[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Purdue bans streaming services (Netflix, hulu, etc) in classrooms  (Read 1215 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Purdue bans streaming services (Netflix, hulu, etc) in classrooms
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
Good move. As the article says, it is only in academic buildings. I don't think there will be much pushback by students.

Now, if it was banned in dorms......

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
I mean, seems pretty reasonable.

I’d be lying if I said I never surfed the internet during class but never thought about throwing on Netflix.

However, I also calculated how much I was paying per class one day, rarely skipped any class because of that.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

I’d be lying if I said I never surfed the internet during class but never thought about throwing on Netflix.

However, I also calculated how much I was paying per class one day, rarely skipped any class because of that.

Except you are not paying per class, you are paying per term (or 12+ credit hours), so as long as you get your credits, and graduate, class no matta.  In fact, you also pay room and board your first two years, so the less time you spend in class and more time in bed, you are actually getting a better return on your investment.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »

This is exactly what I did at MU.  I think it was $20 a class in the 90s.   

Let's see .. 5 classes, somewhere around 15-18 hours per week of classroom time.  Let's say 20.   24 weeks x 20 = 480 hours of instruction.   Sticker price of $43k / 480 = ~$90 per class.  Probably an even $100.

If you had concert tickets for $100, you'd never think of blowing one off.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
Good move. As the article says, it is only in academic buildings. I don't think there will be much pushback by students.

Now, if it was banned in dorms......
If I remember correctly, the nun teaching Physics when I was there had a no newspaper policy.  How times have changed.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »

Interesting you say that Chitown.  I did that exact same thing with each of the kids as they headed off to MU.  Forgot the figures now but I literally calculated it down to the credit hour and laid it out.  They got my meaning pretty clearly.  Then I made 'em get jobs after first semester.  You know the story.  All good.