Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Open Thread  (Read 53027 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NCAA Tournament Open Thread
« Reply #475 on: April 08, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
First one to 50.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #476 on: April 08, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
Derrick Wilson would look good playing tonight.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #477 on: April 08, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
Virginia on a furious run to possibly score double digits by the 10 minute mark!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #478 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »
First one to 50.

Dick Bennett in the stands sweating and giddy with pleasure

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #479 on: April 08, 2019, 08:48:33 PM »
Texas Tech with a 25 point comeback. Check that, a 7 point comeback.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #480 on: April 08, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
I’m loving this game. These teams are great. Love watching UVA. So under control. Never play outside of themselves. Everyone has a role and plays it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #481 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
I’m loving this game. These teams are great. Love watching UVA. So under control. Never play outside of themselves. Everyone has a role and plays it.

UVa has given Tech trouble because they never get flustered late in the shot clock. This is a really good offensive team for Bennett.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #482 on: April 08, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »
GREAT no call.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
Who's the first Scoop hard-o to complain when Ja's dunk over Joey ends up on One Shining Moment?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
Who's the first Scoop hard-o to complain when Ja's dunk over Joey ends up on One Shining Moment?
Well now I'm not gonna

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2019, 10:52:21 PM »
Great game. UVA’s talent is very underrated. I’d kill for a lead guard who could control the game like any of Guy, Jerome (particularly), and Clark can.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2019, 10:52:47 PM »
Wait a doggone sec ... UVa was the #1 seed in the tournament last year and lost to a 16? I didn't know that!

The next thing somebody's gonna say is that Otule had a glass eye!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2019, 10:55:09 PM »
Great game. UVA’s talent is very underrated. I’d kill for a lead guard who could control the game like any of Guy, Jerome (particularly), and Clark can.

Hopefully that's Markus/Koby/Symir next year

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
Wait a doggone sec ... UVa was the #1 seed in the tournament last year and lost to a 16? I didn't know that!

#crapshoot

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2019, 11:43:44 PM »
My guess is a key part of this national title for UVA was hiding the score of their 20 point loss to a 16 seed. What an embarrassment and one that should be erased from everyone’s minds ASAP.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #490 on: April 09, 2019, 09:01:13 AM »
Several national hoops observers are pointing out that, as great as Beard coached this season and as good as TTech's defense is, they inexplicably left Hunter -- a 40% 3-point shooter and the team's star all season -- wide, wide, wide open at the arc when leading by 3 with 13 seconds to go.

Let Jerome make the layup, for crissakes.

But that's the deal. Beard probably told his kids, "Just don't give up a wide-open 3 to one of their great shooters." But kids are kids, and they sometimes don't follow the coach's instructions and sometimes don't do the right things.

Between that defensive play, and a horrible scud of an unnecessary 3 that Mooney launched in OT, those were two huge plays that killed an otherwise wonderful, well-coached team.

Again, I am NOT saying Beard is anything other than a great coach. I wish we had him, and I wish we had several of the TTech players, too.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #491 on: April 09, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #492 on: April 09, 2019, 09:36:18 AM »

Did you know Todd Mayo is OJ Mayo's little brother?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #494 on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/bhammond/status/1115608732078100481

This is great.

Good stuff.

And BTW, almost every Virginia game in the tournament was compelling, filled with big plays and huge moments.

I rather liked the way they controlled the pace and showed patience. Maybe I wouldn't like watching that 30+ times a year (but maybe I wouldn't mind), and if my team played that way and was successful, I would have zero problem with it. It certainly hasn't stopped Bennett from landing some outstanding athletes, either.

My one criticism of Bennett's team last night is that they REALLY took the air out of the ball too early -- like up 6 with 5+ minutes to go -- and ended up launching almost every shot right at the clock. They made a couple but missed a lot more, and it let TTech back in the game. Wojo's boyz fell victim to the same thing a few times this season. I like playing the clock, but not with that much time left.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #495 on: April 09, 2019, 10:32:15 AM »
My one criticism of Bennett's team last night is that they REALLY took the air out of the ball too early -- like up 6 with 5+ minutes to go -- and ended up launching almost every shot right at the clock. They made a couple but missed a lot more, and it let TTech back in the game.

That wasn't a last night thing, I felt they did that almost every game. They let Purdue back in with similar tactics & let Auburn back in.

I really enjoyed watching Virginia, in no small part because they were my NC pick, but they gave away leads of 8+ in all 3 of their final games & had to rally with under 15 seconds to play in all 3 games. Based on Pomeroy's win probabilities, the odds they would win all 3 games is 0.04212%.

As improbable as a 1 losing to a 16 was, Virginia winning this title the way they did was vastly more improbable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #496 on: April 09, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »
One thing I noticed is that Bennett doesn't use a lot of TOs and let's his players "play through it."  I guess in the end it worked, but I thought he could have called a TO or two last night to stop TT when they were making their run at the end.  He did something similar v. Purdue and Auburn, really only using TOs to stop the clock late.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #497 on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
One thing I noticed is that Bennett doesn't use a lot of TOs and let's his players "play through it."  I guess in the end it worked, but I thought he could have called a TO or two last night to stop TT when they were making their run at the end.  He did something similar v. Purdue and Auburn, really only using TOs to stop the clock late.

So did Beard. When you have great defenses, that allows a coach to bank time outs for late game situationals.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #498 on: April 09, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #499 on: April 09, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
That wasn't a last night thing, I felt they did that almost every game. They let Purdue back in with similar tactics & let Auburn back in.

I really enjoyed watching Virginia, in no small part because they were my NC pick, but they gave away leads of 8+ in all 3 of their final games & had to rally with under 15 seconds to play in all 3 games. Based on Pomeroy's win probabilities, the odds they would win all 3 games is 0.04212%.

As improbable as a 1 losing to a 16 was, Virginia winning this title the way they did was vastly more improbable.

Good points.

Given that a 1 had never lost to a 16 ... as in never, ever, ever ... that was pretty darn improbable. But I hear what you're saying.

There is definitely a time to take the air out of the ball, but up 6 with 5+ minutes to play or up 8 with 7 minutes to play doesn't seem like the right time. I know it drives me nuts when Wojo's team does stuff like that.

feedback