[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Proud of Wojo and the Team  (Read 4953 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Proud of Wojo and the Team
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 11:58:36 PM »
There was no shove. Inconsequential contact yes. Shove? Please, that is not what happened

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 12:01:24 AM »
On Theo "doing nothing" I have to disagree. Powell was in the air and defenseless and had already released the ball. Theo put a hand in the middle of his chest and shoved him - not hard, but when your off balance like Powell was that's a dangerous play. I know I'll be attacked for this but IMO his ejection was warranted.

Holy crap, do I disagree with that.  Theo put a hand on Powell, who was FALLING already.  He did not shove him.   That was a galactically bad call to eject him on that.  Especially in comparison to Powell extraordinarily intentionally punching Anim with his elbow.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 12:09:12 AM »
Wojo was great in the presser - on that we agree.

On Theo "doing nothing" I have to disagree. Powell was in the air and defenseless and had already released the ball. Theo put a hand in the middle of his chest and shoved him - not hard, but when your off balance like Powell was that's a dangerous play. I know I'll be attacked for this but IMO his ejection was warranted.

Re Sacar, the refs missed an obvious foul on a lay up and I think it got him pissed off. He looked a little out of control after that. Committed a hard foul on Powell and on the next possession he was in Powell's ear and Powell lost his composure and threw an elbow. Awesome, but he couldn't just walk away, he had to chirp. And he had to find somebody to "bump" in the next Powell dust up. You can argue that the refs overreacted, but what can't be argued is that Sacar lost his composure - twice. And that lack of discipline helped cost us the game.
The issue more than anything was the double standard. Theo gets an F2 ejection? Fine. Sacar gets a second T, ejection? Fine. Powell stays in the game? Oh hell fuggin no. That invalidated ALL of those bs calls
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
I would have been fine with Theo getting a personal foul. Was floored that it was called a flagrant 2.

Powell getting to stay in the game was technically right, because he got called for a flagrant 1 and a technical. But that's one where if you take a few step back and look it, it is really problematic.

Sacar clapped/smiled and shoved a guy after being shoved himself

Powell intentionally elbowed a guy in the chest and then angrily got into another players face and instigated a scrum

The fact that Sacar was ejected and Powell wasn't is technically correct but laughable
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »
Holy crap, do I disagree with that.  Theo put a hand on Powell, who was FALLING already.  He did not shove him.   That was a galactically bad call to eject him on that.  Especially in comparison to Powell extraordinarily intentionally punching Anim with his elbow.

We disagree on Theo, but I agree on the Powell elbow. But if Anim would have gone down in a heap (the smart play) instead of chirping and clapping the refs would have had no choice but to throw Powell out.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 12:16:32 AM »
We disagree on Theo, but I agree on the Powell elbow. But if Anim would have gone down in a heap (the smart play) instead of chirping and clapping the refs would have had no choice but to throw Powell out.

Sacar's reaction changes the ref interpretation of Powell's action?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 12:16:59 AM »
We disagree on Theo, but I agree on the Powell elbow.

NO SIR.  We do not "disagree" on Theo. 

You are wrong and must sit at your keyboard stewing in your wrongness for the rest of eternity.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 12:17:41 AM »

Im kinda surprised they didnt call it a foul on Sacar for running into Powell's elbow /teal
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 12:20:11 AM »
We don’t flop. Never have. Could we get the call if we flopped? Yes.
This team doesn’t flop. Fans who believe that s a smart play live 90 miles west.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 12:20:52 AM »

Of course. If he's on the ground writhing in pain I guarantee Powell gets tossed.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 12:22:38 AM »
I don’t think the ‘shove’ warranted a F2 but after seeing Bogut and other players getting devastating injuries I’m not too upset of them being overly protective of defenseless players.
Bad call: worst case scenario is us old alumni get pissed.
Allowing that type of play: worst case kid gets injured and ruins his career/impact on life.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »
I don’t think the ‘shove’ warranted a F2 but after seeing Bogut and other players getting devastating injuries I’m not too upset of them being overly protective of defenseless players.
Bad call: worst case scenario is us old alumni get pissed.
Allowing that type of play: worst case kid gets injured and ruins his career/impact on life.

I'll be looking for your commentary every time Markus is shoved/fouled out of the air from this time forward

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 12:30:18 AM »
I would have been fine with Theo getting a personal foul. Was floored that it was called a flagrant 2.

Powell getting to stay in the game was technically right, because he got called for a flagrant 1 and a technical. But that's one where if you take a few step back and look it, it is really problematic.

Sacar clapped/smiled and shoved a guy after being shoved himself

Powell intentionally elbowed a guy in the chest and then angrily got into another players face and instigated a scrum

The fact that Sacar was ejected and Powell wasn't is technically correct but laughable

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 12:32:24 AM »
I’m mad as hell they lost and wanted to beat those punks so bad...but on Sunday we will have a bracket and pretty much all else will be behind us. Can’t wait for the focus to be on that game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 12:44:28 AM »
We don’t flop. Never have. Could we get the call if we flopped? Yes.
This team doesn’t flop. Fans who believe that s a smart play live 90 miles west.

Okay, the star on the other team has just made a dumb and dirty play. Sacar could have fallen to the ground as if he'd been shot and the guy who committed the dirty play gets tossed. Or he could have chirped and been called for a technical. Or I guess he could have just STFU. He chose "B" - that was a mistake.

Oh, and by the way, everybody flops - it's almost the only way to get an offensive foul called in your favor. We haven't developed it to an art form like UW, but to say never?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 12:51:43 AM »
The real problem with the Theo call is it's impossible to commit a flagrant in the second half on a player who was ejected in the first. Powell didn't belong on the floor after the Anim play. Theo committed an impossible foul because the refs gave Powell superstar treatment. If that's the other way & Anim elbows Powell, he would've been ejected.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 04:31:25 AM »
Wojo was great in the presser - on that we agree.

Re Sacar, the refs missed an obvious foul on a lay up and I think it got him pissed off. He looked a little out of control after that. Committed a hard foul on Powell and on the next possession he was in Powell's ear and Powell lost his composure and threw an elbow. Awesome, but he couldn't just walk away, he had to chirp. And he had to find somebody to "bump" in the next Powell dust up. You can argue that the refs overreacted, but what can't be argued is that Sacar lost his composure - twice. And that lack of discipline helped cost us the game.

Theo should not have been ejected.  I'm 100% confident that if Powell doesn't cry about it in the first place, that play is never even reviewed and nothing at all happens to Theo.  He put an arm up and it almost looked more defensively as Powell was flying towards him.  He didn't intentionally shove him.  There was zero intent.  He even looked away when his arm was up.  When I saw it in slow motion, I thought oh great because if you really want to believe it, it almost looked kind of bad.  I watched the replay several dozen times and it was just a very bad, horrible call, inspired by a crybaby star.  There are players in every game who take way worse hits going to the basket than what Theo did, which was barely even touch the guy.

Now, I will agree with you on Anim, or at least one part of it.  I agree that he handled both incidents very poorly.  He got in Powell's head and drew the elbow, and I thought that was awesome until about 2 seconds later when I saw him clap in his face.  Why in the hell do you do that?  You know they are going to T you up for that.  It was so stupid and it completely negated what otherwise would have been awesome.  During the scrum later, the replay shows that he did push a guy.  Again, no restraint.  It's his own damn fault he got ejected.  Theo no, Anim yes.

I do not agree that he should have flopped on the elbow play.  I don't ever want to see our players Davisoning, pretending to be hurt more than they are.  If I want to watch acting I will watch a movie.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2019, 06:17:40 AM »
Okay, the star on the other team has just made a dumb and dirty play. Sacar could have fallen to the ground as if he'd been shot and the guy who committed the dirty play gets tossed. Or he could have chirped and been called for a technical. Or I guess he could have just STFU. He chose "B" - that was a mistake.

Oh, and by the way, everybody flops - it's almost the only way to get an offensive foul called in your favor. We haven't developed it to an art form like UW, but to say never?
it’s not in Sacar’s makeup to flop and act like he’s been shot. Is that a mistake? Perhaps.
Next time it happens......he’s still not flopping. Sacar practices at an extremely high defensive level. He is assigned with the very difficult task of shutting down the opponent’s best. When he gets hit or punched, he doesn’t go down in a heap waiting for the ref to give him the call. Not in his makeup. You want to call that dumb or not a smart play? Go ahead.
Badger fans agree. When Davison gets shot out of a cannon.......gets the charge call...smart play. Sacar isn’t doing that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »
Not a shove, not a push.  Theo put his arm out, in my opinion, to guide him away.  That sounds weird, but to me a push or shove comes with force behind it, which there wasn’t in my opinion.  If that’s a push, then I have to wonder why we haven’t seen about 10 to 15 ejections this year against Howard defenders when he is flying through the air.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »
I am proud of our team if its OK to answer the OP's comment.

Yeah, that game sucked and if Powell is back next season and if I were Willard I would not let him make the trip to Milwaukee. We Warriors have long memories and don't forget. May I suggest that the league bring PAC12 refs for the two games.

EDIT: I would be just as pissed if we won.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »
Not a shove, not a push.  Theo put his arm out, in my opinion, to guide him away.  That sounds weird, but to me a push or shove comes with force behind it, which there wasn’t in my opinion.  If that’s a push, then I have to wonder why we haven’t seen about 10 to 15 ejections this year against Howard defenders when he is flying through the air.

I think this is a good split out of it. Nothing Theo did looked like it rose to the level of a F2--if anything he was sort of bracing himself for contact while trying to start a box out. The reaction was the only thing that was overboard there.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
Go back and watch the highlights when we beat Wisco...Markus getting pushed into the padding of the backboard is a "push" and there wasn't even an F1 called

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »
It should've been a foul on Sacar and that's that.  But Powell got butthurt and wanted to be all "hold me back" fake tough knowing he has his entire bench right there so Theo can't do anything to him.  Honestly the review should've been about 1 minute long.  T on Powell, T on Mamu, T on #14 of SH, and T on Sacar.  Which would've resulted in an ejection of Sacar and Mamu and Powell should've been ejected for escalating two situations unnecessarily.  Instead we went 9 minutes in order to try to find what we want to find, pull out some paper to write a thesis on why we saw what we wanted to see, and ruined a conference semifinal basketball game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:55:19 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
I
if Powell is back next season and if I were Willard I would not let him make the trip to Milwaukee. We Warriors have long memories and don't forget.

Is this a threat or just silliness?

Similar threats made on social media have been called to the attention of the authorities.

I'm as serious as a heart attack here. I don't think you really made a threat, but I am giving you a friendly heads-up for future posts you might make out of anger.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback