[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favorite encounters with athletes  (Read 6307 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Favorite encounters with athletes
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »
Dwight Buycks used to cheat off me my sophomore year in history (his mistake as I was drunk most classes)

I took a team sports class taught by Charlie Nader (who was then the golf coach), and Glenn Rivers was in the class. Rampant cheating took place, and not just by Rivers.

For the big exam on volleyball, we were all in a conference room. Nader left the room for about 10 minutes, and we were all collaborating on answers for pretty much every question.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
Eye'm figurin' ur fooked now. Ya no, Rick Majerus wuz eliminated from da ND coachin' gig four admittin' as much, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
Eye'm figurin' ur fooked now. Ya no, Rick Majerus wuz eliminated from da ND coachin' gig four admittin' as much, aina?

I guess that means I can't hire Rivers as my assistant, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:09 PM »
My freshman year at MU, fall '65, was the year the Braves announced they were moving to Atlanta. Ironically they were in the thick of the pennant race, but the whole town boycotted the last few remaining games. The had a 3 game home set with the Dodgers at County Stadium; My room mate, from Fresno CA, and I got tickets right behind the Dodger dugout. We both got signed baseballs from Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax. What are the odds of two guys from the opposite ends of the country having that opportunity and experience because we chose Marquette. Still have those balls and I'm a life long Yankee fan.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
As Ive mentioned in the past, I went to Miami University for undergrad.  My freshman year coincided with Big Ben's last year  Beyond his off the field issues in Pitt, he was kind of surly about all the attention he started to get.  However, I had 2 great interactions with him.  Once, after a big weeknight ESPN MACtion win, I saw him out at the bars.  Dumb, slightly buzzed freshman I was, I went up to congratulate him.  One of his OL stepped in and started to say something, Ben moved him aside, poured me a beer from his pitcher and talked to me for a few min.  Guess he was in a great mood.

Another time, right before he left school for the draft after the bowl game, I was at a bar, scuffle broke out, I sort of scurried to get out of the way, tripped on a stool and started to fall into the hallway near the bathrooms.  Big dude catches me from behind, stands me up, says "all good boss" and gives me a pat on the butt.  #7 yet again.

Same vein, my best friend in college was a FB player.  Through parties and other events, ran into Sean McVay a lot.  Proud of him as a fellow alum and amazed he's found success so early...but he was a complete dickhead.  Only FB player who ever tried to get me tossed from a party with a "who do you know here".  Seems like he's grown out of it.

Ray Allen used to come and play basketball with my friend who lived near him early in his career in Mequon.

Once went to a club in Chicago for a friends bday, Curtis Granderson was at the table next to us. Super friendly, really outgoing. Comped our bill when he heard it was a bday and was an effortless wingman.  Conversely, every low level Bears backup OL or backup LB on a rookie minimum were the biggest a**holes you could come across in the Chicago bar/club scene.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
My freshman year at MU, fall '65, was the year the Braves announced they were moving to Atlanta. Ironically they were in the thick of the pennant race, but the whole town boycotted the last few remaining games. The had a 3 game home set with the Dodgers at County Stadium; My room mate, from Fresno CA, and I got tickets right behind the Dodger dugout. We both got signed baseballs from Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax. What are the odds of two guys from the opposite ends of the country having that opportunity and experience because we chose Marquette. Still have those balls and I'm a life long Yankee fan.

Good thin' ya didn't lose yo balls, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »
1963..Very young in Twin Cities I went to VBS at St Peters on France Ave in Edina, and got to be good friends with "Junior"...a kid who loved to hum, sing joke and laugh with me in the back of the pretty boring summertime bible classes.

A week or so later I ran into Junior at Edina garden center. We played, ran, talked and laughed. My dad ran up and I could tell he was a little off put...why was his son so friendly with a black kid (a rare sighting in Edina in those days) ...just as he walked up to us, Junior's dad emerged from the aisle...it was Vic Power first baseman for the Twins.

I had no idea who Junior's dad was(he wasnt in a Twins uni...just sported a panama hat and cigar-lol)  but he seemed very nice and friendly. My Dad knew who Vic was.....started gushing admiration, greetings etc. From then on, my dad was fine with me hanging with Junior. By the accident of my Junior friendship , I ended up at the Powers home may times ...met Tony Oliva, Zoilo Versailles, Camilo Pascual...(the latino players hung together). As the Twins made the world series in 65 against Sandy Koufax's Dodgers ...I always felt close to that team because the Junior friendship led me to know its Latino pipeline group.

I have many later athlete encounters later with guys I knew and recognized....but, this one is special due to its innocence and my ignorance. As Junior would say...Oh those are just my Poppys friends.

BTW of the group...Tony Oliva was the nicest. Not sure if he even knew a word of english...but he would always smile laugh and soft lob toss the baseball with us.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:04:20 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
When I was about 14 I was at a Cubs convention and we had scored tickets to ballroom buffet from my friend's uncle who worked for Pepsi at the time.  We went into the buffet and the only empty table had a coat over one of the chairs, but the other 5 or 6 chairs were free, so we put our coats on them and went to get food. When we came back to the table we saw that the coat belonged to Ernie Banks. We apologized to Ernie and started to walk away, but he called us to sit down.
He talked to us for 20 minutes, asking us what positions we played (I was never so happy that I was a SS), and asked us if we had girlfriends (not even close).  It was such a great experience.

My second favorite encounter came in 2015. Me and a friend of mine were randomly selected as Illinois Lotto fans of the game at Wrigely, and if the Cubs were to score a run in the 2nd inning we'd get a prize. Bryant hit a solo shot into the right field basket.  The prize was to come back later in the season and have a dinner and meet and greet with a Cub. The game we got to come back to was Arrieta's 20th win, and we had a dinner with 30 or so other people and the Cub circling the tables was Bob Dernier.  He had clearly had an Old Style or two.  He saw that we were a table of guys and so some of the stories got a little crazy.  I asked him what it was like leading off for Pete Rose.  He first said that he liked being a lead off man and it never intimidated him, but instead, he "got hard."  Then told a story about Rose calling him up in his hotel room when on the road one time and telling him to come over to the his room.  He opened the door to find Pete is tube socks and tighty whiteys and there were "two cheerleaders" on Pete's bed. He then paused and stopped the story and said, "that's just the type of guy Pete was."

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
One of my wife's roommates at the Ardmore was a Marquette cheerleader from Cincinnati. Pat Cummings was on the Bucks at the time and after a night of drinking he would come over for some relief with his fellow Ohioan.

More than once I saw him head into the kitchen to grab a beer wearing nothing but a Louisville Slugger.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
One of my wife's roommates at the Ardmore was a Marquette cheerleader from Cincinnati. Pat Cummings was on the Bucks at the time and after a night of drinking he would come over for some relief with his fellow Ohioan.

More than once I saw him head into the kitchen to grab a beer wearing nothing but a Louisville Slugger.

The Ardmore had a bar downstairs when I was at MU between ‘88 and ‘92. Not sure if it existed when you were there. Fun place...the owner loved The Rolling Stones and he would jimmy the juke box to play their tunes all thru the week...somehow, never got tired of MonkeyMan or Sympathy despite hearing them like 5G times over the years.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 09:14:22 PM »
Thought of another. My favorites are stories where I look the fool before the famous. Here is one.

I am seated in the back on a flight and just before takeoff Olympic skater Nancy Kerrigan jumps onboard. This occurred about a year after the Olympics and the Tonya Harding knee capping incident.

We land in DFW. Nancy  gets off first. We both were heading for connecting flights. I saw her ahead and kept following her about 20 feet behind the whole way...we must have walked past at least 20 gates.

I noticed she looked sideeyed a few times. When Nancy finally got to her gate she stopped short and suddenly whipped around and says "What the hell do you want" ....Sheepishly I handed a pen and paper , asking and getting her autograph for my daughter (at the time she was every little girl's hero). Nancy smiled, calmed down and was very nice.

I got home with the autograph and told wife the story. I am still clueless...but My wife explained ...."you idiot, your following spooked her ,think about it, you're a stranger following her.....it was a flashback to the kneecapping" DOH....Instead of being a hero to my daughter ....my wife and daughter took turns calling me "Shawn" or "Jeff Gillooly"  for months after that.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:17:58 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
Have told story on here before, but Doc Rivers called my future wife because I told him I was waiting for her to call and ask me out. Doc indirectly changed my life forever and greatly appreciated.
Will add, he is far better at picking a wife than adding to a coaching search.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
ZFB had weekly tennis matches with Renee Richards for a few years
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »
Have told story on here before, but Doc Rivers called my future wife because I told him I was waiting for her to call and ask me out. Doc indirectly changed my life forever and greatly appreciated.

So, Goose, Doc asked you out for her...

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2019, 03:59:21 PM »
Fun topic. I have a lot, too many to list. I worked in the suites at Wrigley for 3 years, and any of the visiting "celebrities" (a term used pretty loosely some days) brought in for the first pitch/seventh inning stretch would be set up in the suites. Lots of cool/memorable interactions with people.

Obviously a lot of former Cubs are brought back throughout the season. Met a bunch of the Bears - the O-line guys were always the most fun. Those big boys can put back bbq by the truckload.

I met the entire Hawks team when they brought in the Cup. We bent some of the liquor rules for those guys. Kris Versteeg put me in a headlock.

Also used to play against Shaun Livingston back in the day. Taught him everything he knows, basically.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »
The Ardmore had a bar downstairs when I was at MU between ‘88 and ‘92. Not sure if it existed when you were there. Fun place...the owner loved The Rolling Stones and he would jimmy the juke box to play their tunes all thru the week...somehow, never got tired of MonkeyMan or Sympathy despite hearing them like 5G times over the years.

It was the Ardmore Bar. There was actually a back door passage that led from the bar to the apartments.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
There was actually a back door passage

Hmmmmm......

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
Crash
Yeah, Doc called her on my behalf. Basement on Johnson Hall, July 11th, 1985. Actually to make story better, Greg “Pope” Johnson instigated our meeting again after couple year break. Two Warriors changed my love life and life forever.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:50:00 PM by Goose »

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
Crash
Yeah, Doc called her on my behalf. Basement on Johnson Hall, July 11th, 1985. Actually to make story better, Greg “Pope” Johnson instigated our meeting again after couple year break. Two Warriors changed my love life and life forever.

That's outstanding. Especially the "Papal Intercession" to get you love birds squared away!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »

Congrats on the future nuptials! (I hope your current wife doesn't read scoop).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »
Waldo
She is encouraged to read Scoop and keep up with the pearls of wisdom you bring to the site.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »
Coach Jim Calhoun was walking next to me at the XL Center on Thursday on my way out of the game.  I didn't realize until someone on my right said "Coach!"  I gave a look and a "What?!"  Until the guy said "Coach Calhoun on your left." is when I finally realized. 
It's obviously sports, not athlete related.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »
Sitting in a DFAC at 0 Dark Thirty at some FOB in Iraq when a random guy comes up, tells us he's jet lagged and asks if he can join us. Turns out it's Kris Kristofferson.

He sees our Ranger tabs and tells us he is also tabbed. Turns out he is a helo pilot and went through the School back in the '60's.

Kristofferson was a Rhodes Scholar and Gold Gloves boxer. He went on for an hour with some great stories about boxing, rowing crew and playing rugby at Oxford, and how he was a long distance runner - all the while chain smoking Camels in what was supposed to be a smoke-free chow hall.

He talked a lot about his wife Lisa, who back in the day was a babe, but all of us really wanted to ask why he ever hooked up with Barbra Streisand who, in addition to being unattractive, has some questionable, if not genuinely bizarre, personal opinions about the world and how it works.

The Kris Scorecard:

Points for being a genuine Patriot, Kiowa Driver, getting tabbed, marrying a hot babe, hanging with Willie, Waylon, and Johnny.

Demerits for hanging with Barbra Streisand.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »

The Kris Scorecard:

Points for being a genuine Patriot, Kiowa Driver, getting tabbed, marrying a hot babe, hanging with Willie, Waylon, and Johnny.

And being Jeff Bridges' doppleganger

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2019, 12:26:20 AM »
And being Jeff Bridges' doppleganger

I never noticed that.

His character in The Big Lebowski is one for the ages. Sublime.