skianth16 »

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
Looking at what Florida State is doing to the Murray State juggernaut that roled over us, it is clear who's at fault for the loss.

If I have to hear the announcers say what a great game plan Hamilton put in place to keep MS from doing what they want to do once more, I'm going to puke.

I can't help but think back to Kevin O'Neil using a triangle and two vs. Kentucky, I think, to neutralize their stud in the NCAAs in 1993 (?).  Had not used it at any time previously at Marquette but the team was so we'll prepared that they executed it perfectly and won the game. 

What a difference a coach who can game plan and adjust can make...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »
I’ll also say I’m sad I didn’t go out of my way to watch more of Morant this year. That kid’s game is absolutely incredible and he’s going to be a dynamite PG in the NBA
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
Looking at what Florida State is doing to the Murray State juggernaut that roled over us, it is clear who's at fault for the loss.

If I have to hear the announcers say what a great game plan Hamilton put in place to keep MS from doing what they want to do once more, I'm going to puke.

I can't help but think back to Kevin O'Neil using a triangle and two vs. Kentucky, I think, to neutralize their stud in the NCAAs in 1993 (?).  Had not used it at any time previously at Marquette but the team was so we'll prepared that they executed it perfectly and won the game. 

What a difference a coach who can game plan and adjust can make...
You are right. Maybe we need to start asking a key question
What the hell did Wojo learn in his 15-20 years at Duke, besides how to make awesome power points?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »
Bailey is 6’8 no?

Yes but he's just one guy