Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of season contract extension for wojo?  (Read 15700 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: End of season contract extension for wojo?
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:31 PM »
For me, coaches need to win in March. November, December, January, and February no matta, hey?

Yes. And we are still in a good position to do that. Im optimistic,  bur if we crash out in the first round Scoop *should* burn
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
So yo, I like him bedder dan Crean. Butt, he lives in a result driven world. Know style points four "he's tryin' hard," hey?

Results have gotten better each year, that's producing results in my opinion.

I can rattle off a few programs that went with the approach of unrealistic results and ended up moving on from accomplished people that did wonders elsewhere while they never recovered.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »
Cheeks

There is still a lot of work to be done. Many on here thought this was a 9-10 man deep team and that did not pan out. I will agree that there is improvement this season, but I cannot major steps forward. IMO, the best two best teams we beat were Nova and Buffalo, both at home and rest of W's were fairly close contests against fair competition. At no point this season did I think that the program finally has turned the corner.

Basically, I feel similar to how I felt going into the season. They lack talent, at least tier one talent, and lack of athleticism. While Howard has been a scoring machine, it has taken him to carry the team far too much with his scoring. Right now, I see they have three legit D1 players and remainder is role players. Theo John surprised me, but he is a ten minute guy on a really good team. They need better players moving forward because Wojo has not shown that he is guy who is going outcoach anyone.

On a positive note, the team has provided some exciting moments and fun games to be at or watch on TV. That has made this season improvement to me. But, it really does come down to winning when it counts and I do not have much confidence this team is playing the second weekend of the tourney. Sadly, I do think some of the good luck this season created overly high expectations from some fans.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
Cheeks

There is still a lot of work to be done. Many on here thought this was a 9-10 man deep team and that did not pan out. I will agree that there is improvement this season, but I cannot major steps forward. IMO, the best two best teams we beat were Nova and Buffalo, both at home and rest of W's were fairly close contests against fair competition. At no point this season did I think that the program finally has turned the corner.

Basically, I feel similar to how I felt going into the season. They lack talent, at least tier one talent, and lack of athleticism. While Howard has been a scoring machine, it has taken him to carry the team far too much with his scoring. Right now, I see they have three legit D1 players and remainder is role players. Theo John surprised me, but he is a ten minute guy on a really good team. They need better players moving forward because Wojo has not shown that he is guy who is going outcoach anyone.

On a positive note, the team has provided some exciting moments and fun games to be at or watch on TV. That has made this season improvement to me. But, it really does come down to winning when it counts and I do not have much confidence this team is playing the second weekend of the tourney. Sadly, I do think some of the good luck this season created overly high expectations from some fans.

I respect you Goose, but the tone of this post and board sounds eerily close to Scoop right after IU. Love it. Keep it up.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2019, 10:41:35 PM »
For me, coaches need to win in March. November, December, January, and February no matta, hey?

So why were you complaining about losses in November?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2019, 10:45:23 PM »
Cheeks

El. Oh. El.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »
Colt
My tone really is not meant to be negative. I think there have been steps forward, just a lot left to be done. I have not seen the three losses because out of the country and my comments are based off 30 games, not three. To sum it, happy to see the progress, but not planning FF tickets for this or next season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
Colt
My tone really is not meant to be negative. I think there have been steps forward, just a lot left to be done. I have not seen the three losses because out of the country and my comments are based off 30 games, not three. To sum it, happy to see the progress, but not planning FF tickets for this or next season.

FF= Fiserv Forum or Final Four? I put my order in for the Final Four.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2019, 11:12:20 PM »
Dr. B
Final Four. I am planning on tickets for the other FF.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »
Cheeks

I have been of the opinion next year is the dream team because we will have a point guard.  I have said for years College basketball is a guards game and PG most critical, peeps finally came around on that one.  We should have quality guards and bigs next year.  Howard is the unknown and he is going to have to play some SG next year.  I still like this team in certain matchups but know we can get blown out against the wrong team.  Crapshoot .... depends totally on who we play.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
Dr. B
Final Four. I am planning on tickets for the other FF.

Goose,
Worst case, 2nd in BE regular season. Bye earned. 6-3 on the road, only BE Team with a winning road record for the entire season. Wooden Finalist.  BE Rookie of the Year finalist. Likely BE 2nd team finalist. Vastly improved defense that I didn't think was even possible.

The games MU has lost have been because of turnovers.  Fixable especially considering of Wojo's offensive past performance. Unforced. Teachable. The round robin is a killer for the BEAST.

This team needed adversity. It will bounce back.  Plenty to fix as I have pointed out. That said, this team can beat any team in the country. I plopped down $9000 to order tickets all the way to JayBee's trailer park double-wide in April.  I honestly can't believe you passed. It's been a fun year.  Really only Indiana has beat us.

Cheers! See you in Minnie as I know you can always get tickets.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2019, 01:38:47 AM »

If you don't win in those other months, then you are not playing after the first weekend in March.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2019, 06:00:55 AM »

So the entire season comes down to 3 regular season games, Conference tournament and NCAA tournament. You'd rather judge a coach and team at 12-28 (13-28 with play in game)  with both tournament championships than go 28-5 with the regular season championship. 

That's ridiculous. And I know it'd likely not happen but that is essentially what you just said.

Let's say after four years you had your choice of these March records which would you choose?

A) 6-6

B) 12-14

C) 10-9
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:27:37 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2019, 06:57:46 AM »
Goose,
Worst case, 2nd in BE regular season. Bye earned. 6-3 on the road, only BE Team with a winning road record for the entire season. Wooden Finalist.  BE Rookie of the Year finalist. Likely BE 2nd team finalist. Vastly improved defense that I didn't think was even possible.

The games MU has lost have been because of turnovers.  Fixable especially considering of Wojo's offensive past performance. Unforced. Teachable. The round robin is a killer for the BEAST.

This team needed adversity. It will bounce back.  Plenty to fix as I have pointed out. That said, this team can beat any team in the country. I plopped down $9000 to order tickets all the way to JayBee's trailer park double-wide in April.  I honestly can't believe you passed. It's been a fun year.  Really only Indiana has beat us.

Cheers! See you in Minnie as I know you can always get tickets.

You forgot coach of the year candidate

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2019, 07:09:24 AM »
So why were you complaining about losses in November?

Because it was painfully obvious, that in year 5, we were still short on talent and coaching.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2019, 07:18:41 AM »

Because it was painfully obvious, that in year 5, we were still short on talent and coaching.

Teams that are ranked as high as 10 in March and who will finish second in a top 5 conference aren’t that short of either.

Especially one where there are no seniors who are productive players.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:49 AM »
I have said for years College basketball is a guards game and PG most critical, peeps finally came around on that one.

Wow, Nostradamus is here among us

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
What a silly discussion, it is all about next year.  That is why he plays Joey so much.  Who cares about the past three games, they are learning experiences.  Don't fight the learning curve,  it is science.  I see it at work with the coach, players, fans, administration and even Scoop. 

Some of us are slow learners, but we all learn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »

Oh ... so it was chicos who convinced every single basketball analyst in America to utter "basketball is a guard's game" during every single broadcast for the last decade-plus!

What a silly discussion, it is all about next year.  That is why he plays Joey so much.  Who cares about the past three games, they are learning experiences.  Don't fight the learning curve,  it is science.  I see it at work with the coach, players, fans, administration and even Scoop. 

Huh?

Only those who you think Wojo is about anything but winning this season are the slow learners.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
Cheeks

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »

I thought last year was prep for this year?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »

Nope, just someone with a pair of eyes and common sense, but for years here I was challenged that it wasn't a guards game.  Literally years.  That push back finally stopped with everyone finally caught up.  The 3 point line changed basketball fundamentally.  Plus, great big dudes are in very short supply, you can't just go down to the corner gym to get one.  College coaches realized this, and knew if you had a great PG and solid guards, you could play with anyone assuming you had at least decent height to rebound, set some picks, etc.   Too many were caught up in what basketball used to be to not realize what it was becoming.

Do a search here for "guards game" going back 2008 to 2014 and see how much push back there was.  It's quite funny now to look at it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
Oh ... so it was chicos who convinced every single basketball analyst in America to utter "basketball is a guard's game" during every single broadcast for the last decade-plus!

Nope.....but as I told Waldo, go back and do a search here and how many people were defiant it wasn't a guards game.  Constantly saying we needed a powerful 5 and 4 to have any chance of winning.

And the guards game mantra from analysts (EVERY ALWAYS NEVER = LAZY) by no means were saying that in unanamity more than a decade ago (which is what decade plus means).

4ever, who I love to death here, and I had strong disagreements on this along with many others.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=22131.msg241988#msg241988

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=19309.msg195641#msg195641

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=530.msg3613#msg3613

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
Guilty as charged, my brother.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
Nope.....but as I told Waldo, go back and do a search here and how many people were defiant it wasn't a guards game.  Constantly saying we needed a powerful 5 and 4 to have any chance of winning.

And the guards game mantra from analysts (EVERY ALWAYS NEVER = LAZY) by no means were saying that in unanamity more than a decade ago (which is what decade plus means).

Ego much?

And yes, analysts, sportswriters, coaches and many others have been saying basketball is a guard's game for well over a decade. Just because you have been parroting it over and over as an anonymous interwebs dude for years doesn't mean you invented it.

Now, "4 or 5 years to judge" ... maybe I'll give you that one. Take the win and be satisfied, chicos!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback