Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Selection Sunday  (Read 5099 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Selection Sunday
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 12:07:28 PM »
Oregon hasn't played a top 40 team since before Chirstmas, give me them all day.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »
Oregon hasn't played a top 40 team since before Chirstmas, give me them all day.

Agreed on the competition level but one of the things that has helped me a lot in picking bracket upsets the past few years is looking at large jumps in kenpom #'s

They were 67 less than a month ago and are now 43... with a lot of blowouts mixed in. Takes a lot of quality play to move that much in 8 games. In terms of the possible 12 seeds if we get a 5, they're by far my least favorite option.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »
Yah, I suppose Florida is fairly close to the 10/11 cutoff, but man, after this week, Florida should be at worst a 10 IMO.

Agree, but who knows how things have to be shuffled to avoid the higher seeded SEC teams due to bracket rules. Moving down a seed to accommodate is hardly out of the question. According to Murphy's law, this is exactly how it will play out!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »
That’s who Palm has us facing in a 6/11 matchup. Pretty much my last choice.

Since Jerry is 99% accurate per his lunch mate, I went ahead and booked my non-refundable travel arrangements to Hartford.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »
I'm not 100% convinced Washington is(or should be) in. They have...count 'em...1 win over a team in the field and that was against Oregon who they just lost to last night, and had Oregon not won, they would have 0 wins over teams in the field. Not a good look.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »
Whatever the seed, I suspect the talking heads and other “gurus” will have MU as an upset special?

It wouldn't be March without MU being listed as an upset special....

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
I for one hope they put Yale in Hartford to hose some team (hope it’s not MU).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
Oregon is hot right now, but they're very similar to us.  Led by a diminutive point guard.  Depth, but no outstanding players.  I'd be worried more if they still had Bol Bol, but I don't hate an Oregon matchup.

I'd REALLY like to draw Ohio State.

Hot, yes. But hot in the weakest P6 conference in the land. They haven't played a really good team since - what - December?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 01:23:48 PM »
Obviously we’ve had a bad run lately but I don’t think teams on the 11 line are going to be too excited to play us. We are still a dangerous team.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »
Obviously we’ve had a bad run lately but I don’t think teams on the 11 line are going to be too excited to play us. We are still a dangerous team.

Yep. All it'd take is for Markus to find his form and remember to include his teammates, and we could win by 20+.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »

Yep. All it'd take is for Markus to find his form and remember to include his teammates, and we could win by 20+.
Agree with both of you. I think that drubbing of St Johns was really big for this team’s psyche and they know the SH game was stolen from them. So not only does it not affect their confidence but it fuels the fire. I really think these guys are a special group and I hope they’re rewarded with a run
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
I'm not 100% convinced Washington is(or should be) in. They have...count 'em...1 win over a team in the field and that was against Oregon who they just lost to last night, and had Oregon not won, they would have 0 wins over teams in the field. Not a good look.

I just went through their resume. They don't have wins over teams in the field, but that's largely because the rest of their league didn't deliver. They only played 4 games against teams that were at-large worthy. I'm not certain they're in, but I think they will make it by the skin of their teeth. If not, I think the 1-bid Pac 12 is a thing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
This should be my final update to the Curve, with thoughts on the final teams and who made it in or was left out on the bubble. If work allows I'll add a little more on the last 3 teams in:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/03/selection-sunday-afternoon.html?m=1
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 04:23:06 PM »
Oregon is hot right now, but they're very similar to us. Led by a diminutive point guard.  Depth, but no outstanding players.

We have the BEPOY, who also happens to be one of the top scorers in the country. What does it take to qualify as "outstanding"?

Agree.

I think that drubbing of St Johns was really big for this team’s psyche and they know the SH game was stolen from them. So not only does it not affect their confidence but it fuels the fire. I really think these guys are a special group and I hope they’re rewarded with a run

Agree wholeheartedly.

We are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 08:31:47 PM »
Since Jerry is 99% accurate per his lunch mate, I went ahead and booked my non-refundable travel arrangements to Hartford.

Jerry got 67 of 68 correct teams in.  He missed TCU instead of Belmont.  Lunardi the same.   Only two guys at Bracketmatrix nailed all 68 teams this year. 

Rumor has it he will continue to receive a large check from CBS next year and will be able to buy lunch.  Glad you made that non-refundable arrangement to Hartford, because that is where MU is playing.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »
Howie Schwab on FOX got 67 of 68. He missed his school in St. John's. Had 3 of 4 correct in Dayton.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback