'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fore!  (Read 23848 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Fore!
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
The Woj era had a chance to add its first tangible victory today. 0-1 in the NCAA’s, no BET title, no NIT titles, if you care about in season holiday tournaments, nothing there either. I’m not advocating getting rid of Woj, but today was the worst loss of the Woj era. Everything set up for MU, and I’m at a loss. Just an abysmal ending to what was shaping up to be a remarkable season.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
1.  Shooting.   Wow.   MU got all of the looks we have come to expect them to make.    Sam....clang.   Markus....clang.   
2.  While Georgetown hit their shots.  Or got fouled.   The defense didn't seem bad.   Down the stretch, Ewing decided to isolate his guards and let them attack   It worked well.    Marquette's lack of team speed was exposed. 
3.   Turnovers weren't the problem.    Rebounding was an asset.   Except that last one.   So, no bitching about that.    All about the shooting.   
4.   I think the cumulative minutes played by Sam and Markus are coming home to roost.    The lack of a second lead guard really hurts.    Both look beat up.
5.   What is and isn't a foul confuses me.   An ounce of consistency would be nice 
6.   Those of you who wanted Markus to play less, congratulations.   
7.   Brendan Bailey had a game.   But know your place.   You are a catch and shoot guy.   Not a dribble from the wing to the top of the key and then fire up a 3 off the dribble guy. 
8.   Free throw shooting mattered today.    And efg% sure as hell did. 
9.   Marquette has now found 4 different ways to lose 4 straight games.     Today, it was a hot shooting team.   While Marquette was a cold shooting team.     There is going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.    As it should be.    I don't think anyone can claim it isn't frustrating.    Only thing to do now is try to regroup and move on.
#4 is pure BS. every team's best players play a lot of minutes and carry the load. That's just a poor excuse.
The problem is MH carried the team most of the season and now that teams have figured out how to defend him, Mu hasn't adjusted. Today the team actually played better today,  but ran into a hot shooting team.Problem is it came after 3 prior losses.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
The Woj era had a chance to add its first tangible victory today. 0-1 in the NCAA’s, no BET title, no NIT titles, if you care about in season holiday tournaments, nothing there either. I’m not advocating getting rid of Woj, but today was the worst loss of the Woj era. Everything set up for MU, and I’m at a loss. Just an abysmal ending to what was shaping up to be a remarkable season.

Couldn't agree more. You would think Wojo, Stan, Brett (ugh) make enough money to have these kids win 1 home game for Hardware. Wow. What a complete Joke.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2019, 04:14:43 PM »
And you are wrong.

Not really a good argument.  When you foul time and time again and put guys on the line you are not going to win games.  Some of the calls perhaps questionable but the defense of the second half was too physical on how the game was being called.  The offense wasn't good but the defense gave up way too many points in the half court.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »
Imo Wojo should have been terminated with a missed NCAA this year. Or at least the seat should have been red hot. Very thankful this losing streak happened when it did and the season regular season is over. Happy to be going to the tournament and hopefully they can turn it around now.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
Agreed
 Wojo is useless as a coach. Head back to Duke to shine Ks shoes. Let all the exvuse makers make attempts for this alleged coach  because this performance is inexcusable. Sayanora Wojo.

There is almost no possible way outside of a scandal that wojo would ever be let go by this admin.    And that is a problem.  Im not saying i know of a better candidate right now.  But what exactly would it take to lose his job?   Would last place in the beast even do it. Not so sure.  There is no end point for this mans job based on performance and that is a problem. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »

Wait until we get a Murray St matchup in the 6-11 and get bounced. They might get it together for 1 in NY next week, but I have zero confidence in the beating a team of any substance in the NCAA in that 10-11 range.

The losses aren’t as troubling as they fact that Wojo has lost the team and they have zero ability to execute late.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
I don't understand the love affair this board has with Wojo. I think he is a decent coach not good or great by any means but if you say anything negative everyone jumps on you. What exactly has he done for MU than any other coach outside of him couldn't have done in the same 5 years?

Completely disagree. Nobody is allowed to say anything positive or else they are told they are wrong. Agree on your analysis of his coaching for the most part.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »
Hairy
There are always a half dozen excuses on this board for why they lost. Whether it is the refs, injury, Elliott redshirting, to who announced the game. They were ten point favorites at home and did not get it done.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2019, 04:17:04 PM »
I think its the worst loss in Wojo era.  Chance to win a co-title, 11 point favorites, at home on senior day and played a team that lost by 30 to Depaul, who starts two freshmen guards who outplayed our best guards by a long shot.  You can use all the excuses in the world, but that was the worst.

10 missed free throws.
Only 5 turnovers
MU out rebounded them on offensive boards 15 to 6
AND STILL LOSE?  Offense, its Markus dribbling around the key and thats it.

Markus turnover at end, along with two loose balls not collected lead to 7 points.  Death.

Markus in last two games is 10 for 36(27%) from field and Sam went 2 for 11 today.  MU missed 11 of its last 14 shots. 

From a three seed to maybe a 6 in a week.

I may have to agree with you. If we win, we win a share of the Big East title and it relieves the pain from the past 3 losses. Add to it, senior day for Martty, last home game of the year and 11 point favorites.

This isn’t a problem of the team not being focused, or not ready to play. It’s larger than that.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2019, 04:17:27 PM »
Not really a good argument.  When you foul time and time again and put guys on the line you are not going to win games.  Some of the calls perhaps questionable but the defense of the second half was too physical on how the game was being called.  The offense wasn't good but the defense gave up way too many points in the half court.

Really think the refs got about 8 consecutive calls wrong at the end both ways.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »

There is almost no possible way outside of a scandal that wojo would ever be let go by this admin.    And that is a problem.  Im not saying i know of a better candidate right now.  But what exactly would it take to lose his job?   Would last place in the beast even do it. Not so sure.  There is no end point for this mans job based on performance and that is a problem.

+10000000
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2019, 04:19:10 PM »

“2.  While Georgetown hit their shots.  Or got fouled.   The defense didn't seem bad.   Down the stretch, Ewing decided to isolate his guards and let them attack   It worked well.    Marquette's lack of team speed was exposed.  “

Team speed?  I don’t know if it’s completely that.  McClungs drives were very well defended for the most part and he received some bailout calls.  Lots of blocks at the rim we were called for fouls on the body and were questionable.

This losing streak is not due to the fact that teams have figured use out.  We are not playing as we did for the majority of the season.  Our big two missed a lot of shots they normally make and our big east player of the year took a lot of shots early in the clock that were bad and off balance.  Missed rebounds at the end and 1-2 from the line most off the second will not get it done especially when we are playing tight.

This team will figure it out unless they are simply dog tired and Wojo macro managed the team the wrong way throughout the year. 

These last few games are a huge lesson for this team.  It will only make them better and  lead to better opportunities this week and next.

I’m looking forward to the next few games and am personally optimistic.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
Hairy
There are always a half dozen excuses on this board for why they lost. Whether it is the refs, injury, Elliott redshirting, to who announced the game. They were ten point favorites at home and did not get it done.

Goose as always is spot on

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
1.  Shooting.   Wow.   MU got all of the looks we have come to expect them to make.    Sam....clang.   Markus....clang.   
2.  While Georgetown hit their shots.  Or got fouled.   The defense didn't seem bad.   Down the stretch, Ewing decided to isolate his guards and let them attack   It worked well.    Marquette's lack of team speed was exposed. 
3.   Turnovers weren't the problem.    Rebounding was an asset.   Except that last one.   So, no bitching about that.    All about the shooting.   
4.   I think the cumulative minutes played by Sam and Markus are coming home to roost.    The lack of a second lead guard really hurts.    Both look beat up.
5.   What is and isn't a foul confuses me.   An ounce of consistency would be nice 
6.   Those of you who wanted Markus to play less, congratulations.   
7.   Brendan Bailey had a game.   But know your place.   You are a catch and shoot guy.   Not a dribble from the wing to the top of the key and then fire up a 3 off the dribble guy. 
8.   Free throw shooting mattered today.    And efg% sure as hell did. 
9.   Marquette has now found 4 different ways to lose 4 straight games.     Today, it was a hot shooting team.   While Marquette was a cold shooting team.     There is going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.    As it should be.    I don't think anyone can claim it isn't frustrating.    Only thing to do now is try to regroup and move on.

The Season of The Choke.....I want to believe but this squads spirit and mojo seems broken, they tried (at least) #IHateSports
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
Wait until we get a Murray St matchup in the 6-11 and get bounced. They might get it together for 1 in NY next week, but I have zero confidence in the beating a team of any substance in the NCAA in that 10-11 range.

The losses aren’t as troubling as they fact that Wojo has lost the team and they have zero ability to execute late.

Lol. “Lost the team.”  I swear this place comes up with dumber stuff each game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

VwArrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »
Speechless with how this season has taken a downward turn so quickly.  My only hope is that every year it seems like there’s a team that plays poorly down the stretch and catches fire again into conference tournaments and March madness. Hoping that’s us but haven’t seen anything to make me confident.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »

“2.  While Georgetown hit their shots.  Or got fouled.   The defense didn't seem bad.   Down the stretch, Ewing decided to isolate his guards and let them attack   It worked well.    Marquette's lack of team speed was exposed.  “

Team speed?  I don’t know if it’s completely that.  McClungs drives were very well defended for the most part and he received some bailout calls.  Lots of blocks at the rim we were called for fouls on the body and were questionable.

This losing streak is not due to the fact that teams have figured use out.  We are not playing as we did for the majority of the season.  Our big two missed a lot of shots they normally make and our big east player of the year took a lot of shots early in the clock that were bad and off balance.  Missed rebounds at the end and 1-2 from the line most off the second will not get it done especially when we are playing tight.

This team will figure it out unless they are simply dog tired and Wojo macro managed the team the wrong way throughout the year. 

These last few games are a huge lesson for this team.  It will only make them better and  lead to better opportunities this week and next.

There is part of me that feels the same way but this has to be tolling mentally on the players. To lose 4 straight games up or tied at the 5 min mark has to do something to you psychologically. If its not turnovers its bad shooting, it ifs not bad shooting its bad defense, its almost like they are finding new ways to lose. I still think they are a sweet 16 team because of the sharp shooters they have from 3 but at some point that might just die.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »

You’re truly ridiculous. This team had a home game against an unranked team lead by freshman, with a chance to win a share of the conference championship. If you’re not dialed in for that it’s never going to happen.

It’s not about how you start, but how you finish. We’ve been tipped over... chacater revealed. Team is just weak.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »
KenPom had MU around 25ish all season. KenPom is a better measure of talent than the weekly polls or our opinions.  Realistically we have an opportunity in the BE tournament to turn it around but we look like we are past our peak and Wojo is Wojo.

Agree coaches like Al do not come around often at Marquette. They do at the top BB schools. We need to be realistic until our program proves otherwise. After more than 50 years of watching MU basketball this is getting to be a rather old story. 

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
This is not a season of the choke. Fool’s gold was served to those who wanted to buy it. This is a decent team, but light years from being elite. You need talent or great coaching to be elite and the program lacks both.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »
Excuses, excuses, and more excuses. Five years of EXCUSES! Excuses are the tools of incompetence. Wojo is an INCOMPETENT coach and should be removed ASAP,
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »

Lol. “Lost the team.”  I swear this place comes up with dumber stuff each game.

You go from top 10 to unranked in 2 weeks. What do you call it?

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2019, 04:28:36 PM »
A lot of people on here gave themselves unrealistic expectations for this team based on a gaudy record and ranking, that ultimately was the result of some luck in close games and a weak conference. 

The metrics have had MU ranked in the 25-30 range pretty much all season.  This was never a top 10 caliber team, if we're being honest.

The team isn't playing well at the end of the season, which is a big concern, but also the "luck" has faded as things aren't bouncing our way in every close game now.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
This is not a season of the choke. Fool’s gold was served to those who wanted to buy it. This is a decent team, but light years from being elite. You need talent or great coaching to be elite and the program lacks both.
Fools gold was served? Whatever man.. so people wanted to believe this team was very good finally after 5 or 6 years of mediocrity. So what. Dont patronize people

feedback