Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Back in the locker room...  (Read 10088 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Back in the locker room...
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
File a formal protest. They got absolutely screwed

Formal protest means nothing, it happens repeatedly at their tournament.  I  mean their tournament.  Save your money, go to the NCAA tournament next year.  I live in N.J. and would not go to the BE tournament if you paid me.  Let Villanova and SH or SJU have their fun, or the Amtrack fans from Washington or Providence.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2019, 10:25:00 AM »
True.  But, he also blew a national championship with his technicals. He was great when he strategically got technicals.  He hurt the team badly when they were emotionally-driven.  Many were critical of him.

Yes, but a Big East tournament semi-final is not the NCAA tournament.  Besides, Al was from New York and would have seen the "fix."

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2019, 10:28:16 AM »
Yes, but a Big East tournament semi-final is not the NCAA tournament.  Besides, Al was from New York and would have seen the "fix."

Did you ever wonder why he never went back to NY?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
I am with you on this one.  I also kind of wish Marquette would pull an Al and say "no" to next year's BET.

Plus one, why not, and we will be highly ranked.  New York will never respect Marquette until it stands up for itself.  Not unlike Green Bay and Vince standing up to the Giants back in my day.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2019, 01:31:11 PM »
Did you ever wonder why he never went back to NY?

Tell us?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
In the grand scheme of things did Marquette need this win? No. The seed line probably barely changes for them. What this did do however is bring to the forefront a problem that has plagued the big east all year. And I am very thankful for that.
Of course Marquette needed this win.  They needed it for a chance to win the Big East Tournament,

The NCAA tournament is not the only thing.  I've arrived at MU in 1979, so this is the 40th season I've been rooting for them.  In those 40 years, they've one two outright regular season titles, one shared conference regular season title, one conference tournament and one NCAA regional.  That's 5 things in 40 years.  We had great chances at a conference championship and a tournament championship and couldn't close the deal either time.  I want to celebrate them WINNING some sort of championship. 

And I know the Great Alaska Shootout is nice and all, but that is not what I am talking about.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »
I sorta wish that after the Anim and John ejections, and the Powell return from the locker room, Steve would have taken the team off the court and back to the hotel.  At that point, the refs showed their hand...no way was MU winning that game....with 12 minutes of play left, not worth risking injury to any of the guys.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2019, 02:42:15 PM »
Call me prurient, but I wish Wojo would have given an epic press conference.

I know that wouldn't have helped matters, but without him saying anything, there's a galactic amount of unexpressed outrage.

Al would have!

Al would have gone off like a nuclear bomb on a remote Pacific island. Both in the game and afterward at the presser. I imagine he would have responded to the Big East the way he did at the NCAA after the K-State game in 1977.

To other comments about Theo really blasting Powell, while that would have made most of us feel good, it probably would have led to his suspension for the first game of the NCAA. That's a million times more important than anything in the Big Least. The reality is the zebras have Theo's number and until he learns to properly channel his assertion, he's going to get fouls. There's likely a few NCAA zebras who are afraid of Theo and his strength.

As to the refs from last night, the commentators who talked about the game afterward really took after them. Lavin and his sidekick (forget his name) basically tore into them and said they were ashamed for the Big East after this one.

With all that, we had a chance to win and we blew it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:50:29 PM by dgies9156 »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
Any new news on what came out of the locker room with BEast officials not allowing media into the MU locker room etc?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
As to the refs from last night, the commentators who talked about the game afterward really took after them. Lavin and his sidekick (forget his name) basically tore into them and said they were ashamed for the Big East after this one.

Donnie Marshall. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.