[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I’ll Eat Crow  (Read 7228 times)

nyg

• All American
I’ll Eat Crow
« on: March 21, 2019, 05:53:53 PM »
I thought there was no way MSU would win this game based on their OVC schedule and probably their two star recruits.  Yes, Morant was found late in high school.  I also believed MU would come out and play with intensity, coming off a bad stretch of losses and getting a five seed in the tournament.  So adamant, now I have to eat it....

Well, it just goes to show you what a player like Morant can do for a team and make them play like a team, not a two man show.  Morant just got a triple double and the hype is very, very, deserving for the kid.  Once he fills out, he will have an NBA body and will be very rich in a few months.  Best player MU has faced this year.

The MU problem really effected them with the Georgetown loss.  On senior night, at home, 11 point favorite, playing for BE title against a team that lost by 30 to DePaul two nights earlier.  I truly believe a win that night and a share of BE title would have helped mentally.

Lots of discussion will happen tonight, reference changes, etc, so let it begin and hope some are civil.

Wojo, he stays
Markus, he stays, never make NBA, his chances down toilet last three weeks.
I say one guy transfer to like the University of Detroit
Kobe point guard next year, Sacar off bench, Joey hits weights.  All good.

Congrats on making NCAAs, but big disappointment .

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: I’ll Eat Crow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
Good take.  Unlike most of the hot takes here.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:23 PM »
Congrats to Murray State. The better and tougher team won.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
Jay Avila’s wring I guess
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
The problem wasn't losing to Georgetown. We have problems that caused us to lose to Georgetown, Seton Hall (2x), Nova, SJU, and MSU. One of those problems tends to wear a navy suit and is found pacing the sidelines.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:03:39 PM »
Where is arrogant tower with the match ups or crap shoot excuse? Just cant wait to here this garbage.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 06:08:58 PM »
Where is arrogant tower with the match ups or crap shoot excuse? Just cant wait to here this garbage.

? Tower is one of the most balanced posters here.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
? Tower is one of the most balanced posters here.
But Johnny’s not.

Thanks for coming Johnny. Drive home safely.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 06:12:16 PM »
Agree with most of the original post.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:33 PM »
But Johnny’s not.

Thanks for coming Johnny. Drive home safely.
Where am I unbalanced? Honestly I am over the game. Saying keep wojo one more year unless there is significant improvement. Are people crazy for getting pissed about this game. You're crazy if you dont throw some shade at this team rn

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
Today was a day we really missed Greg Elliott.  Athletic guards gave us problems all year and Morant was the best one we faced.  He was fantastic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 07:40:28 PM »

Just because I accurately predicted a double digit loss and accurately predicted why, I am arrogant?    OK.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 07:41:32 PM »
Just because I accurately predicted a double digit loss and accurately predicted why, I am arrogant?    OK.   
It was a knee jerk post. Carry on good sir

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
Everybody is frustrated Johnny.    It takes a lot more than that to piss me off. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »

Where are your game breakdown notes. That is all.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 07:45:42 PM »
Where am I unbalanced? Honestly I am over the game. Saying keep wojo one more year unless there is significant improvement. Are people crazy for getting pissed about this game. You're crazy if you dont throw some shade at this team rn
Keep demanding excellence Johnny . MU deserves it.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
Keep demanding excellence Johnny . MU deserves it.
Is this sarcasm? Anyways I'm not demanding excellence. I wasnt even mad they lost. I haven't gotten this upset over a game in years. It was just how they lost. How helpless and lost these final stretch of games went. Just utter collapse. I made some knee jerk posts but I'm good now. My bad

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
While  I might fall into Rocky’s Hot Take category with my anti Wojo rhetoric (can’t help it, it’s therapeutic) I will add this:

We’re the 17th team in the tourney and I’d rather play any other 11 seed (of which there are 6) and any other 12 (3 others). 

So 9 “better” opponents that we much rather have played.  We were a 5 seed that played a 6 or 7 seed. 

That said, we lost 6 of our last 7.  We have lots of issues. Not just seeeing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 07:57:05 PM »
Where are your game breakdown notes. That is all.

Just posted.   Had to watch the game on DVR, do crap around the house, and get my kid to bed before I could sit down to post. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
Today was a day we really missed Greg Elliott.  Athletic guards gave us problems all year and Morant was the best one we faced.  He was fantastic.

Did we, though? Greg had some good moments last year, but I didn't see anything from him that made me think he would have been a real game changer this year. He wouldn't have taken any minutes from Sacar. Maybe some from Chartouny, but Greg wasn't a ballhandler last year. We didn't even get to see if he's got much court vision.

He was a pretty good defender, but I don't think he's any better than Bailey. If anything, Bailey may have the edge there because of his length. Greg wouldn't have been able to slow down Morant today any better than Sacar or Bailey.

I think the expectations for Greg for next year are getting to be way too high. He may end up in a similar role as Jamal did this year. Greg will be behind Markus, Koby, and Sacar most likely. If Markus can improve the TOs, and Koby can be a better option than JC was this year, then Greg might see pretty limited minutes. I like the kid, but he's going to really have to work to earn minutes next year.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »
Did we, though? Greg had some good moments last year, but I didn't see anything from him that made me think he would have been a real game changer this year. He wouldn't have taken any minutes from Sacar. Maybe some from Chartouny, but Greg wasn't a ballhandler last year. We didn't even get to see if he's got much court vision.

He was a pretty good defender, but I don't think he's any better than Bailey. If anything, Bailey may have the edge there because of his length. Greg wouldn't have been able to slow down Morant today any better than Sacar or Bailey.

I think the expectations for Greg for next year are getting to be way too high. He may end up in a similar role as Jamal did this year. Greg will be behind Markus, Koby, and Sacar most likely. If Markus can improve the TOs, and Koby can be a better option than JC was this year, then Greg might see pretty limited minutes. I like the kid, but he's going to really have to work to earn minutes next year.

Theres a ton of unwarranted hype on Elliot being our savior PG. He showed 0% towards being a capable pg last year. Theres a lot of "hope" his hand is what brought him down, but thats what it is, hope.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
I don't think he would have been a PG this year by any means.  I think he would have been our best perimeter defender and done well v. Morant.  Better than Bailey did, who hustled, but wasn't stellar by any means.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
I don't think he would have been a PG this year by any means.  I think he would have been our best perimeter defender and done well v. Morant.  Better than Bailey did, who hustled, but wasn't stellar by any means.

I think he's behind Sacar, Brendan, and Jamal as a defensive player. When he filled in for Rowsey or Markus last year, he was certainly an improvement. But to say he's the best we have on the team is a big overstatement.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
I like Greg Elliot. But if the solution is for him to play major minutes at PG we are not going to be any better next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:13 PM »
Greg Elliott is a much better defender than Cain. I have a suspicion that he's better than Sacar and Bailey but can't know until we see him uniform again.

I'm skeptical of Elliott as a PG. We don't really know since he was playing one handed last season but I've never believed he was an answer at PG. I do think he could have been an answer to our lack of slashers. Markus lost his touch around the rim at the end of the season and Sacar was too inconsistent. No one else can drive to the hole with confidence. I think this is what Elliott and McEwen can help with.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.