[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bad look for Wardle at Bradley  (Read 4828 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Bad look for Wardle at Bradley
« on: March 16, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »

tower912

• All American
Re: Bad look for Wardle at Bradley
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
Bradley has a brand?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »
Denying access to 29-year beat writer because he "doesn't promote the Bradley brand."

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190315/commentary-bu-disgraces-itself-telling-longtime-pjs-beat-writer-you-dont-promote-bradley-brand?rssfeed=true

What’s missing is the whole story.  He wasn’t denied media coverage (press conferences) btw, he was denied extra media coverage (locker room access). While Wardle I am sure influenced this, this is the AD’s call. Isn’t this what John Thompson used to do, but in more of the extreme to all reporters? Not allow his players to be interviewed.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »
What’s missing is the whole story.  He wasn’t denied media coverage (press conferences) btw, he was denied extra media coverage (locker room access). While Wardle I am sure influenced this, this is the AD’s call. Isn’t this what John Thompson used to do, but in more of the extreme to all reporters? Not allow his players to be interviewed.

Semantics. I seriously doubt the AD denies access if Wardle didn't say something to him.

Maybe you can afford to do this if you're a successful high-major program that's regularly covered in national publications (i.e., GTown in the 80s). But when you're a mid-major, you have to take all the coverage you can get. Bad call.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »

Semantics. I seriously doubt the AD denies access if Wardle didn't say something to him.

Maybe you can afford to do this if you're a highly successful high-major program that's regularly covered in national publications (i.e., GTown in the 80s). But when you're a mid-major, you have to take all the coverage you can get. Bad call.

What’s missing here is the list of complaints they provided the reporter. No AD with his or her salt allows a coach to run the press credentials. There is more to the story.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »
What’s missing here is the list of complaints they provided the reporter. No AD with his or her salt allows a coach to run the press credentials. There is more to the story.
Seems pretty clear cut to me ... Bradley is denying access - access that had been in place for decades without issue - to a reporter because they don't believe his coverage is suitably fawning. I mean, read the story there. That's in their own words.

And given Wardle's history, it's hard to find likely any version of events that doesn't involve him being a bully here.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Seems pretty clear cut to me ... Bradley is denying access - access that had been in place for decades without issue - to a reporter because they don't believe his coverage is suitably fawning. I mean, read the story there. That's in their own words.

And given Wardle's history, it's hard to find likely any version of events that doesn't involve him being a bully here.

I read the story. It says the school sat him down and provided him a list of reasons why he was denied extra access going back a long time.  What’s missing in the story are the school’s exact reasons they provided the reporter.  Like did he misrepresent numerous times what student athletes said or was overboard tracking them down? An objective article would have also listed the exact reasons provided. This article is one sided and is about a reporter whining and using hyperbole (branding) to claim the victim.  There is obviously more to the story...and this one isn’t balanced.

As to coaches and bullies, I think every coach in every sport would like to control press credentials.  Even Wojo goes off the rails at times.  I have no doubt Wardle is a bully. That said, you know that is not how it works as that is the AD’s and SID’s job. That schools, conferences and the NCAA have press guidelines for this very reason. And I have no doubt Wardle is central in this, but so is Reynolds.  Schools are charged with protecting students.  Maybe BU feels the reporter crossed that line numerous times?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
I read the story. It says the school sat him down and provided him a list of reasons why he was denied extra access going back a long time.  What’s missing in the story are the school’s exact reasons they provided the reporter.  Like did he misrepresent numerous times what student athletes said or was overboard tracking them down? An objective article would have also listed the exact reasons provided. This article is one sided and is about a reporter whining and using hyperbole (branding) to claim the victim.  There is obviously more to the story...and this one isn’t balanced.

As to coaches and bullies, I think every coach in every sport would like to control press credentials.  Even Wojo goes off the rails at times.  I have no doubt Wardle is a bully. That said, you know that is not how it works as that is the AD’s and SID’s job. That schools, conferences and the NCAA have press guidelines for this very reason. And I have no doubt Wardle is central in this, but so is Reynolds.  Schools are charged with protecting students.  Maybe BU feels the reporter crossed that line numerous times?

1. The school was given an opportunity to explain it's side of the story and chose instead to issue a statement that said nothing. That seems telling.
2. This reporter covered the team for 25 years apparently with no problem between himself and Bradley.  Even wins awards for his work. Noted bully Brian Wardle arrives on campus and suddenly this reporter becomes an unethical teller of half truths and misleading information?
Seems dubious. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
Media is never wrong, just ask them.  Never part of the problem
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
1. The school was given an opportunity to explain it's side of the story and chose instead to issue a statement that said nothing. That seems telling.
2. This reporter covered the team for 25 years apparently with no problem between himself and Bradley.  Even wins awards for his work. Noted bully Brian Wardle arrives on campus and suddenly this reporter becomes an unethical teller of half truths and misleading information?
Seems dubious.

1. The reporter has the list. The SID delivered it to him. The BU President backed it up. They chose to not go public with it (wise to not fan the local flame perhaps...just deliver the medicine). The reporter talks about everything else, cough up all the reasons then if it is so unfair. Then we can judge.

2. Wardle didn’t suddenly show up. This is his fourth season in Peoria. That’s four years of history. You are better than that Pukini. Sometimes reporters cross the line.

Quoting your thread: Bad look for Wardle at Bradley...Denying access to 29-year beat writer because he "doesn't promote the Bradley brand." Again, Wardle did not deny access. The SID denied only special access...for a number of reasons the reporter was given, most left unstated in this biased article. He can still go to the press conferences.

Obviously, there is much more to the story...and it involves access to student athletes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »
I dunno, it's not his job to promote "The Bradley Brand," I think Bradley were pretty thin skinned here, most high school coaches handle the press better than this.

In either case, Wardle and Bradley are getting all the press they can handle now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
Obviously, there is much more to the story...and it involves access to student athletes.

You're free to make this assumption, but it's based entirely on speculation.
Again, this guy covered the team for a quarter century without issue. What changed? And what do we know about that thing that changed?

Regardless, as Wardle and Bradley are learning today, these kinds of power plays never end well for the people making them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
You're free to make this assumption, but it's based entirely on speculation.
Again, this guy covered the team for a quarter century without issue. What changed? And what do we know about that thing that changed?

Regardless, as Wardle and Bradley are learning today, these kinds of power plays never end well for the people making them.

I predict that paper will be out of business in 10 years while Wardle will still be coaching.  Media bulling at its finest, their way or the highway.  Pen mightier thant the sword, but the pen keeps diluting its power these days which is fine by me.  People have to hold the media accountable, too.  Finally starting to happen. Thankfully. 

There is definitely more to this story, but is the paper going to tell the whole truth and nothing but, give the full story.  No damn way.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 12:56:16 PM »
I predict that paper will be out of business in 10 years while Wardle will still be coaching.  Media bulling at its finest, their way or the highway.  Pen mightier thant the sword, but the pen keeps diluting its power these days which is fine by me.  People have to hold the media accountable, too.  Finally starting to happen. Thankfully. 

There is definitely more to this story, but is the paper going to tell the whole truth and nothing but, give the full story.  No damn way.

Cheeks ... Blackheart and I were having a reasonable discussion of this issue with Brian Wardle, Bradley and the PJR. Please save your politically motivated screeds for the Daily Caller message board.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »
Cheeks ... Blackheart and I were having a reasonable discussion of this issue with Brian Wardle, Bradley and the PJR. Please save your politically motivated screeds for the Daily Caller message board.

What is Daily Caller?

Nothing about my comments were political at all.  The media has the power of the pen and the ability to drub someone to death if they wish in ink. That has always been the case, but they can be abusive with it, too. They are also a human institution.  Do you disagree?  Journalism these days is disgraceful and that is being said not just by me, but by JOURNALISTS and former professors of journalism. It has become a shadow of what it used to be. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »
Btw, the special event in question appears to be the team’s selection show party. The reporter, not the paper, was denied the media access. Seems like some faux outrage about 1st Amendment rights getting trampled.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »
Wardle's a bully??

I guess that's a reference to the parent who claimed Wardle mocked her precious baby for sh1tting his pants during a practice.

Frankly, a grown man sh1ts himself in a team environment he will hear about it. If he doesn't it's not a cohesive team.

I might not want Wardle coaching MU but I want nothing but success for him. He's not a bully. Anyone who thinks so has likely never been on a team.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
@rickbozich: As a wiser, former Marquette guy named Al McGuire once told me to tell a thin-skinned coach: If you want to read something nice about yourself, buy an ad. Shame on Chris Reynolds and Brian Wardle.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 02:23:28 PM »
@rickbozich: As a wiser, former Marquette guy named Al McGuire once told me to tell a thin-skinned coach: If you want to read something nice about yourself, buy an ad. Shame on Chris Reynolds and Brian Wardle.

Rick Bozich....one of the lead clowns in sports journalism.  Awesome example. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »
Bradley apologizes,  restores access.

@BradleyBraves: https://twitter.com/BradleyBraves/status/1106994913365897220/photo/1

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
Bradley apologizes,  restores access.

@BradleyBraves: https://twitter.com/BradleyBraves/status/1106994913365897220/photo/1

Crisis averted...no let’s get back to the Big East Grassy Knoll theories...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
Rick Bozich....one of the lead clowns in sports journalism.  Awesome example.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
I know Dave Reynolds. A fine reporter and a true pro.

All you need to know is that Bradley admits it handled the situation terribly. When you have to issue a public apology, you know it was bad -- even worse than it first looked to anybody with even a shred of objectivity.

They owe Reynolds a personal apology, too; it would be classy of Wardle to make the apology himself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 05:09:18 PM »
Bradley has a brand?

That is destined to be the best comment in this thread no matter how long it goes on.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

He's a hack, IU grad that many IU fans know plenty about.  An absolute clown hack.