[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sweet Sixteen Run  (Read 10362 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Sweet Sixteen Run
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 07:08:28 PM »
Cheeks
Crean got chased out of town because of only one year of success in March. Of course March success defines a season.

Crean didn't get chased out of town. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2019, 07:11:36 PM »
Cheeks
Awful lot of pressure from Dick Strong to perform better in March. Came to a head with Stanford loss.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »
I thought Markus had bad turnover games, but just went thru Morant’s games.  He is really turnover prone, he had 10 in a loss to Auburn.  Even against the poor OVC teams, he had games almost as bad.

His game stats are a double-double, but he was not playing against BE quality teams.  He can fly down the court though and some of his dunks are very, very impressive. 

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
This is a great region for Marquette.  Get past Murray State and it's wide open to the Final Four.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
Murray State lives in the paint which I think we can shut down.

I was scanning through their opponents this year when I was preparing my preview for them on Cracked Sidewalks. They played only 4 teams all season with top-100 2PFG% defense and zero in the top-40. They haven't had to deal with anyone remotely like Theo John or Ed Morrow. They're going to score some points & Morant is going to put up numbers, but I don't see how they stop our offense. I think this will be a relatively comfortable win. The second round, on the other hand...let's just say I'll be rooting for Vermont.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2019, 07:22:41 PM »
Cheeks
Awful lot of pressure from Dick Strong to perform better in March. Came to a head with Stanford loss.

MU had a very good recruiting class coming in with Tyshawn Taylor who then went to Kansas, along with the three Amigos playing.  Crean was very safe per my old colleagues that were still there.  Dick Strong has been long gone and the department doing just fine.

We will have to agree to disagree.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
Clark Kellogg just called Murray State.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2019, 07:29:16 PM »

Maybe the "town" being referred to is Bloomington IN?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2019, 07:30:29 PM »
Cheeks
We are talking Crean, not now. Crean got his ass chewed out and reached out to IU. Of course he was not getting sacked, but the sugar daddy busted his butt hard. Hence, him running for the hills.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »
What I know of FSU from watching them. Athletic team with length that plays great d but struggles offensively
Sounds like south Carolina 2 years ago.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
Can somebody break down MS besides Ja.  I have no idea what they have.   

Bigs?
3 ball threat?

Is ja mostly making money at the rim or does he have range from deep? 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »
Can somebody break down MS besides Ja.  I have no idea what they have.   

Bigs?
3 ball threat?

Is ja mostly making money at the rim or does he have range from deep?

Did you read this thread at all?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »
Maybe the "town" being referred to is Bloomington IN?

That is how I read it, actually, because I knew he didn't get chased out of Milwaukee.

I just saw Fla State beat Buzz in the ACC tournament. Very tough, hard-playing team with a couple of big-play guys. They crash the boards. Will be a heck of a test.

But that's how it's supposed to be when a 4 plays a 5. It's not supposed to be an easy game.

Murray State ... I haven't seen them play one second this season except for the Ja highlights I've seen on ESPN. Even though I'm an optimist, I'm also a bit of a worrywart (heck, I was worried about the DePaul game!), so I'm naturally worried about Murray State, too.

I just think we're overdue for some excellent play, and I'm actually quite encouraged by how we played vs. St. John's and vs. Seton Hall before the latter turned into a shyte-show. I think we're past "the worst."

Sweet 16? Sure ... I'm on board, baby!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »
Cheeks
We are talking Crean, not now. Crean got his ass chewed out and reached out to IU. Of course he was not getting sacked, but the sugar daddy busted his butt hard. Hence, him running for the hills.
He also tried to leave for Illinois and a few others...he was pretty arrogant about letting people know he wouldn't be around MU too long. 

On topic...MU with a 5 seed is great.  First game should be a win...one man show.  Second game will be interest if it's FL St....if we play as well as we have played at our best moments this year we can beat the vast majority of the teams in the tourney this year. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:15:20 PM by avid1010 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
Avid
Much more to the story.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
He also tried to leave for Illinois and a few others...he was pretty arrogant about letting people know he wouldn't be around MU too long.

And Buzz was rumored to Texas A&M, Texas Tech, SMU, etc, etc, etc. 

That's how they leverage more money, it's how the game is played by some.  He was at MU longer than any coach in the last 40 years not named Al McGuire. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
Don’t see us beating FSU unless they do one of their March chokes.

But I like the draw of our region as a whole

Leonard Hamilton always chokes in March.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
March 17, 2019....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »
Cheeks
Gladly buy you a beer and debate this is person.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
March 17, 2019....

Oh, I'm sorry for stating a fact.  He wasn't chased out of town. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:27 PM »
Cheeks
Gladly buy you a beer and debate this is person.

Sure, can I bring two former high ranking athletic department officials with me that were part of his hiring and remained connected through it all.   ;)   

I have no doubt Strong had his opinions and I know very well he liked to throw his weight around, but the way I read your post is he was forced out of town....meaning if he didn't get the IU job he was out.  And I can tell you that is simply not true.  Maybe I read your post wrong, if I did I apologize.  That 2008-09 team was too loaded and to many good recruits coming in that they weren't going to mess with that.

But would love to have that beer. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2019, 08:31:12 PM »
Cheeks
He was not forced out by MU, nor was he in danger. Strong scared the crap out of him and he ran for “greener pastures “. The man that carried a lot of weight was not happy with his March performance and let him know it. I know that you know the facts.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2019, 08:32:49 PM »
Hoos checkin' Morant, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:44 PM »
Great. Crean talk. Way to go guys, ever think about not being fu*kfaces for once?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2019, 08:34:07 PM »
Hoos checkin' Morant, hey?

Sacar and literally no one else.