[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Transfer Thread (Non-grad)  (Read 2945 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
2019 Transfer Thread (Non-grad)
« on: March 19, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
Saw the first name of real interest pop up today:

Quote from: @EvanDaniels
Sources: Joel Ntambwe will transfer from UNLV. Averaged 11.8 PPG & 5.5 RPG. Will have three years of eligibility after sitting out a year.

Good rebounder, can shoot the three, 6'9" with a frame that could use a year of strengthening. Maybe Stan can work his left coast contacts. I'd love an athletic big with 3 years eligibility.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
Re: 2019 Transfer Thread (Non-grad)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:06:27 PM »
I'd love an athletic big with 3 years eligibility.

Isn't that what Ike is?

Seriously, though, thanks for starting this thread. Agree about the UNLV kid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
Saw the first name of real interest pop up today:

Good rebounder, can shoot the three, 6'9" with a frame that could use a year of strengthening. Maybe Stan can work his left coast contacts. I'd love an athletic big with 3 years eligibility.

Was just going to post this..He is a definite, yes please. Would be eligible when Morrow graduates.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
Isn't that what Ike is?

Nothing against Ike, but expecting anything out of him at this point is silly. Safe to assume he's done playing competitive basketball, and likely not a scholarship player next season. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
Nothing against Ike, but expecting anything out of him at this point is silly. Safe to assume he's done playing competitive basketball, and likely not a scholarship player next season.

I'd like to think whether he plays or not, Ike will have a scholarship long enough to graduate.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
I'd like to think whether he plays or not, Ike will have a scholarship long enough to graduate.

yes, he will get a full ride at MU.  But it might be time to move on from him.  He was a project to begin with, he will really be a project with back issues.  Time to move
on and get a transfer or grad transfer.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:57:05 PM »

I mean, I am sure the school will take care of him.  But just giving him 1/13 available scholarships for the next 2 seasons to be nice is pretty dumb, and something they won't do.  Hopefully he is healthy enough to play and they can give him a shot next season.  But if not, I don't think he'll be on the team, unless they are somehow able to give him an academic scholarship and stay on the team as a walk on or manager, which I highly doubt is allowed. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
Isn't that what Ike is?

I sincerely hope so. But I'm not against hedging bets.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »
I mean, I am sure the school will take care of him.  But just giving him 1/13 available scholarships for the next 2 seasons to be nice is pretty dumb, and something they won't do.  Hopefully he is healthy enough to play and they can give him a shot next season.  But if not, I don't think he'll be on the team, unless they are somehow able to give him an academic scholarship and stay on the team as a walk on or manager, which I highly doubt is allowed.
There is a way these situations like Ike are handled and documented .  It is called a medical retirement . The scholarship used is not included in the 13 allowed. Have been through this numerous times with teammates of my kids in other sports . The question here is whether Ike is healthy enough to compete at this level. I am sure we will find out after the season is over.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »
There is a way these situations like Ike are handled and documented .  It is called a medical retirement . The scholarship used is not included in the 13 allowed. Have been through this numerous times with teammates of my kids in other sports . The question here is whether Ike is healthy enough to compete at this level. I am sure we will find out after the season is over.

Makes sense.  Assume the Gophers did something similar with Jarvis Johnson who was a big time local recruit that as never able to play due to a heart condition. 

Curious - in this case - I assume you absolutely are unable not allowed to play?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
Makes sense.  Assume the Gophers did something similar with Jarvis Johnson who was a big time local recruit that as never able to play due to a heart condition.
For whatever it is worth , Ike looked as if he had been working out a lot when I saw him at the BET. He was about the same size as Joey and pure muscle. Whether  that translates into being able to play is another question.
            ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
Quinerly eh

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »
Quinerly eh
He has been injured . I think he will step into a starters role next year so it might not be a good move to transfer.
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 03:49:34 PM »

Did not know about that avenue.  Thanks for the info.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »

I thought we used this with Liam McMorrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
Following Herm's valuable contribution, I did some research and found this.  Athletics continues to pay the scholarship until eligibility would have been exhausted.  The kid can just never play his sport again.  It was later explained that the student athlete can refuse the designation if he/she prefers to transfer and thereby maintain eligibility. 

The source actually comes from a discussion of 'Bama football where Saban has 15x the 'Medical Retirement' rate of the average SEC school and the assertion is (correctly, I'll bet) that he literally uses it to 'cut' players thereby circumventing the 85 scholarship limit.  More reason to dislike 'Bama for sure.

Here's the actual text (a 'counter' is an athlete that counts toward scholarship limits):

15.5.1.3 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill. A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness.

15.5.1.3.1 Incapacitating Injury or Illness. If an incapacitating injury or illness occurs prior to a prospective student-athlete's or a student-athlete's participation in athletically related activities and results in the student-athlete's inability to compete ever again, the student-athlete shall not be counted within the institution's maximum financial aid award limitations for the current, as well as later academic years. How- ever, if the incapacitating injury or illness occurs on or after the student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities in the sport, the student-athlete shall be counted in the institution’s maximum financial aid limitations for the current academic year but need not be counted in later academic years. (Adopted: 1/10/91, Revised: 3/26/04, 9/18/07)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:18:22 PM by jsglow »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
I thought we used this with Liam McMorrow

We did.

feedback